Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Associate
Reviews aren’t looking great. TR is one of my favourite gaming franchises and have loved the reboots. Do you think maybe they’re being harsh as the story is weak? I had a feeling it might be a bit poor as it’s a different studio to the other two.

Be interesting to see what people make of it. Dissapointed to see 6’s, TR should be aiming for 9’s or 10’s!

Soldato
I do like the tomb raider reboots, however I don't see enough in this latest entry, nor a strong hook for storyline (something the reviews are pointing out) to donate anything other than a "under 20 quid" purchase

Soldato
Reviews look pretty good to me, I wasn't expecting 9-10 overall as some people don't like the gloomier direction of the reboot which is totally their call but I wasn't expecting any radical changes. Anyone moaning excessively that the last game is similar to the first two seems to have slightly missed the point of a trilogy.

I loved the first two games so I'm all in but it's obviously not going to convert anyone who wasn't a fan so far.

Associate
I may give this a try. I didn't favor the last one that much but I think that was because of the story.

The actual game play was great.

Soldato
Reviews aren’t looking great. TR is one of my favourite gaming franchises and have loved the reboots. Do you think maybe they’re being harsh as the story is weak? I had a feeling it might be a bit poor as it’s a different studio to the other two.

Be interesting to see what people make of it. Dissapointed to see 6’s, TR should be aiming for 9’s or 10’s!
:confused: 81 on OC https://opencritic.com/game/6015/shadow-of-the-tomb-raider

Soldato
Eurogamer were pretty indifferent but they have always been down on the reboot so that's no surprise. Telegraph gave it a 4/10 which is just nonsense but I'm sure it'll get them some clicks.

Reviews are almost not needed, if you liked the first two then pick this up, if you didn't like them then you won't like this either.

Associate
OP
Thanks you’ve all given me encouragement. I really liked the first two so I guess I’ll really like this. I’m quite happy with more of the same tbh. If it ain’t broke...

Edit: just seen IGN have given it a 9. Massive disparity between review scores for this one then. That’s enough to make my mind up to get this once I’ve finished Spider-Man.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like more old the same. No bad thing as I loved the other two. The stories and acting is all a bit meh but the combat etc is good fun. They look amazing too.

Soldato
Bit disappointed that they haven't used this as an opportunity to push the series forward, especially with a different studio at the helm, but not entirely surprised either. Earlier I was somewhat debating cancelling my pre-order but I'm undecided, in terms of gameplay it seems like a success from the reviews I've read so I'm sure I'll still enjoy it.

It's just a shame they've stuck to their guns with the shallow characters, boring storylines and naff acting. It was excusable for the first one and the reviews at the time seemed to acknowledge that whilst mainly focusing on the games strengths, but by the third game you're expecting that the developers and writers will have taken some of those criticisms on-board. I think the reviews are entirely justified to make a point of that.

Soldato
I’m going to wait a few weeks on this one. They seem to drop in price fairly quickly too. I have been looking forward to this and it’s a shame they seem to have not pushed the series for the last instalment. Hopefully it’s still a decent game as the last two were pretty decent.

Soldato

Hope it's good, be a shame if its not at least as good as the previous games, I loved Rise and was very much looking forward to this, I was planning on waiting to pick this up anyway, so will see what everyone makes of it on here.

Soldato
Loved first reboot, not so much the sequel didn't move it on enough and as above the characters just well meh.. By a third entry it should have improved.

I bought the first two at launch this will be a wait for me, it will be under 30 quid in few weeks.

Caporegime
Digital Foundry article mentioned that Crystal Dynamics are working on an Avengers game, which is why Eidos Montreal made the latest game.

I didn't realise that, but that could be really good.

Associate
Reviews seem to show it being puzzle focused again which is good and the fact you can remove the hints looks decent too.

Some of the reviews are just click bait though. Think it'll be definitely worth a shot though. Maybe not at full price so close after the spiderman release.

Back
Top Bottom