Headset for streaming / gaming (PC + PS4)

Associate
Hey,

Wasn't sure if this was the best forum for the question so please let me know or move if it isn't.

I used to have a pretty rubbish headset for PS4 that my son now uses on PC so I've been left with in-ear headphones where the right one doesn't even work!

I'm looking at finally getting myself a nice upgrade. Here's what I want to use it for:

- Playing games on PS4 and PC
- Streaming games

I do have a Blue Yeti mic for when I stream so it doesn't necessarily need to be a headset, although the option of being able to talk in a PS4 party would be good.

For gaming I've started playing MW2 again and will get the new CoD, so footsteps and stuff like that would be super handy to be able to hear, that level of headset (shout-out to my old XBOX 360 turtle beach headset!)

I know the AKG-702s have been recommended a lot. Are they that good?

Only downside of those I can see is not being able to use it in a party on PS4.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks!

Soldato
AKG K702 does in games what's it's been designed to do: Gives neutral "pathologically" analyzing sound.
(with neutral bass which does only what's asked by signal)

Though if fed normal speaker stereo mix, sounds are very accurately positioned inside left or right ear, or in center of head, no matter the headphones.
Without binaural cues brain simply can't position sounds elsewhere.
So for proper immersion headphone gaming needs binaural sound simulation.
It mimics directly in signal direction dependant changes caused by head to signal received by both ears from sound source.

Most sound cards have had algorithms for that for decade.
Creative actually just released updated Sound BlasterX G6 with AE-5's headphone amp and Dolby Digital decoding for use with surround sound from consoles.
So that would be good option to go with K702.

Of course if your head shape differs from average, then your personal binaural cues differ from that used by current algorithms, decreasing immersion.
(bigger the difference to average, the lower the immersion)
Though Creative should be working on to release products with head and ear shape customizable HRTF algorithm.
With that it's possible to get basically completely real feeling directionality, regardless of listener's "non-standard" head shape.
That would certainly give best immersion.
But if you had good headphones there are Youtube vids you could use to test immersion of existing algorithm.

Soldato
AKG K702 are great headphones, but without an additional device, such as the G6 mentioned above, the PS4 won't do them much justice. The PS4 controller has really only got enough power for easy to drive headphones.

I suppose it depends on what you are looking to spend and whether you want just to connect a headset or headphones without messing around with another device.

HyperX Cloud II is a good headset that USB connection and has surround sound functionality. Works with the PS4 as well. Not quite on the same level as the K702, but a good compromise if you'd rather a simple solution.

Associate
OP
Thanks all!

Not sure what I want to do re - extra items needed to use it as a headset. All depends how often I'm going to be joining a party I suppose. I don't do that often now but may do with games like CoD, anthem and Division 2 coming out.

The one mentioned above (HyperX) I think we use in work and the earpieces are quite small for me and not sure I could use it for hours.

What about Astro A40s? Are they good for the price?

I'm probably looking at around a max of £100-150 but unless there's a real benefit to sound quality then I'll happily come down in price.

Soldato
I would look at the Sennheiser range. They're low impedance so will work fine out of your PS4 and PC, offer good levels of detail and the microphones are excellent. Game One or Game Zero.

Soldato
What about Astro A40s? Are they good for the price?
Average gaming trinket with bundled Dolby Headphone sound card.
Despite of hyped name Dolby Headphone itself is average compared to Creative's current algorithms.
And cheap closed design headphone certainly isn't good for accuracy needed by binaural sound.

Definitely wouldn't pay any of those higher prices for gaming trinkets.
And with experience from 30€ Superlux HD-330 would have myself trouble justifying even those Kingston HyperXes.
Heck, problem is already in almost all gaming stuff being closed design.
Stereo music forgives lot without sounding bad, but binaural sound demands magnitudes higher accuracy for good directionality and feel of distances.

Associate
Phillips Fidelio X2? - really easy to drive, so no need to amp to start with, decent soundstage and convenience of being able to plug the VModa Boom Pro right in without an adaptor. Right at the top of your £150 budget though.

Associate
OP
Average gaming trinket with bundled Dolby Headphone sound card.
Despite of hyped name Dolby Headphone itself is average compared to Creative's current algorithms.
And cheap closed design headphone certainly isn't good for accuracy needed by binaural sound.

Definitely wouldn't pay any of those higher prices for gaming trinkets.
And with experience from 30€ Superlux HD-330 would have myself trouble justifying even those Kingston HyperXes.
Heck, problem is already in almost all gaming stuff being closed design.
Stereo music forgives lot without sounding bad, but binaural sound demands magnitudes higher accuracy for good directionality and feel of distances.

Well I certainly like the price of those...

How bad would the noise be if I'm streaming at same time with open back headphones? I know the blue yeti picks up quite a lot of background noise.

Might be worth just picking these up and getting a separate headset for the small amount of times I actually want to be in a PS4 party.

Soldato
How bad would the noise be if I'm streaming at same time with open back headphones? I know the blue yeti picks up quite a lot of background noise.
You'll be going deaf far before sound leak becomes problem for mic.
Keyboard makes magnitude more noise than sound leak from open headphones at hearing safe volume.
Mechanical keyboard double so.

Shame that Superlux has somewhat budget size ear pads and coiled cable is little tight.
For its price that HD330 performs still well when compared to Beyerdynamic DT990, which is one of the best (reasonably priced) headphones for "balanced" gaming with good bass punch.
Would expect it to beat any strong bass closed design gaming brand headphone by clear margin.

Closed design and stronger bass is simply very challenging combination to balance even for experienced audio makers.
Design simply tends to cause some kind resonances etc which make balancing mids and treble hard.
And interaural cues brain uses for positioning sounds are mostly at above 1kHz.
Simply wouldn't trust 99+% of gaming trinket reviews.

First minute of this is excellent quick test for true gaming abilities of headphones:
Besides good directionality there should be also clear feel of distance, instead of all sounds coming from next to ear with some sounds just being more muffled than others.
After actually good open headphones closed gaming trinkets feel like having head in bucket/cupboard.

Back
Top Bottom