hint help advice on changing my pump res combo unit

Permabanned
So I've had my EK 140 pump/res combo unit for a year now and i'm sick of it as it's stressing me out!
It doesn't seem to have a proper seal and the res can pop off at anytime if there is too much pressure in the system or the case get a nudge. Also it's leaking air back into the water inlet tube so I have a nice bit bubble just below my GPU but it doesn't seem to affect temps, GPU 59C max playing AC origins CPU 69C max. (specs below)

So tomorrow I going to be swapping it out for an Alphacool eisbecher D5 250ml, I have a drain port fitted but it only drains so much then stops, If I pull off the tube to the inlet then things start to flow and I have to quickly attach another tube going into a bottle before it goes everywhere and I make a mess of it.

The past month the res has leaked twice on me getting onto the motherboard and just killing it till it dries out and it's fine again, but during this time i'm nearly crying as I thought I killed the motherboard both times. I even bought another z170-e which turns out I don't need but it good that I have a back up I suppose.

So to all you experienced watercoolers, how would you tackle tomorrows job, step by step.

Associate
I have the same pump, and the res is a screw fit, so I would suggest that it is not fitted correctly.
If you have a problem, contact EK customer support. They are really good.

Soldato
Where is it leaking from/popping off of?

I'd suggest a strip down and proper rebuild should reinstate the seals or else it wants a warranty job on it.

You need to let air back in somewhere when draining water out of your loop, so ideally plan a routine with two openings. The drain port is one, but typically a top port in your reservoir would be the other. It's why I chose not to use my reservoir top as an inlet in the end.

Air coming in implies a poor seal, are you using soft tubing? I had this when my tubing was angled too hard onto the fitting, it looked like a good seal but air slowly crept in.

Associate
Agree with the above, there seems to be a fitting issue or defective manufacturing somewhere. If it's anything like the standalone reservoirs, the top and bottom o-rings are decent but also recessed so it won't deform (good thing) which means you may need to screw it in a bit more than normal (based on feel).

Is your GPU a full cover water block? Or is the air bubble you're referring to in the tube? I suspect you're GPU is not being water cooled because if it was then 59C would be alarmingly high. Full cover GPU blocks should be keeping it under 40C at load, closer to mid 30s in a decent loop.

Soldato
Is your GPU a full cover water block? Or is the air bubble you're referring to in the tube? I suspect you're GPU is not being water cooled because if it was then 59C would be alarmingly high. Full cover GPU blocks should be keeping it under 40C at load, closer to mid 30s in a decent loop.

Depends on radiator capacity, fans, speed etc IMO. Does sound like the block may be poorly fitted though. Surely it'd be impossible to cool the CPU and not the GPU if they're on a series loop?

Associate
I cant see res popps off tbh
Im using ek d5 combo and none of thats problems ever happend
And i even took out my pc for photo sesh outside
Considering gover 40kg weight rig nothing get loose or make a leak
U need to have faulty or not properly assembled res

Associate
Depends on radiator capacity, fans, speed etc IMO. Does sound like the block may be poorly fitted though. Surely it'd be impossible to cool the CPU and not the GPU if they're on a series loop?

That's why I was asking, wasn't sure based on original post :). A 59C temp is around what good air coolers will do with decent case ventilation.

Associate
yeh 40 c in stress, whats about delta to ambient ?
I got 2x560 rads in loop and forgive me i im oscilating in mid 70 after oc
Depends from weather ofc

Soldato
That's why I was asking, wasn't sure based on original post :). A 59C temp is around what good air coolers will do with decent case ventilation.
For GPU? I daresay GPU air coolers will land you at 70-80 degrees typically. Maybe lower with fans set to high speed all the time. In my experience GPU fans at default speeds land me at 70-73°C

Back
Top Bottom