UPS

Associate
Is APC Back-UPS, worth to buying for a modem computer of today because I have only seen about 182 reviews last dated 2015 on each unit sold online more then 8 years ago because in my city we had power cuts twice this year a few months between each other I just worried I will lose my hardware, I have a Surge Protection Extension Lead but is it enough for protection for this! if not is UPS worth to buy and what would you recommend! for a 850w computer & 42inch monitor

Thanks for your time in read this.

Associate
Smart UPS tend to be good to prevent data loss if you have an always-on PC, as they give you a period once the power has cut to ensure your machine has time to shutdown cleanly, (they usually connect via usb and send shutdown commands) A surge protector is usually adequate to protect hardware against power cuts plus I'm guessing home contents insurance will should cover any damage done?

I'd only consider a UPS if you have critical data / don't want to potentially have rebuild of OS etc.or you have frequent power cuts which doesn't really sound like you do. I'm sure other people will also have opinions that may help your query.

Soldato
If there's only one or two power cuts of any kind per year, then UPS likely wouldn't do much.
(short power cuts enough to restart PC can be hard to detect from lights by eye)

Soldato
And how are the room lights relevant to a UPS functioning?
UPS detects power cut instantly transferring to battery power before ATX spec complying PSU would "notice" power cut.
Giving nice clicking of relays from those short power cuts barely detectable from blinking of room lights...

Associate
OP
Smart UPS tend to be good to prevent data loss if you have an always-on PC, as they give you a period once the power has cut to ensure your machine has time to shutdown cleanly, (they usually connect via usb and send shutdown commands) A surge protector is usually adequate to protect hardware against power cuts plus I'm guessing home contents insurance will should cover any damage done?

I'd only consider a UPS if you have critical data / don't want to potentially have rebuild of OS etc.or you have frequent power cuts which doesn't really sound like you do. I'm sure other people will also have opinions that may help your query.

Thanks for the reply:)

Thanks for the reply I should have mentioned I don't have my computer always -on I only use it in the evenings for a short time and at weekends, most of my work is on a laptop so UPS isn't going to help me that much I thought it was going to given extra protection vs a surge protector Anyway thanks for the update.;) we will have to read the rules on our home contents insurance.

Also thanks for the other members opinion.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom