£50 seems to be becoming the average price for new games

Caporegime
I have said this for a long time but people seem to think games are too expensive even when not impacted by inflation for some reason. It seems to be a common thing on PCs in particular that people will spend £800+ Making a gaming PC then refuse to spend more than £30 on a game. It's odd.
bigger market base than ever though gaming isn't niche any more solely for the nerds and geeks, it's mainstream.

some games sure sell a lot more copies across the multiple consoles+pc than a lot of hollywood movies do.
probably a lot cheaper to make the game, but movies cost less...

some games the advertising budget dwarfs the actual cost to make and distribute the game.

it's like your paying £50 to subsidise the advertising of the game, all the free copies for streamers, all the payments to get people to stream a game

games theys days can make over a billion dollars in sales ffs prices are just crazy.

how many hollywood movies made a billion?

Caporegime
bigger market base than ever though gaming isn't niche any more solely for the nerds and geeks, it's mainstream.

some games sure sell a lot more copies across the multiple consoles+pc than a lot of hollywood movies do.
probably a lot cheaper to make the game, but movies cost less...

some games the advertising budget dwarfs the actual cost to make and distribute the game.

it's like your paying £50 to subsidise the advertising of the game, all the free copies for streamers, all the payments to get people to stream a game

games theys days can make over a billion dollars in sales ffs prices are just crazy.

how many hollywood movies made a billion?

Yeah but 30 years ago cinema tickets were not £12-15 each. It was like £3.50.

How many games make a billion? GTA5 size games are few and far between in terms of percentages out games out there. Game development costs now has gone up a lot more than before, you can have a entire team of people for 3 years working nothing more than the tech of sky physics and how it looks, salary has gone up, rent has gone up, everything has gone up but the cost of a game hasn't. Sure they try to get more from you with micro transactions, seasons pass but try to offer game as a service but many games are 1 off payment and the cost of that has been static.

(you get expensive games and cheap games to make, same as you can get a cheap movie to make and expensive movie)

Last edited:
Soldato
I remember paying £50 for a mega drive game.

I’m sure people remember paying £65 for a N64 game.

£50 after 30 years on with inflation is cheap to be fair....

Back then you purchased a game for £50 and that was it, you have the game. Now you purchase a game for £50 then expected you to pay another £20 to £25 a season pass, which most of the time is unannounced content. Some games have multiple season passes.

Lets not forgot about some developers who charge £50 plus for a game, then £20 to £25 for a season pass then have the cheek to put in game content which the season pass does not cover and have to be purchased separately. Can cost well over £100 for a standard game. I know Capcom took the pee with Street Fighter 2 back in the day but these days we have hit a new low in the gaming industry. Thankfully many customers are waking up it now.

The most I paid for a game was £60 for Donkey Kong 64 on release and that came with the N64 Expansion Pack which was required to play the game. So the extra charge was justified. No one could complain.

At once stage we had new releases for PS2/3 and Xbox 360 price at £37.99. Even instore at Game, now those days are gone :(

Associate
Back then you purchased a game for £50 and that was it, you have the game. Now you purchase a game for £50 then expected you to pay another £20 to £25 a season pass, which most of the time is unannounced content. Some games have multiple season passes.

Lets not forgot about some developers who charge £50 plus for a game, then £20 to £25 for a season pass then have the cheek to put in game content which the season pass does not cover and have to be purchased separately. Can cost well over £100 for a standard game. I know Capcom took the pee with Street Fighter 2 back in the day but these days we have hit a new low in the gaming industry. Thankfully many customers are waking up it now.

The most I paid for a game was £60 for Donkey Kong 64 on release and that came with the N64 Expansion Pack which was required to play the game. So the extra charge was justified. No one could complain.

At once stage we had new releases for PS2/3 and Xbox 360 price at £37.99. Even instore at Game, now those days are gone :(

I remember purchasing that very game for the N64 Donkey Kong, it seemed extremely expensive at the time. But like you mentioned at least it came with the expansion pack, which was used on some of the other more demanding games.

Now there are season passes and in-game purchases :confused: pay to win...

Caporegime

Between the 2, £50 for a game (with possible in game add on that you can choose to buy) vs £60 with expansion pack, which would you choose?

Like Spider-man at the moment, it is £47.99 in Argos, sure there is a DLC coming but as a stand alone, that game is pretty complete?

Soldato
I remember purchasing that very game for the N64 Donkey Kong, it seemed extremely expensive at the time. But like you mentioned at least it came with the expansion pack, which was used on some of the other more demanding games.

Now there are season passes and in-game purchases :confused: pay to win...

Its crazy isn't it?!??!

1997, Final Fantasy 7, RRP £50. Buy game. Done!
2016, Final Fantasy 15, RRP £50. Buy game.........2018, Final Fantasy 15 Royal Edition, RRP £30ish......oh more paid DLC is coming in the future so don't buy the game yet! :mad:

Or another example

2014, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, RRP...was meant to be £50 but people kicked off saying they are not paying full RRP for something which is basically a demo to the full game. So price was dropped to be cheaper.
2015, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, RRP £50 but could have easily had the content from Ground Zeroes included as a one off price game.

Associate
Its crazy isn't it?!??!

1997, Final Fantasy 7, RRP £50. Buy game. Done!
2016, Final Fantasy 15, RRP £50. Buy game.........2018, Final Fantasy 15 Royal Edition, RRP £30ish......oh more paid DLC is coming in the future so don't buy the game yet! :mad:

Or another example

2014, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, RRP...was meant to be £50 but people kicked off saying they are not paying full RRP for something which is basically a demo to the full game. So price was dropped to be cheaper.
2015, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, RRP £50 but could have easily had the content from Ground Zeroes included as a one off price game.

Bonus points for Final Fantasy, one of the best series of games out there. I played up-to 10 and unfortunately for some reason stopped the subsequent instalments. You have good taste :D

You what's crazy also, I read somewhere that the likes of Call of Duty make more money in in-game purchases (supply drops / skins etc.) than sales from the main game...

Caporegime
Bonus points for Final Fantasy, one of the best series of games out there. I played up-to 10 and unfortunately for some reason stopped the subsequent instalments. You have good taste :D

You what's crazy also, I read somewhere that the likes of Call of Duty make more money in in-game purchases (supply drops / skins etc.) than sales from the main game...

Those gaming / business model is very profitable, sad state of the way some publishers are heading, but I don't mind skins, it's just cosmetic as long as its not pay to win.

Associate
Those gaming / business model is very profitable, sad state of the way some publishers are heading, but I don't mind skins, it's just cosmetic as long as its not pay to win.

It must be yes. The whole pay to win thing kinda fell flat on its face with that Battlefront 2 though.

The way Fortnight does it with skins, camos etc. causes much less backlash. It looks like they still make the same amount if not more anyway.

Soldato
Between the 2, £50 for a game (with possible in game add on that you can choose to buy) vs £60 with expansion pack, which would you choose?

Like Spider-man at the moment, it is £47.99 in Argos, sure there is a DLC coming but as a stand alone, that game is pretty complete?

£60 with expansion pack because I know the game is complete. £50 I would wait till everything is included like an Game of the Year Edition and be cheaper.

Depends how you look at it. If the DLC was made at the sametime as the main game so they could have included it if they wanted to but chose not to. If you need to play the main game to understand the standalone DLC then that's bad practice.

Uncharted Lost Legacy was a great way of doing it, standalone game you didn't need to play Uncharted 4 to understand it. Cant even call that DLC but an expansion.

Last edited:
Soldato

I own the original FF15 on PS4, stopped playing it because I heard about the Royal Edition so I waited. I found out if I upgrade to the Royal Edition from my original FF15 it actually doesn't included everything compared to if I got the standalone Royal Edition :mad: So I might aswell buy the whole game again!

This is why now when I see new released games I check for future DLC and the potential it could cost. Never was a problem back in the 80's and 90's buying games, even at £60.

Caporegime
I own the original FF15 on PS4, stopped playing it because I heard about the Royal Edition so I waited. I found out if I upgrade to the Royal Edition from my original FF15 it actually doesn't included everything compared to if I got the standalone Royal Edition :mad: So I might aswell buy the whole game again!

This is why now when I see new released games I check for future DLC and the potential it could cost. Never was a problem back in the 80's and 90's buying games, even at £60.

If they could add on more stuff back in the 80's, they would IMO. The internet has opened up a whole avenue stream and they are taking advantage of it.

If FF7 were released again today for the first time, I am sure it will do exactly the same as FF15.

p.s. I have the original FF15 on the PS4 too.

Soldato
If they could add on more stuff back in the 80's, they would IMO. The internet has opened up a whole avenue stream and they are taking advantage of it.

If FF7 were released again today for the first time, I am sure it will do exactly the same as FF15.

p.s. I have the original FF15 on the PS4 too.

That's what they are doing with the FF7 Remake, will be released in parts/seasons. Which many are not happy about.

Soldato
It depends how we look at it; I could spend £60 to go and watch a single Premier League football Match that lasts 90 minutes or so, or go to the cinema 5 times at £10 a go for 10 hours of entertainment. When we look at it like that, games are an absolute bargain; I spent £30 on CoD4 MW and played it for at least 50 days :D

That said, games are creeping up in price and I think getting towards the £50 mark is a significant mark. Especially when as mentioned, so many games are offering DLC for stuff that’s alresdy in the game rather than suff they’ve actually worked on extra after game release.

I never experienced paying £50 for games before, I remember Xbox 360 games being £40 for AAA releases such as CoDMW2, maybe £45.

I’m now moving to digital games over discs as I don’t really trade in games anyway, and it seems even worse paying £50 for an email containing a code.

Soldato

Ground Zeroes was never intended to be full price, what they did was drop the PS4 and XB1 price because at that point, there was still a premium to pay for the "next gen" (at the time) versions.

I'm not sure the issue is the RRP anyway, RRPs for new games have long been £45-50 but the difference is we're only now starting to see the majority (if not all) retailers now charging that price. Either the RRP has gone up again, or the retailers are finding it impossible to negotiate a lower price on account of the absurd uptake in digital download titles meaning physical media isn't enjoying the massive sales lead it once had. If that's the case, gamers only have themselves to blame for higher prices.

Of all the games coming in the next 6 months or so that I know I'll end up buying, the only one I've pre-ordered is Tomb Raider because it's the only one I could find for £40.

Associate
The funny thing is a large portion of gamers have been conditioned to accept that games should cost more now and season passes and microstransactions are necessary, devs/publishers are doing us a favour by stripping out content to sell back to us.

Game companies are making more profit than ever, they aren't your friends, you are not their customers, the shareholders are their customers. They aren't happy with some of your money they'd like it all.

Live services are the next step to providing you with minimal content for maximum profit.

Caporegime
If you can wait don't buy them on release, they tend to drop quite dramatically once sales have tailed off. I tend to be 2-3mths behind the curve unless it's something I really want.

Soldato
It

It's ridiculous isn't it.
For most games yes I agree but for things like Fallout 4 where you get so much content its a fair price. They really should do a different price structure & physical discs are still best value for the consumer. If you do not like you can just trade in or sell for around 75% of its value if you do it within a week or so.

Digital games you get a few hours to decide & can never sell on. Also its clear Sony, MS & greedy publishers are charging sky high prices for digital games even a few years old they are raking in lots of money from direct digital sales to console gamers. Their consoles are worthless without content so instead of seeing it from the other side they go too far with their pricing structure & know some people will buy as they need a new game to play!

Soldato
If people stopped buying then they would do something but that will never happen.

I like DLC and stuff being added to extend the games. It just bugs me how quick these days they get it out after release. They were advertising the new Spider-Man content days before the game had even launched.

Back
Top Bottom