Dead drive - Hope of recovery?

Soldato
I've just had a seagate ST3000DM001 up and fail on me. Tried the freezer trick, and that managed to at least make it appear in the Disk Management, though it only appears as a 4Gb size drive, and it won't initialize due to an i/o device error.

I've chalked this up as a loss, there wasn't anything vital on there, but if anyone knows of ways to temporarily drag a half hour out of it to save myself a while lot of time then it would be appreciated!

Soldato
I've just had a seagate ST3000DM001 up and fail on me. Tried the freezer trick, and that managed to at least make it appear in the Disk Management, though it only appears as a 4Gb size drive, and it won't initialize due to an i/o device error.

I've chalked this up as a loss, there wasn't anything vital on there, but if anyone knows of ways to temporarily drag a half hour out of it to save myself a while lot of time then it would be appreciated!

when you try to fire it up, does it make a clicking noise ? as in the spindle / head is knackered, or doesn't it work at all ? the reason I ask is if the motor and heads etc is fine and its just the controller, you can try and pick up an identical replacement and just swap the boards over just to get you data off it.

Soldato
OP
Hey, sorry for the slow replies. When I try and run the drive it's making a clicking type of noise, which is why I assumed it was a mechanical failure and tried the freezer trick.
I had a look at bit recover, but I assumed that since it's not even showing properly under windows, any software solution will fail just the same. And there's nothing on there worth spending any real amount of money on, thankfully.

Regarding contacting support, will they be able to do anything? I plugged the serial number into the warranty checker and it's out of warranty (DOM 06/2014), so I assume they would just tell me as much. It's a little annoying since googling the model number reveals that there's a pretty big class action suit going on in the US over the failure rate of these drives.

Back
Top Bottom