Contacting Microsoft/XBox by phone about charges run up by damn kids

Associate
Hey folks,

Writing on behalf of my sister as she doesnt have an account on here.

Basically my 9 year old nephew's run up over £200 worth of charges on his XBox and she's panicking about it and is trying to find a phone number to call them up and try and get things sorted out.

I've had a quick search and couldnt see anything so was wondering if anyone had any info on this type of thing or ideally a phone number she can call.

The info I've been given is short and sweet something about repeated £9 charges to do with Roblox.

Any info or help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rik

Soldato
It’s not really the fault of the child, so I’m not sure why you have to put “damn kids” in the title. It would be more appropriate if you put “damn adult who should know better” :rolleyes: The child has done nothing wrong here so there’s no need to make it out that they have. They don’t know what they’re agreeing to when they’re pressing buttons!

You can try to contact them via their live chat. I used that when I bought Minecraft on my Xbox 360, didn’t play it and then wanted it on a new Xbox One instead. They refunded the 360 purchase and allowed me to purchase it on the One S instead. They were rather helpful.

Associate
OP
It’s not really the fault of the child, so I’m not sure why you have to put “damn kids” in the title. It would be more appropriate if you put “damn adult who should know better” :rolleyes: The child has done nothing wrong here so there’s no need to make it out that they have. They don’t know what they’re agreeing to when they’re pressing buttons!....

FYI thats called humour.

Soldato
FYI thats called humour.

Thanks for the FYI, but it wasn't really humorous. What is humorous is that your sister has allowed her child to run up charges of over £200 and doesn't know how to deal with it herself, and you feel it's funny to title a post blaming the child when it's clearly her fault.

Ree

Ree

Associate
was an article in the paper this week i read about a ten year old spending £1200 on fortnite and not a penny was returned. your sisters fault for not removing the payment details unfortunately.

Soldato
Lighten up lad!

I don't think there's anything wrong with my response tbh. It grinds my gears when people blame the child for something like this, when it's really the fault of the parent. Giving your child free access to a console and having credit card information saved to the profile you're using is just asking for trouble. There are ways to stop this from happening, like setting them up with their own profile etc. This could very easily have been prevented...

Soldato
Sorry, although the OP may not be happy about it but most people in this thread are correct. She will probably get 0p back. At the end of the day she is responsible. Leaving CC details in kids hands on a console is utterly stupid. Probably another parent that lets their kid sit on a tablet/mobile phone all day or on the Xbox to keep them entertained thinking that it will not cause them developmental issues growing up.

Associate
Only thing to suggest if Microsoft tell you to jog on - which they likely will as there are well documented ways and means of keeping the kids safe on the consoles, is to call the bank/credit card company and ask for a charge back for an unauthorised purchase.

Shawrey

Man of Honour
Sadly not an uncommon one - I've been in shops before and overheard customers kicking off because their kids have run up charges on the device they bought from the shop and wanting to refund the device and/or trying to get the shop to reimburse them for the charges their kids have run up in games, etc. (sometimes ends up with them storming out cussing and stamping).

Associate
In defence of the adult , from what i remember of xbox live purchases it auto saves your credentials as i remember using my card once and it saving despite not agreeing to it

Soldato
Only thing to suggest if Microsoft tell you to jog on - which they likely will as there are well documented ways and means of keeping the kids safe on the consoles, is to call the bank/credit card company and ask for a charge back for an unauthorised purchase.

Shawrey

Good way of potentially getting the Xbox account suspended too.

Associate
Good way of potentially getting the Xbox account suspended too.

It would almost certainly get the account suspended and possibly any linked devices blacklisted (not sure if they do that any more).

Just found this on a reddit post...

"If you have a billing question, a dispute over a mistakenly purchased item, a dispute over a fraudulently purchased item, or just want a refund for something, you have to contact Microsoft first. Every transaction goes through their system, and they're there to correct any errors or absolve most problems.

Chargebacks are the bane of every business, since the issuing bank usually wins. Microsoft combats this problem by permabanning accounts for "Marketplace Theft", because CB's typically leave you with a free item in the end.

Contesting a charge directly with your bank should be the absolute, last resort option. Banks even encourage you to settle it with the merchant first."

Wasn't aware getting a charge back could result in perma banning the account because it is effectively market place theft so accept my apologies on a bad suggestion!

Shawrey

Associate
i cant understand how people just whack their details on their kids accounts and think it will be ok they wont abuse it lol

yes i put mine on my lads but i also use the little thing called security where you can put a password for purchases so if anything is attempted to be purchased a screen shows up asking for the password

and guess what only i know it and if i agree to the purchase ie, pocket money has been given to me or its a gift then i will put the password in to allow that purchase ,

Back
Top Bottom