Best full frame mirrorless out now?

Associate
So know that all the players have shown their hands, which one? My initial thoughts:

Canon EOS R:
  • Excellent lens ecosystem
  • No IBS which is a deal breaker
  • Great video codec in C-Log plus 4:2:2 10-bit via HDMI out
  • But video is cropped
  • Excellent dual-pixel AF
  • Very ingenious lens adapter with in-built filter holder
Nikon Z6/Z7:
  • IBS
  • Great full-frame video codec 4:2:2 10-bit via HDMI out
Sony A7R III:
  • 5 axis IBS
  • Full-frame video in S-log
  • Dual memory card slot

Caporegime
I don;t think Canon and nikon have shown their hands yet. Just pushed out their first models. To get a clearer picture you will have to wait a few years I imagine. But if you have a current generation DSLR none of the FF mirrorless solutions are particular enticing so it would be worth waiting anyway.

Man of Honour
I can't comment about the Nikon or the Canon version but I'm highly impressed from what I've seen of the A7R III.. Superb in low light, great AF functions too particularly with face and eye detection. It's the camera I'd most likely go to to when I make the jump the FF. As I said, I can only go by the reviews I've read and those that have one. The Non R is equally impressive.

And

And

Associate
Don't know what the hang up over IBIS is all about when the majority of lenses have IS and/or you can use a tripod. IBIS/IS does not guarantee sharp images.

The most mature (FF Mirrorless) system is Sony's which at the moment would seem the logical choice unless you're already heavily invested in Nikon/Canon or looking to switch.

Associate
OP
Don't know what the hang up over IBIS is all about when the majority of lenses have IS and/or you can use a tripod. IBIS/IS does not guarantee sharp images.

The most mature (FF Mirrorless) system is Sony's which at the moment would seem the logical choice unless you're already heavily invested in Nikon/Canon or looking to switch.

i did have a look at Canon EF lens and the new mount lens but the ones I wanted dont have IS.

Associate
OP
No, the best full frame Mirrorless out right now, without a doubt, is the current generation Sony series. It’s the most feature-complete and has the most complete native lens selection.

the only thing I didnt like about the Sony is it's AF isnt as good as Canons.

Soldato
Massively disappointed in Canon's offering. New lens mount but they will throw in an adaptor because they know most want to use their current perfectly functioning lenses. Why not just make the mount work without conversion....

Body size is pretty large, lens sizes are insane, 1 slot only, cropped video.....Someone needs to wake them up and tell them its 2018.

Just seems they could have come out swinging, instead they are just going to cater for the diehard Canon fans (if there are any left) who will happily go out and be mugged by the costs of these new lenses.

So at present, It has to be Sony.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't get why no one has mentioned adapters for Canon EF to Sony ??????? works great !!!

I use Sony A73 and Canons glass - awesome combo, the sigma adaptor I use just gets better and better with firmware updates - and iv no complaints about focus speed - its no different using it on the Sony vs mounted on my 5D3 - except the Sony has eye AF and tracks much better - also the Sony camera being mirrorless has meant my 'average' canon glass has become insane sharp now - my Canon 85mm F1.8 is an optical beast on the Sony - sharper than a sharp thing on a pointy stick - on ANY Canon body - even calibrated its just 'not bad' sharpness - clearly the Sonys sensor is allowing it to be used to its absolute maximum capability and pin sharp 'focus by sensor' is letting my canon glass shine.

All Sony need to do now to dominate the market is bring out a A7 mk4 - put a side flippy screen on it - perhaps add a couple more video codec options and max HDMI out stuff and boom, ill never buy canon again - easily doable for Sony now.

Caporegime
I don't get why no one has mentioned adapters for Canon EF to Sony ??????? works great !!!

I use Sony A73 and Canons glass - awesome combo, the sigma adaptor I use just gets better and better with firmware updates - and iv no complaints about focus speed - its no different using it on the Sony vs mounted on my 5D3 - except the Sony has eye AF and tracks much better - also the Sony camera being mirrorless has meant my 'average' canon glass has become insane sharp now - my Canon 85mm F1.8 is an optical beast on the Sony - sharper than a sharp thing on a pointy stick - on ANY Canon body - even calibrated its just 'not bad' sharpness - clearly the Sonys sensor is allowing it to be used to its absolute maximum capability and pin sharp 'focus by sensor' is letting my canon glass shine.

All Sony need to do now to dominate the market is bring out a A7 mk4 - put a side flippy screen on it - perhaps add a couple more video codec options and max HDMI out stuff and boom, ill never buy canon again - easily doable for Sony now.

A73 is IMO the best bang for buck camera out now. It is insane the technology you get with this and it opens a LOT of options for glass due to the adaptor.

For me the thing they need to update are the EVF and the LCD and the touch controls which is lacking to the point of a joke.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
My vote would be for the A7 III, I am so impressed with mine. :D

The only small complaints I have with it are the EVF and the rear screen but it doesn't effect the operation of the camera, I'm sure Sony will address this in the next version and the A7S III.

Associate
I find the AF in the Sony is too good, it feels like cheating, especially with eye af.

This. Anyone who argues that Sony’s AF isn’t as good as Canon’s needs to really try out the latest generation Sony bodies. Dual pixel AF with video is still the standard, granted, but honestly the Sony is now so good it’s negligible in my opinion. That and you don’t have the ridiculous crop in 4K.

Caporegime
This. Anyone who argues that Sony’s AF isn’t as good as Canon’s needs to really try out the latest generation Sony bodies. Dual pixel AF with video is still the standard, granted, but honestly the Sony is now so good it’s negligible in my opinion. That and you don’t have the ridiculous crop in 4K.

Dual AF is great in video but its not the same in stills, it can't do the same frame rate either.

Back
Top Bottom