Getting Old.

Soldato
Balding is one of worst....

I have so many friends early thirties all lost their hair. I'm over here still with same hairline from 18-19.... (Checked my old facebook pics).

In b4 now i've said that I go bald in next year completely.....

Associate
It's the long ones that suddenly appear off your ear lobe, where the hell did that come from and why didn't I see it before it was 2 inches long! :eek:
One sign of getting older, is when although your barber still asks, “natural at the back,
or straight across?”, he begins to add, toward the end, “trim your eyebrows sir?”
Yep, at the age of 49, getting my ear hair and eyebrows trimmed whenever I get a haircut has been a reality for a number of years. The ex-wife used to take great glee when my brows got a bit straggly asking if I was going for the 'mad professor' look. It was only the odd one or two that were particularly errant, but enough to make them look unkempt.
I always find it quite satisfying when you pull a nose hair out and it's really thick and long, feels like you're plucking it from your brain haha.
Oh God, yes ... satisfying and to me, fascinating, when you manage to yank out a long one (no euphemism intended :D) - I sometimes find myself marvelling at what such a large hair was doing up my hooter in the first place.

I shouldn't really complain, as a lot of people say I look ten years younger than I actually am and I still have a full head of hair - my brother is two years younger and his hairline is up somewhere near his crown.

Silver hair is a reality now though - I'm going grey at the temples, have a few grey chest hairs and the odd grey pube ... noticed over the weekend that there's been a marked increase in the amount of grey in my beard when I don't shave for a few days. Even found the odd grey nose hair for Christ's sake, which along with its increased sproutage, is taking the mickey!

Soldato
Plucking those nose hairs always leads to a sneezing fit along with the eyes watering. My hairs going very grey on the sides, barely much grey on top so I have it very close on the sides. Ohhhh vanity!

Soldato
Got out of the shower and thought better have a look at Dick see if he is all right - sucked in stomach and what ??? no sign of him - had a feel round and he was still there but hiding in the undergrowth - spent 15 min looking for the man clippers - feels fresh now .

Caporegime
Drink more water. It helped me. Those creams are useless.

its probably more related to lifestyle choices.

More sleep and water

I don't drink anymore, smoke or do drugs, and my diet is the best it's ever been. Come to think of it, it only started happening once I started lifting in the gym again, so it probably is a lack of water. I think I only have around a litre a day, if I can be bothered.

Soldato
Got out of the shower and thought better have a look at Dick see if he is all right - sucked in stomach and what ??? no sign of him - had a feel round and he was still there but hiding in the undergrowth - spent 15 min looking for the man clippers - feels fresh now .

Early onset of Third Knacker Syndrome.

Soldato
I don't drink anymore, smoke or do drugs, and my diet is the best it's ever been. Come to think of it, it only started happening once I started lifting in the gym again, so it probably is a lack of water. I think I only have around a litre a day, if I can be bothered.

Yep, the eyes are the first sign of not getting enough water

Soldato
Really quite sad my hair is thinning at 33.
Think I'd look completely stupid with none.

It's only thing that really gets to me.
More knowing that my gf is Fond of Hair.
She says love me whatever.
I had proper long hair. It was starting to get thin and so I bit the bullet before it looked daft.

The gf also loved long hair, she shaved the whole lot of mine off - no half measures. She was actually chuffed as she felt like she'd got a new bloke :)

Cut it all off but get her to do it.

Soldato
Getting old is a substantial need to the road of death.

Not much you can do except grow old gracefully and except the end.

It might be a morbid comment but you have face the truth, you screwed no matter what you do in life.

Me am not a furry person and still have a full head of hair, them nose trimmers just make matters worst. Only problem I have is pubic hair and looking at my penis looks like a walnut whip.

Loads of brown and a nut on top. I keep trimming but must say greys are staring to appear. Too many and its imac hair removal with a condom on as I don't want to remove that as the is sod all left of the old feller. lol:D

Soldato
I would not like a life of perpetuity as its boring as hell.

I agree go down with the clowns, get drunk, take drugs and enjoy. As when you normal its horrible and dull.

Most people aspire to make money for what? To live better? To have a bigger house? Bigger car? etc

When at the end of the day we all go in hole no matter what your wealth is.

Make sure you look after your kids though if you have any. ;)

Soldato
Misbehaving hair is the least of my worries. For the third time this week I have just found myself getting annoying by my 'misbehaving' laptop.

I have a bad habit of trying to write daft little songs for Mum's dementia group (if any group needs cheering up, they do!) so I'll sit here with guitar on lap, laptop at my side to record a printable version, and my working notebook propped up by the laptop screen. Which is fine as a working arrangement right up to the point where I try to click on a window in the background to try and bring it IN FRONT OF MY NOTEBOOK!

It wouldn't be so bad if I immediately realised what was going on, but sometimes it takes several clicks for me to realise I'm barking up the wrong trackpad.

Can't help feeling this is how all dementia starts... cracks in the pavement of life slowly open up until you fall down one forever. Or maybe, if I'm very lucky, this is variant of the 'trying to move laptop windows with your finger' problem, which afflicts many of us since smart phones became a thing.

Make sure you look after your kids though if you have any. ;)
Indeed. I didn't used to worry too much about being single and childless until Mum's dementia became obvious. Kids are handy, if only for making sure you get parked in a care home to burn their inheritance at a grand a week!

Last edited:
Soldato
Same issue here, at 28 I have bald patches of beard which refuse to fill in, but I have a full head of hair. Apparently these are related? Men who can grow beards from a young age tend to go bald on top.

Anecdotally my grandfather, currently at age 93, has a full head of hair, and yet I've never seen him with a beard. Need to ask him if he can grow one, come to think of it. I've seen him with stubble after a few days (as we're looking after him due to his poor health), but there's definite patchiness going on. They say you follow your maternal fathers side? Not sure if there's any logic to that or not.

Annoyingly my father could grow a full, thick beard at a very young age. And now he's very thin on top, so horses for courses.

Your hair is genetically susceptible to DHT (which is what causes the baldness) or not, there's no in between. Having more body and beard hair generally is a sign of having more DHT, but if you go bald from that it means you were always going to go bald - the process just got sped up.

There's no direct correlation, it just looks related because of how higher DHT = more beard and quicker hair loss.

Soldato
Only problem I have with getting older is I need a smaller belly or a bigger willy:(

joking aside, I find regular long walks literally takes inches off your belly. That, and cutting out the carbs/beer.

I stopped walking for a couple of months and could tell when I put my work trousers on. Just lately I've been going for at least 4 x 5 mile walks a week and my trousers are hanging off me. Stick a good podcast or radio station on and it's quite enjoyable.

Think I might be going a bit OTT as this morning I did 5.2 miles and thinking about doing the same later this evening. It works though!

and regarding the other problem. Buy a philips oneblade (grade 1) to do your bits. Philips call it the optical inch ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is "getting old" the reason I'm constantly having to clear the back of my throat these days? I often feel like I'm choking on phlegm (lovely, I know). Why the heck am I producing so much of the damn stuff?

It can't get much worse and I've got ~50% of my expected lifespan yet to come...

Back
Top Bottom