Stuck on Network Configuration when Installing Ubuntu Server?

Associate
Not sure what I'm missing here, but when I am installing Ubuntu Server 18.04.1 LTS (Bionic Beaver) the system can't seem to connect to the router, I keep getting the error message saying that no network has been found - Yet, the system is hard wired into the network and is showing up when I view the admin settings on the router, the server is showing up.

What else can I try to get the system connected so Ubuntu can be installed?

The fact that the system is showing up on the router settings is strange that the server can't seem to find a connection and keeps telling me that DHCP may not be enabled on the router.

Associate
The ifconfig command should tell you some useful things such as:
- the name of the ethernet interface(s)
- for those interface(s) what the server thinks its IP addresses (v4 and v6) are

The network settings will be in the /etc/network/interfaces file - it by default should be set to get configuration via dhcp, but if that's not happening for some reason then to troubleshoot you can give it a static configuration.

Soldato
They changed the way networking works in 18.04 (actually it was probably 17.10). Network settings aren't held in /etc/network/interfaces now. Ubuntu uses netplan. Have a look in /etc/netplan/. There should be a 50-cloud-init.yaml (or something similar).

You'll see something like:

Code:
# This file is generated from information provided by
# the datasource.  Changes to it will not persist across an instance.
# To disable cloud-init's network configuration capabilities, write a file
# /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg.d/99-disable-network-config.cfg with the following:
# network: {config: disabled}
network:
    ethernets:
        en02:
            addresses:
            - 192.168.0.69/24
            dhcp4: false
            gateway4: 192.168.0.1
            nameservers:
                addresses:
                search: []
    version: 2

The spacing/tab indents are apparently important there too.

Soldato
You can configure your IP during the Ubuntu Server install. I wasn't too keen on the new install GUI and I found the wording on some of it less than clear (or I was just being particularly thick that day). It definitely wasn't as simple as 'the old way' but as with everything, once you know what you're looking for/at, it's pretty easy.

Back
Top Bottom