What camera? it’s been a while

Soldato
So I used to love photography, well I still do but over the past fews years I’ve had less and less opportunity to spend as much time doing it as a hobby as I would like. Logistics of taking out my ancient 5DmkII, multiple lenses and all the stuff that goes with it is just not practical/easy these days so I’m thinking about replacing it with something more compact/simpler but I have no idea what the options are.

Ideally looking for something smaller that still offers a quality upgrade over the 5DmkII, and will be thinking about having a big sell off of all my gear (camera, lenses, flashes, studio gear) to fund it.

So OcUK what can you suggest?

Soldato
Tricky. If you want to keep that full-frame quality then you'll need another full-frame camera. Okay, Canon & Nikon have now joined Sony in the full-frame mirrorless ranks which reduces the body size but you still need equivalent lenses. However, sensor technology has improved a lot in the ten years since the 5DII was released so If you're prepared to compromise on image quality a bit a high-end bridge camera with a 1" sensor like one of the Sony DSC-RX10 range might be what you need. Dynamic range is the main casualty of the smaller sensor. Canon also sells this sort of camera which would let you keep your current flashes.

Soldato
Another vote on the RX10 series if you are willing to go with a bridge camera, they do seem to pump out some pretty good looking shots.
Other than that maybe something like an A7III with one of the slower and smaller primes like the 35mm f2.8 from Zeiss or Rokinon. or if you needed more of a range the Tamron 28-75 f2.8 is also a cracking lens, pretty cheap and would probably cover most of your needs, it also when paired with the A7III is a pretty light combo at 1500 grams total.

Soldato
Its sounds like you may need to challenge yourself as to what you want and why you havent been using your existing stuff?

Do you want the size weight saving or the full frame asthetic because the reailty is the lenses for the Sony Emount range often negate the saving if you want the f1.8 / f1.4 glass. There some nice smaller f2.8 primes but that may not but enough.

If the size and weight gains are what you seek I'd seriously have a look at the m4/3 range from Olympus & Panasonic.

Soldato
OP
Its sounds like you may need to challenge yourself as to what you want and why you havent been using your existing stuff?
Why I haven't been using it so much is easy, life (kids/work/home) had been consuming more time so even when I have been taking pictures I've had less time for PP work which in turn puts me off using it even further. I've also been taking a lot more video footage and have been enjoying processing that however I'm slowly starting to get a little more free time so would like to try and use the camera more.

As I say it's been a while since I've kept up to date with photography technology/capability so was interested to know if there were smaller/lighter options now that produce better quality (or at least the same) than what I have with the 5DmkII, however if that's not the case I'm happy to stick with what I have. As much as I would like to I'm not sure I can justify the cost of upgrading to a newer 5D body.

olv

olv

Soldato
A modern mirrorless camera with an APS-C size sensor will match your 5D for resolution, ISO performance and dynamic range. I would dip your toe in the water before committing to a full switch by buying a cheap second hand body and one reasonable prime lens and seeing how it works for you. If you don't like it you can sell it on for little loss before selling all your kit and spending a lot on an alternative system you might not like.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fuji-x-e2-digital-camera-body-black-used-1668911/

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fujifilm-35mm-f2-r-wr-fujinon-lens-black-used-1673431/

I know Fuji stuff so that's what I would go with but there will be a similar Sony setup.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
A modern mirrorless camera with an APS-C size sensor will match your 5D for resolution, ISO performance and dynamic range. I would dip your toe in the water before committing to a full switch by buying a cheap second hand body and one reasonable prime lens and seeing how it works for you. If you don't like it you can sell it on for little loss before selling all your kit and spending a lot on an alternative system you might not like.

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/fujifilm-35mm-f2-r-wr-fujinon-lens-black-used-1673431/

I know Fuji stuff so that's what I would go with but there will be a similar Sony setup.

I have this combo and it's really good for a small compact kit. No issues walking round with it strapped to my wrist while out and about.

All the photos on my Flickr are using this setup https://flic.kr/ps/3jKeXp I'm new to photography but hopefully it should show you what you can expect from the camera/lens.

Associate

I recently bought this exact combo. im happy with it and its not too expensive.

to get more compact you could always get the 27mm f2.8 pancake

Last edited:
Soldato
Why I haven't been using it so much is easy, life (kids/work/home) had been consuming more time so even when I have been taking pictures I've had less time for PP work which in turn puts me off using it even further. I've also been taking a lot more video footage and have been enjoying processing that however I'm slowly starting to get a little more free time so would like to try and use the camera more.

As I say it's been a while since I've kept up to date with photography technology/capability so was interested to know if there were smaller/lighter options now that produce better quality (or at least the same) than what I have with the 5DmkII, however if that's not the case I'm happy to stick with what I have. As much as I would like to I'm not sure I can justify the cost of upgrading to a newer 5D body.

On the basis of this - it would be marginal gains, and a cost benefit analysis would definitely say stay put.

Associate

I was in a similar situation with a load of kit sat unused in a cupboard due to just not really having the chance or the motivation to use it. I had a Nikon D7000 and a load of half decent glass. I traded it in for a Sony A7 (mark 1) and the kit lens. With the cashback offer I actually gained some cash from doing it! The A7 appealed to me as I don't shoot video, it was full frame, and is a fantastic stills camera for the price. I have since bought a few old m42 lenses and an adapter as the ability to adapt old lenses appealed to me (plus I can't afford the Sony ones!) I find that I'm taking it out more as it's smaller and lighter and I'm really getting back into photography again. I'm not saying an A7 is what you need, but something newer, smaller and with less lenses/junk to cart around is a good way to go.

Dave

Soldato
I was in a similar situation with a load of kit sat unused in a cupboard due to just not really having the chance or the motivation to use it. I had a Nikon D7000 and a load of half decent glass. I traded it in for a Sony A7 (mark 1) and the kit lens. With the cashback offer I actually gained some cash from doing it! The A7 appealed to me as I don't shoot video, it was full frame, and is a fantastic stills camera for the price. I have since bought a few old m42 lenses and an adapter as the ability to adapt old lenses appealed to me (plus I can't afford the Sony ones!) I find that I'm taking it out more as it's smaller and lighter and I'm really getting back into photography again. I'm not saying an A7 is what you need, but something newer, smaller and with less lenses/junk to cart around is a good way to go.

Dave

Im exactly the same as you, have a load of old AF minolta glass sitting on my shelves so with the LA-EA4 adaptor I can happily use them retaining full AF, metering etc so hwve recently bought an A7 II.

Soldato
OP
I had been giving this some more thought and come to the decision that whatever I end up with (current or new) I'm still going to have a relatively large camera regardless to retain the level of quality of would like.

Mirrorless full frame would be great but seeing as Canon's offerings are yet to launch I can count that out on both price and availability, which is a shame as I could use my existing lenses/flashguns.

What has got me thinking though is maybe trying a second hand Sony body with a lens adaptor, something like a A7Rii (or possibly a new A7iii, non R).

As ever thoughts/input welcomed. :)

Soldato
The battery life on the older generation Sony's will frustrate you coming from a Canon DSLR, so I would bear that in mind when thinking about trialing an older Sony body. Maybe rent one for a bit and see if it's worth the switch?

Soldato
I have an A7 now, and had a 5DMkII in the past.

The A7 is nice for sure, and compact compared to a 5D2.....but the difference in size/weight isn't going to make magically make you go and take more pictures. You've still got to carry a body and lenses. Also...yes, technology has advanced...but the 5D2 was and still is an excellent camera, and in 99% of situations will not be the limiting factor in your photography.

Of course, if what you really want is an excuse to buy more gear....don't kid yourself, just do it :p

Soldato
As I said right at the start, full-frame mirrorless will only save weight on the body; the lenses aren't significantly different in weight from their DSLR equivalents.
A Sony A7 II, A7R II or A7 III with a Sigma or Metabones adapter will let you use your Canon lenses but I'm not sure there'll be any great advantage over the 5D2.

Caporegime
If you want to reduce size & weight, then Micro four thirds is the only realistic way to go about this. Depending on the type of photos, if you're not pixel peeping, I would be confident you would be satisfied with what the format can offer you to be honest.

The sensors are smaller so they are not great with noise handling and dynamic range is not as good as a full frame sensor for obvious reasons. DOF has to be worked differently but is more than achievable. But in short they are incredibly capable cameras which surprise many and due to their size and weight they have rekindled the "get up and go" factor many lose when getting into heavy fast lenses and bodies.

It really depends on your priorities. I love my M43 gear, I will be complimenting it with a A7R3 next year as I primarily shoot landscapes and want the "best" possible setup for it without going medium format but will retain the M43 for everythng else but I very very rarely feel like I am missing out on anything due to using M43 equipment.

Check out the Olympus O-MD E-M5 Mark II or the flagship O-MD E-M1 Mark II. Both are excellent cameras, the latter is geared more towards action/sports/bird & wildlife type shots and the former is more of a landscape, portraits/street kind of camera.

As mentioned it really depends on your priorities though :)

If you just feel like getting back into it the good thing is that M43 is generally cheap as chips compared to the gear you're used to buying :p

Caporegime
I'm intrigued as to why you wouldn't go medium format, may I ask why?
Mainly a discrepancy between the price of the equipment and my bank balance :p

It was discussed a bit in Screeeechs thread, 10k lenses...5k bodies...its beyond affordable for me. I make good money and glad I can fund this photography "habit" but that is too much :) - If I had the cash I would be all over it. But yeah, I don't :p :)

Back
Top Bottom