is there a new nvidia shield tv coming out?

Associate
Im looking at the Shield to for a Plex Client. Only thing putting me off is im not really a gamer and the lack of a playstore and having to side load apps. But its suppose to be great for 4K and HDR which a lot of devices are lacking

Soldato
Im looking at the Shield to for a Plex Client. Only thing putting me off is im not really a gamer and the lack of a playstore and having to side load apps. But its suppose to be great for 4K and HDR which a lot of devices are lacking
It does have a play store (for Android TV) and side loading apps is really easy as you just need to find the APK in a file explorer. I have it and dont really game on it, ever. Most of the gaming is streaming from geforce now or your own pc anyway. As a plex server it is good too as it's standalone.

Soldato
OP
i read the shield has a lot of wifi and bluetooth issues so thats putting me off. i want to use it as a media streamer due to tv not being very good on smart functions. does anyone know if the shield has 1 or 2 antenna for wifi and what sort of wifi speeds are possible?

Soldato
Anyone planning on using the Shield for Video app streaming and Home Library video streaming please be aware that the Shield is no where near as good as it used to be (particularly at 4K). The shield does it's own upscaling of content below 4K and is poor compared to most reasonable TVs inbuilt upscalers. It is also suffering with extremely poor colour mapping of BT.709 (the colour space of most 1080p content) to BT.2020 (the colour space of 4K HDR content). You are forced to use 4K BT.2020 if you want to access 4K HDR Netflix and Amazon Video content, the devs claimed to have been working on fixing it through various iterations of the Shield Experience (The OS, in the current version Android TV 8) but they have stated that for well over 18 months and it's never been fixed (They'd rather add more US only Google Home junk). People are also increasingly talking of HDMI HDCP issues with a wider range of devices since recent updates. Add in loads of problems with the firmware for bundled controllers or remote depending on which version you buy and people are now starting to move away from the Shield as the best all round solution in increasing numbers.

As far as rumours go nVidia have no plans to release a new Shield TV and if further rumours are to be believed the reason for the large number of sales is because they are trying to shift stock so they can finally start winding down project.

I used to be a champion of the Shield and big it up at every opportunity but now the cons outweigh the pros for me so it's been assigned to a 1080p TV in the backwaters of the house and only gets switched on every now and again to grab updates.

Soldato
Im looking at the Shield to for a Plex Client
can/did get the roku stick+ for this purpose, it will also decode vp9.2 used by utube, unlike shiel.

planning to get the shield tv whiles its on offer,
still £100 more than a roku.

It is also suffering with extremely poor colour mapping of BT.709 (the colour space of most 1080p content) to BT.2020 (the colour space of 4K HDR content). You are forced to use 4K BT.2020 if you want to access 4K HDR Netflix and Amazon Video content, ...
not sure I understand .. if you have bt709 content then don't you negotiate that(via edid/hdmi), with your 4k tv, why do you get shield to map to bt2020 ?
if you are obliged to take bt.2020 4k netflix/amazon and no bt709 is available ... that, conversely, could be an issue.

Soldato
not sure I understand .. if you have bt709 content then don't you negotiate that(via edid/hdmi), with your 4k tv, why do you get shield to map to bt2020 ?
if you are obliged to take bt.2020 4k netflix/amazon and no bt709 is available ... that, conversely, could be an issue.

Android can't change the colour space on the fly, you choose the colour space and then everything else has to be mapped into that space. This means if you are streaming anything that is natively in the BT.709 space the Shield has to try to approximate where a colour would be located in BT.2020 and the devs have got the algorithms all wrong as has been shown by quite a few very knowledgeable people on the Shield TV (and Shield TV preview if you have access) forum. Oreo was supposed to come with new codecs to help the mapping but as far as Kodi dev team members have been able to ascertain they haven't been exposed by the Shield dev team.

Soldato
Android can't change the colour space on the fly,
Thanks, so looks like people either go to apple or just use the shield for sdr/1080p,

streamers be powered from the usb port of the tv
stream+ is just that ... its like a tube of polos
edit just realised i'm lying .. it has a small 1A/usb power adapter but device plugs directly into hdmi socket

what are the specs on the roku? cpu ram etc?
I had used wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku,
but moreover, google shows this for codecs https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Audio+and+Video+Support
... only disappointment was it will not drive a 2560 monitor at native, and drops to 1080, I don't need bitstream/hd sound.

Last edited:
Soldato
heres a thought, can any of these media players or streamers be powered from the usb port of the tv? this would solve multiple issues for me if possible.

Generally they require more than 1A so no, although the Roku SS+ and the FireTV Gen 3 (and Fire Sticks) can get away with slightly less so A TV with USB 3.0 that can supply the full spec 900 mA has a chance of powering these, bear in mind though that as soon as the TV goes to standby, generally, the USB ports are powered off as well so the device needs to reboot each time.

what are the specs on the roku? cpu ram etc?

next best thing to the shield are media players powered by the RK3399 chipset. they may be 2nd place to the shield but there is a very large performance gap between them.

Why are you getting hung up on spec? If the device has enough to do what's required of it why do you need more? The Tegra x1 in the Shield is stupidly overpowered for most peoples uses and as is becoming increasingly apparent lacks for various of the modern Android codec requirements. The hands down best home library (i.e. No paid for streaming apps) streamer available, the Vero 4K (and now Vero 4K+) is only based on an S905 soc, essentially the same as the FireTv Gen3, but because it's being driven by a Linux OS (OSMC) has an excellent dev team and a supportive community it's able to resolution switch on the fly, colour space switch on the fly, passthrough all HD Audio streams and they even have working test builds with famepacked 3D included (as apparently some people still use 3D TVs :eek:).

Associate
Don't buy it, had mines for 7months,got it for streaming, picture quality is crap, and the deal breaker for me was nvidia is too tight to pay for a dolby digital license, you can get dolby digital working as pass through via kodi, but no dolby for YouTube, netflix ect,which seems to me pure crazy when the firestick and 40 quid kodi box has dolby digital, made the mistake of selling my fire tv box to buy this crap, if u want, u can buy mine, getting n shot

Soldato
Don't buy it, had mines for 7months,got it for streaming, picture quality is crap, and the deal breaker for me was nvidia is too tight to pay for a dolby digital license, you can get dolby digital working as pass through via kodi, but no dolby for YouTube, netflix ect,which seems to me pure crazy when the firestick and 40 quid kodi box has dolby digital, made the mistake of selling my fire tv box to buy this crap, if u want, u can buy mine, getting n shot

Not strictly true. Dolby Digital/Dolby Digital+ works perfectly fine on Netflix and Amazon Video as long as your Shield is connected directly to an AV Receiver. It sounds like you're connecting to your TV and trying to use ARC or optical out from the TV.

Caporegime
I find the PQ absolutely fine :confused:

Soldato
Hadn't heard of the Vero 4k before. Looks interesting.

I had had the shield TV since its original launch and whilst not perfect (nothing is) its been by far the best media player I have ever had, and ive tried a few (media pc, various android boxes, fire tv, Boxee box (yes I bought one)).

I haven't noticed any issues with PQ and its running on a calibrated 65" LG OLED tv, so if there was any, I would hope I would have seen them. Most of my content is 4k through the Shield, bar the odd blu ray rip which is 1080p. Althought the YouTube app on the shield does get a lot of use.

I've always been a stickler for the absolute best image quality so im tempted to order the Vero 4k + just to see if there is any. The only thing is I find the YouTube app on the shield excellent, and use it more so then the app on my TV.

Soldato
OP
dang as much as id like one its got too many drawbacks. speed being its main advantage. will wait and see for some android based player that has 3x3 ac wifi for better net speed

Associate
I was looking at the Vero 4k not intrested in HD sound my Soundbar is the Dali Kubic One which is stereo only. I may just use XPLAY for 4k or purchase the Vero 4k

Back
Top Bottom