Anyone use different/better headphones with Rift?

Associate
I sort of ran out of things to upgrade my PC/VR room so decided to upgrade the sound quality.
I tried the Oculus ear buds last year. Sent them back as the standard 'on ear' are better IMO.
Did a lot of research and decided to get the Steelseries Wireless Pro headset a couple of days ago. Even with these that are meant to be the best wireless gaming phones I'm still not convinced they sound any better than the standard Rift ones.
Anyone 'upgraded' sound on their Rift and have a better experience?

Soldato
I sort of ran out of things to upgrade my PC/VR room so decided to upgrade the sound quality.
I tried the Oculus ear buds last year. Sent them back as the standard 'on ear' are better IMO.
Did a lot of research and decided to get the Steelseries Wireless Pro headset a couple of days ago. Even with these that are meant to be the best wireless gaming phones I'm still not convinced they sound any better than the standard Rift ones.
Anyone 'upgraded' sound on their Rift and have a better experience?

If you want better sound quality, don't buy a gaming headset. Get proper headphones.

Associate
For me the rift headphones are good enough. I tried closed cup headphones, while the sound was better, with ears and face covered my head became very hot very quickly and it got uncomfortable.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I think the built in headphones with the Rift are fine. They're good enough that I can't be bothered with the hassle of trying to use my Sennheisers.

Associate
OP
Yep I've returned them for refund. I went for low latency wireless gaming headphones for mobility while playing. Wireless Sony, Bose etc. are great sound quality but too laggy for games.

Soldato
Can you not use headphones and use your native speakers?

I do it on my PSVR and its incredible.

Real 5.1 surround >> headphones.

Soldato
I couldn't get separate headphones to sit comfortably on the rift. The headset stops me getting a good seal and the extra weight and heat just made it too much hassle.

Associate
I've recently started to use my Sony MDR-1R cans with the Rift. Much, much better sound quality than the Rift's built-in headphones, but the big deal is comfort. The Rift's headphones start to hurt my ears after an hour or so, but the Sonys I can wear all day without problems.

Associate
I started out using headphones before even trying the built in ones. Tried them and haven't gone back to my separate phones. It got really tiresome having to take off my headphones before the rift etc... The sound quality in the rift is actually pretty good and what I lose in sound quality, is made up through ease of use and less weight on my neck.

Back
Top Bottom