Trouble Migrating OS

Soldato
Hello, i just upgraded my 840pro to a 960 evo m.2 drive and im having a little problem getting the m.2 to become the primary boot drive.

I migrated the OS no problem, and if i then shutdown and remove my 840 pro then everything is fine, but if i then try to put the 840 back in it seems to take control of the boot again.

I tried disabling the drive in the bios, that just causes a boot fail on the m.2 and tells me to repair windows, i also tried just changing the 960 into the boot drive, this also causes the same boot fail. As soon as i plug the 840 in again i lose the windows boot manager option for the 960 in the bios and it goes back onto the 840 again. Im guessing its because its a cloned drive it cant distinguish the two.

All i wanna do is just wipe the 840 and keep it for a little extra games storage, i thought maybe i can delete the boot files while in windows or something, anyone more knowledgeable about such things who could help me out?

Cheers.

Soldato
If Disk Manager won't let you wipe the 840 DiskPart (effectively the command-line version) should.

When I do this I usually reconnect the drive to be wiped after Windows has booted.

Soldato
OP
Oh will windows be able to see the drive if i plug it in after boot? I didnt know that was a thing :)

Cheers, i'll try plugging it in after boot first, if that doesnt work ill give DiskPart a go, i did try Disk Manager first as i thought that would be the best option but that wasnt letting me change the OS drive while in use.

Soldato
OP
Cheers bremen, hot swapping worked fine, then i used Diskpart to wipe the old drive as disk management didnt seem to want to do that either.

Back
Top Bottom