• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX and GeForce RTX to Coexist in Product-Stack Till Q1-2019

Soldato
I don't see an RTX 2070 happening; price adjust the 10 series slightly to provide the full product range and fleece the early adopters as usual until drivers mature, games develop and the RTX 3000 series lands on 7nm (the actual cards with all the RT tech in it).

10 series is still stupid money, I'm afraid!

bru

bru

Soldato
Well surely seeing as the 2070 won't be with us for another month or so and the 2060 and lower haven't even been announced yet, it will be the holiday season before we see them anyway, making this a non story right from the start.
Just like when Jensun said the new cards won't be for a long time, that was back in June and we are still waiting for them 4 months latter.
I think a third of a year qualifies.

Soldato
Well surely seeing as the 2070 won't be with us for another month or so and the 2060 and lower haven't even been announced yet, it will be the holiday season before we see them anyway, making this a non story right from the start.
Just like when Jensun said the new cards won't be for a long time, that was back in June and we are still waiting for them 4 months latter.
I think a third of a year qualifies.
Pretty much:
"When is the RTX2060 going to be launched?"
"As long as it takes to clear out inventory of excessive Pascal that we have over-produced being overconfident betting on the crypto-mining lasting. We ain't going to take the hit, so AIB partners and gamers going to have to"

bru

bru

Soldato
That's one thing that gets me about this excessive stock issue, the original story was one AIB sending back 300,000 chips, Which again was in June. Now Gibbo has alluded that when they do promotions they can sell 1,000 cards in a month easily and that is just this store. How long can it possible take to sell off 300,000 cards worldwide.

Not saying that NVidia haven't over produced, or that there isn't excessive stock in the channels, but even if it was a million extra cards, 300 stores world wide could clear that in three months easily.

@Gibbo I would love to know roughly how many 10xx series cards OCUK have sold, from all the range since the RTX 2000 series announcement, I would certainly expect it to be a very large number. ;)

Soldato
Pretty much:
"When is the RTX2060 going to be launched?"
"As long as it takes to clear out inventory of excessive Pascal that we have over-produced being overconfident betting on the crypto-mining lasting. We ain't going to take the hit, so AIB partners and gamers going to have to"

There is no RTX2060. Anything bellow RTX2070 will keep GTX name and no ray tracing

Soldato
That's one thing that gets me about this excessive stock issue, the original story was one AIB sending back 300,000 chips, Which again was in June. Now Gibbo has alluded that when they do promotions they can sell 1,000 cards in a month easily and that is just this store. How long can it possible take to sell off 300,000 cards worldwide.

Not saying that NVidia haven't over produced, or that there isn't excessive stock in the channels, but even if it was a million extra cards, 300 stores world wide could clear that in three months easily.

@Gibbo I would love to know roughly how many 10xx series cards OCUK have sold, from all the range since the RTX 2000 series announcement, I would certainly expect it to be a very large number. ;)
But it is not that simple though. Nvidia forced AIB partner/card makers (well strong-arming them at least) into taking the excessive Pascal chips despite the architecture technically is already last gen:
https://www.techspot.com/news/76103-nvidia-putting-squeeze-aib-partners.html

It takes time between card makers deplete these excessive chips turning them into functioning cards to being retail ready at shops. I guess Nvidia not releasing 2070/2080 just yet is the saving-grace for the AIB partners, after basically forcefully had Nvidia shoving their down their mouths.

Associate
67iGGtB.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/247479/...-rtx-to-coexist-in-product-stack-till-q1-2019

I think we may see the 10XX series or equivalent selling for quite some time until Ray Tracing and DLSS comes to mid range cards.

That's exactly what will happen. NV, and importantly AIBs, have heaps of 10xx series cards left in inventory. Sometime shortly after 2080/2080 Tis are in the wild, we'll see around a ~$100 drop across the board to segment the 10xx series under the 20xx series. It's going to look something like this for the next few months:

1060 - $225
1070 - $325
1080 - $425
2070 - $500+
1080 Ti - $600
2080 - $800+
2080 TI - $1000+

Soldato
That's exactly what will happen. NV, and importantly AIBs, have heaps of 10xx series cards left in inventory. Sometime shortly after 2080/2080 Tis are in the wild, we'll see around a ~$100 drop across the board to segment the 10xx series under the 20xx series. It's going to look something like this for the next few months:

1060 - $225
1070 - $325
1080 - $425
2070 - $500+
1080 Ti - $600
2080 - $800+
2080 TI - $1000+
It reminds me of:
650ti (vs 1060)
660 (vs 1070)
660ti (vs 1080)
670 (vs 2070)
680 (vs 1080ti)
780 (vs 2080)
Titan (vs 2080ti)

...but with higher price in pretty much every equivalent card tier.

In case anyone wondering why I have placed the 2070 below the 1080ti, it is because knowing how Nvidia is and always have done, we can bet that they will likely grim the processor counts on the 2070 (to push more people toward the 2080 instead) and just clock it high to be faster than the 1080ti at stock, and overclock vs overclock it would become slower than the 1080ti.

Last edited:

bru

bru

Soldato
But it is not that simple though. Nvidia forced AIB partner/card makers (well strong-arming them at least) into taking the excessive Pascal chips despite the architecture technically is already last gen:
https://www.techspot.com/news/76103-nvidia-putting-squeeze-aib-partners.html

It takes time between card makers deplete these excessive chips turning them into functioning cards to being retail ready at shops. I guess Nvidia not releasing 2070/2080 just yet is the saving-grace for the AIB partners, after basically forcefully had Nvidia shoving their down their mouths.

Reading that link, it makes quite a bold statement. Following it to its source.
It seems to me that Asustek Computer, Micro-Star International (MSI) and Gigabyte Technology didn't like the fact that NVidia held them to contracted shipments, well if they didn't have a contract to take the cards then they wouldn't have too so its not NVidias fault.
If they had signed a contract for the cards then they have to take them.

I don't mean to come across like I'm defending NVidia, because the pricing of the new and currant crop of cards sucks big time. But if the AIB's have contracted agreements with NVidia to take the cards, the AIB's cannot realistically back out if they don't like it. That would be the same for any company.

Caporegime
Should mean some really nice price drops on the GTX cards.
They've held their value for two years... and more importantly, they've held their value since the mining collapse.

Not sure I'd bet my house on "really nice" price drops in future, either.

Not that I wouldn't welcome it, but I don't think it's a sure thing.

Back
Top Bottom