Mission : lets see if we can make a decent PSU die

Associate
so... heres where I am at
see specs in sig for reference , just purchased a 2080 to replace the 1070 in the sig … so its a waiting game.
transplanted the PSU I bought 2 years ago into current rig ( again see sig ) both the cpu and gpu are both clocked to the baws ( actually running a hungrier 780 atm as doner card whilst wait for the rays to arrive ) and hasn't missed a beat despite being only a 450w. I suspect its capable of more and is reservedly spec'd by superflower. I intend to overclock the new gpu to its neck and see where I go from there.

so my question / aim is …. I do intend on buying a new psu however I would like to see this little beauty die a death … just because. so , do we reckon a 2080 @ 2000mhz for example and current rig would end this poor psu ? or do we rekon itll champ it on out. or do you reckon itll die and take everything with it because I was mean to it ?

just a fun thread , will be on going fort next month or so whilst hardware comes in .

Associate
so... heres where I am at
see specs in sig for reference , just purchased a 2080 to replace the 1070 in the sig … so its a waiting game.
transplanted the PSU I bought 2 years ago into current rig ( again see sig ) both the cpu and gpu are both clocked to the baws ( actually running a hungrier 780 atm as doner card whilst wait for the rays to arrive ) and hasn't missed a beat despite being only a 450w. I suspect its capable of more and is reservedly spec'd by superflower. I intend to overclock the new gpu to its neck and see where I go from there.

so my question / aim is …. I do intend on buying a new psu however I would like to see this little beauty die a death … just because. so , do we reckon a 2080 @ 2000mhz for example and current rig would end this poor psu ? or do we rekon itll champ it on out. or do you reckon itll die and take everything with it because I was mean to it ?

just a fun thread , will be on going fort next month or so whilst hardware comes in .

If it's not a decent PSU, you could end up taking out the components with it.... probably not a wise move. The whole point is that you don't want them to go bang :D

I do like your thinking though....

Associate
OP
If it's not a decent PSU, you could end up taking out the components with it.... probably not a wise move. The whole point is that you don't want them to go bang :D

I do like your thinking though....

Its decent enough . superflower are always my go to . ooooph , just means I'll have to buy more ;) . not to worried tbh I just want it to give up on me , may actually load it with older hardware that's probs allot more inefficiant . have spare corsair PSUs etc for testing but just wanna dee a good part go out in glory .

Associate
Its decent enough . superflower are always my go to . ooooph , just means I'll have to buy more ;) . not to worried tbh I just want it to give up on me , may actually load it with older hardware that's probs allot more inefficiant . have spare corsair PSUs etc for testing but just wanna dee a good part go out in glory .

In that case let it pop ;0

Soldato
You are not going to be pulling 450W with that build unless you're doing some serious benchmarking and OC'ing.

I'd obviously see what info the reviews next week throw up regards power consumption, but assuming no annomalies, you should be fine in day to day use. I've seen plenty of people run 1080Ti's with a 450W and no issues, and that includes some power hungry games, but tests have shown things rarely getting above 300W or so.

People WAYYYYYYY over estimate PSU requirements, even those who think they're not. The standard of the PSU is a far more significant factor, component quality, voltage ripple etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its decent enough . superflower are always my go to
Yeah, Superflower is decent enough that after making reputation using quality capacitor in Golden Green, they "updated" it to Golden Green HX with third tier C(r)apXons.

Anyway if you want to make PSU go bang there's better way than risking any PC parts.
Though would prefer to not list steps to do it, in case some "not the brightest bulb in the box" outsmarts him/herself.
(though that would be just natural selection...)

Associate
OP
So that's the PSU on its way out now :) , cant confirm exactly whats going inside it but wow the noise :p … so with a fairly heafty overclock and increase in voltage on the CPU and the increased power limit and overclock on the 2080 combined with a fair amount of drives and peripherals I was pulling past 550w under heavy load.

The psu under normal use sounds fine , the fan bearing sounds fine but sounds like arching when pushed past and over 500w. which was an immediate shut down and strip the build moment.

cant see any obvious signs of damage across the psb or burns . again testing sounds fine and working okay on games where the demand isn't there on the hardware. but soon as I load something like forza horizon 4 maxed out at an unlocked framerate then the PSU emits an auidible arching sound.

SO , now its time to replace the beauty , have seen two PSUs . one im intamitly familir with , Leadex Superflower 650w or one ive read a kitguru review on and came away impressed with , but with the company name and OEM being less then reputable in terms of history , because I have an RGB build , its the aerocool p650. looks good , at a good price but with again the name not going for it .

Back
Top Bottom