want to fix old 5.1 speaker cable a little help plz

Caporegime
my cables completely wrecked inside with broken wires, I have to fiddle with it sometimes to get all the speakers to work.
P4HRkRB.jpg
Basically I want to chop the cable where it enters the control speaker, splice a new wire on with new jacks.
do it for as cheap as possible.

I see 5.1 audio cables for computers with the 3x jacks to 3x jacks.
but I could buy three stereo cables not caring about the colours for a fraction of the price.

5.1 is basically 3 stereo cables with different colours right? inside the actual cable nothing is different?

Soldato
Yeah, 6 channels, so you generally get a stereo cable shared between two channels. Commonly; front left and right, subwoofer and centre; rear left and right.

I'm guessing that the cable that comes out of the speakers is 3 stereo cables where the outer sheaths are conjoined? Should be easy enough to separate each cable and cut it off and splice on a new cable.

Wires inside each cable should be colour coded; so, likely red, black/white with ground possibly just bare copper wires.

Front and rear speakers should be easy enough. Commonly; red is right channel, black/white is left.

When it comes to the subwoofer/centre cable though, I have no idea which will be which. An quick search might give you the answer, but failing that, trial and error. All you can do is get them mixed up.

Soldato
When it comes to the subwoofer/centre cable though, I have no idea which will be which. An quick search might give you the answer, but failing that, trial and error. All you can do is get them mixed up.
Multimeter would tell it easily from cut away old cable to which wire what part of connector goes.
Though sleeve should be always ground.

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, 6 channels, so you generally get a stereo cable shared between two channels. Commonly; front left and right, subwoofer and centre; rear left and right.

I'm guessing that the cable that comes out of the speakers is 3 stereo cables where the outer sheaths are conjoined? Should be easy enough to separate each cable and cut it off and splice on a new cable.

Wires inside each cable should be colour coded; so, likely red, black/white with ground possibly just bare copper wires.

Front and rear speakers should be easy enough. Commonly; red is right channel, black/white is left.

yea its 3 cables bonded together doesn't look like the pic.

I sliced one open and it was a terribly thin black wire, terribly thin red wire and bare metal wire wrapped around them both. (whatever channel + whatever channel + earth)
Guess they are all the same

I could just desolder the old cables and solder new to the pcb but im to lazy and splicing is easier if one of the channels is reversed. maybe I should check if theres a print out on the PCB for each channel though to make things easier

Guess ill get 3 fairly short stereo cables then

Back
Top Bottom