Galaxy Tab S4

Soldato
Agree with your other points but what makes you say the above?

The pencil is better supported by 3rd party apps, its that simple because of the way its baked into the OS.

The S-Pen is great but 3rd party support is limited which makes it uses outside of the Samsung apps challenging. An engineer at work designed a 120k sq ft warehouse extension with just an iOS app and pencil which was pretty good.

Kainz, couldnt agree more, I fly every week and live in hotels on work and its an Android tablet in my bag for flights and travel media consumption, there is no way I could live with iOS.

I also couldnt be doing with the nearly sqaure 3:2 screens, 2:35:1 movies look awful on them as most of it is borders.

L33

L33

Permabanned
Pixel C is a superb device and google being google just ignored it like they always do their products.
Samsung are no different when it comes to tablets, it seems as if they instantaneously wash their hands of the product as soon as it launches. The S3 launched with advertised software features missing, took Samsung 14 months to fix the wifi sleep battery drain issue (I don't think they even intended to fix it, it was a happy coincidence of the Oreo upgrade) and at this point the most recent update is ~5 months old containing the April security updates.

As for them having no competitors, the Huawei Mediapad M5 (8.4", 10.8" and 10.8" pro) are definitely premium android tablets worth a look.

Soldato
Samsung are no different when it comes to tablets, it seems as if they instantaneously wash their hands of the product as soon as it launches. The S3 launched with advertised software features missing, took Samsung 14 months to fix the wifi sleep battery drain issue (I don't think they even intended to fix it, it was a happy coincidence of the Oreo upgrade) and at this point the most recent update is ~5 months old containing the April security updates.

As for them having no competitors, the Huawei Mediapad M5 (8.4", 10.8" and 10.8" pro) are definitely premium android tablets worth a look.
Yep, I'd agree with you on that regarding Samsung abandoning stuff just as fast - though that may have been in the past...the way they support their current phones, in terms of security updates anyway is quite good - maybe things have now changed with the S4? I know my Samsung Tab S8.4 was pretty much dead from an OS point of view when I bought it so Cyanogen/Lineage hit that thing asap

Associate

I considered the Mediapad tabs, but the reports of shared BT and WiFi aerials and using BT reducing WiFi speeds stopped me looking any further.
At this point, despite the high price, the S4 is looking like my only option at the moment.
I'm just hoping to find one with a small discount.

Soldato
I love the s4 me , it's quick considering it's got older specs , the Samsung dex is brilliant for multi tasking and you'll struggle to find a better tablet screen to watch media on , the oled screen is gorgeous, which is great for me , and you can plug into any tv using the usb c to hdmi adapter , utilizing dex and the tablet turns into a track pad so can watch stuff on the tv if you don't have a Samsung tv :) ... I agree it's a tad pricey but I got it 0% interest and the keyboard cover for free so hasn't worked out too bad! Plus the s pen is included , unlike the pencil

Soldato
I really want one of these but it's not enough of an improvement over the Pixel C to justify it.
Indeed. (Un)Fortunately for me, my second Pixel C died earlier this year and was still under warranty. I got a full refund since Google has discontinued the tablet and am now in full possession of a S4; really like it. Sleek and thin and holds battery very well.

Soldato
ive just recieved the keyboard cover, really impressed with the whole thing now i think its needed to use it how it was designed with dex in mind. multitasking is surprisingly smooth. the only thing it maybe is missing is a track pad but you can just connect a bluetooth mouse if your that bothered.

Soldato
OP
ive just recieved the keyboard cover, really impressed with the whole thing now i think its needed to use it how it was designed with dex in mind. multitasking is surprisingly smooth. the only thing it maybe is missing is a track pad but you can just connect a bluetooth mouse if your that bothered.

Are you finding the cover adds a lot of weight? I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard and Dex is pretty good. I also like sitting at the dining room table using keyboard short cuts like ESC to go back a step and PAGE UP to go to the top of forum pages etc..

The screen is also excellent. :)

Soldato
Are you finding the cover adds a lot of weight? I'm using a Bluetooth keyboard and Dex is pretty good. I also like sitting at the dining room table using keyboard short cuts like ESC to go back a step and PAGE UP to go to the top of forum pages etc..

The screen is also excellent. :)

It does add a little bit of weight as it feels like a really premium quality case and keybboard, the keys have a really nice feel. i wuoldnt have the tab withought this case though now that i have it. Dex is really good, practically a laptop on a tablet. really do love this thing and the fact its android means you can do so much more in terms of media etc.

Soldato
Indeed. (Un)Fortunately for me, my second Pixel C died earlier this year and was still under warranty. I got a full refund since Google has discontinued the tablet and am now in full possession of a S4; really like it. Sleek and thin and holds battery very well.
The amount of flak I give google is quite absurd (justified though!) but I have to admit that is a brilliant move by them. I hope I have such luck should mine suddenly bite the bullet too.

Soldato
Aye. I effectively owned a (two) Pixel C for two years for free! Can't knock Google`s customer support at all. Really enjoying the tab, even though it's only 0630 in Farmington,NM and I'm stuck in Marriot Courtyard hotel.

Debating whether or not pick up the official keyboard cover or wait for third party offering.

L33

L33

Permabanned
Had a while with my Tab S4 and have used it extensively and compared to other tablets I own for development purposes - though for the sake of this comparison the Mediapad M5, Tab S3 and iPad pro are probably the only ones I have that are true 'competitors'. Quick list of what I felt:

1. Tab S4 solves the bizarre Tab S3 performance issues. Honestly that is the one and only reason I rate it higher than the S3.
1a. Performance is good. Occasional Samsung hiccups but when it is running well it feels quicker than the Mediapad M5 if you really pay attention. iPad pro of course blows them all out of the water.
2. Whoever decided to remove the fingerprint sensor and opt for iris scanning needs to be shot. Iris scanning on a tablet is clumsy, irritating and inconvenient. Fingerprint unlocking was easy and could be completed regardless of the tablets position (held, flat on desk, stood up etc).
3. Both the s-pen and the book cover are slightly better on the Tab S3. The older S-pen is nicely weighted with a metal clip, the old book cover is insanely thin and magnetically attached rather than the tacky looking plastic clip retention of the new one. Neither are really worth £60 though.
4. Speaking of covers, both the S3 and S4 keyboard covers are silly. A decent slimline bluetooth keyboard (i.e. a Logitech K810, K380) is a far better option, less cramped and free to be positioned independently of the tablet, can be used with other devices etc.
5. The 'tuned by AKG' speakers on the Tab S3 and S4 are both garbage. The iPad pro and Mediapad M5 embarrass them, even the 8.4" Mediapad sounds far better.
6. Same silly glass back as the S3
7. Drawing/S-pen on the S3 and S4 seems identical in terms of input latency and general performance. I use Artflow & Infinite Painter and both work perfectly. I have the non-pro Mediapad so can't compare the M-pen. iPad pro with apple pencil feels like it has far less input latency.
8. S4 seems to suffer really badly from redraw/refresh-induced 'tilting' when scrolling in portrait. For example open this link and scroll up & down holding the tablet in portrait.

Sounds like I'm knocking the tablet but I'm just pointing out some of the worst bits. It is a good tablet, very good. Personally I don't think it is quite worth £599, but it is the best Android tablet available at the moment.

If you do not draw (or otherwise use the S-pen) and are just after a fast tablet for games and media consumption, I'd say the Mediapad M5 non-pro is far better value for money. The screen isn't quite as good (its still very good) but the sound is miles better. The 10.8" version seems to be on offer regularly for ~£250 which is less than half the cost of the Tab S4.

this or the MS Surface go?
For what tasks?

Soldato

Thanks for the detailed review. I'm in the market for a tablet & have been considering the S4 to replace an aging Asus T100 chi.
Only really needed for media playback, web browsing & occasional work, so a windows based unit not really needed. The Mediapad looks & sounds a good option.

Just need to choose a keyboard to go with it.

Back
Top Bottom