Samsung U32J590 32" UHD QLED with FreeSync

Soldato
Hey,

I just stumbled across this whilst looking for a 32" UHD monitor to replace my Dell U2713HM with.

There are no reviews out yet apart from a handful on Amazon.com/co.uk, but so far the feedback has been very positive and it's a helluva lot cheaper than any other monitors with the same specs.

I'm hoping that someone does a full review on it soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hey,

I just stumbled across this whilst looking for a 32" UHD monitor to replace my Dell U2713HM with.

There are no reviews out yet apart from a handful on Amazon.com/co.uk, but so far the feedback has been very positive and it's a helluva lot cheaper than any other monitors with the same specs.

I'm hoping that someone does a full review on it soon.

I could only find this from someone who bought one.

Pros: - UHD 4k @ 60Hz (Note: you must use HDMI port 2 (on monitor) if you want to run @ 60Hz) [read instruction manual]
- Small footprint. Outer frame is narrow on sides (about 1/4") and top and slightly larger on bottom (about 1/2"). The monitor is not much larger than my Samsung 27" 1080P, which had a larger frame.
- 31.5' of pure UHD at an affordable price
- No noticeable light bleed
- Text is crisp and clear

Cons: - Although the monitor supports a DisplayPort, it only came with an HDMI Cable

Other Thoughts: When you get the monitor, be sure to adjust the Dynamic Contrast to make the backgrounds darker. Also, I recommend setting the temperature to cool to make the background whites look whiter and less yellowish. Also, if you want to run at 60Hz, be sure to use monitor HDMI port 2. The following is a quote from the Samsung manual:
― To display 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz, use an HDMI cable that supports 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz to connect HDMI1.
Make sure that the graphics card of the HDMI source supports 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz.
― To display 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz, use an HDMI cable that supports 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz to connect HDMI2.
Make sure that the graphics card of the HDMI source supports 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz.
― When connecting an HDMI cable, use the cable that came with the components of the monitor. If you use
an HDMI cable other than provided by Samsung, the image quality may be degraded.

Soldato
OP
Thanks @Panos. Yeah I saw that and it all sounds very positive. I'm worried about the lack of height adjustment though. I've always made sure that any monitor I've bought had height adjustment.

The other monitor which seems to tick most of my boxes is the BenQ PD3200U that @PCM2 reviewed here, but it's about £300 more :/

Soldato
Thanks @Panos. Yeah I saw that and it all sounds very positive. I'm worried about the lack of height adjustment though. I've always made sure that any monitor I've bought had height adjustment.

The other monitor which seems to tick most of my boxes is the BenQ PD3200U that @PCM2 reviewed here, but it's about £300 more :/

If you are not in hurry wait few weeks. There is a Samsung 4k Freesync 2 120Hz HDR at 32" coming out.
If we can set it to 90hz it will be perfect. (only if it comes with HDMI 2.1 it will worth for higher refresh rate)

Soldato
OP
If you are not in hurry wait few weeks. There is a Samsung 4k Freesync 2 120Hz HDR at 32" coming out.
If we can set it to 90hz it will be perfect. (only if it comes with HDMI 2.1 it will worth for higher refresh rate)

Oh, that sounds even better since I really want a higher refresh rate for desktop usage (I have very little interest in games). Do you have the model number at hand? I searched for those specs and the only 32" Samsung monitor I could find is the CHG70, but that's WQHD.

Soldato
OP
That model isn’t QLED from what I can see, I did manage to get the QLED version cheap on prime day though, the 32H850.

Samsung says that it has QLED - link

I can't find much about that 32" UHD Samsung monitor with 120Hz, but it looks like the panel is only going into production now so it's probably still a few months away. That's okay though because I'm not desperate for it:

Around July 2018 Samsung will also start to produce a 31.5" curved VA panel with 3840 x 2160 Ultra HD resolution. This panel will offer a 3000:1 contrast ratio, sRGB colour space and 120Hz refresh rate.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/high_refresh_rate.htm

EDIT: Found a bit more info here.

Soldato
I think it will be Q1/Q2 next year at the earliest before we see ANY high refresh 32"+ 4K monitors. There are a few panels on the roadmap, but whether it's production delays or something else I don't know, but I haven't seen any specific monitors announced yet (just panels), which is frustrating. I wonder if manufacturers have deliberately held back until new GPUs were out? I also can't imagine AMD's lacklustre performance at 4K resolution has perhaps stifled Freesync 4K monitor development at the top end.

Associate
I think it will be Q1/Q2 next year at the earliest before we see ANY high refresh 32"+ 4K monitors. There are a few panels on the roadmap, but whether it's production delays or something else I don't know, but I haven't seen any specific monitors announced yet (just panels), which is frustrating. I wonder if manufacturers have deliberately held back until new GPUs were out? I also can't imagine AMD's lacklustre performance at 4K resolution has perhaps stifled Freesync 4K monitor development at the top end.

Probably right, but can't help but think they are missing the boat a little with the number of people with 4k capable consoles that they could be selling these monitors too. I use my current 1080p 32" TV to switch between my pc and xbox x and would be interested in upgrading to a 4k monitor that could handle all the requirements for a current xbox one x game i.e 4k, freesync (2) and decent HDR, unless I'm missing something here (which is highly likely) ;)

Soldato
Probably right, but can't help but think they are missing the boat a little with the number of people with 4k capable consoles that they could be selling these monitors too. I use my current 1080p 32" TV to switch between my pc and xbox x and would be interested in upgrading to a 4k monitor that could handle all the requirements for a current xbox one x game i.e 4k, freesync (2) and decent HDR, unless I'm missing something here (which is highly likely) ;)

Yeah, 100% agree... it's odd. 4K seems to get attention at the low end... there are loads of cheap 27" TN panels about, which just makes no sense to me. It's like they're just tapping in to the 4K frenzy to make sales, but they are probably the worst examples of the tech. Give me a nice 32" IPS or VA 4K screen with G-Sync any day! Unfortunately, there has literally only been ONE G-Sync model in the past 3-years, the Acer XB321HK. As I say, you could at least argue that on the Freesync side, given the lack of a powerful enough GPU from AMD, there hasn't been much point in putting out expensve Freesync 4K monitors, but I'm far more surprised at the lack of G-Sync options, as the 1080Ti has always been reasonably capable at 4K. Things are looking up for next year at least, but we've still got a while to wait... plus I expect pricing to be sky high.

Soldato
Picked up this monitor today, so far I can say its a decent screen, minimal backlight bleed, didn't really need colours altering for me, have found that some reason nVidia won't let me switch from 4.2.2 to RGB or 4.4.4 colour if i'm connected through display port but works fine if I connect through HDMI. Oddly works fine at RGB colour setting if I select 4k@30 under the SD/HD/UHD options instead of the PC options but won't work at the PC 4k@60 option

Associate
Picked up this monitor today, so far I can say its a decent screen, minimal backlight bleed, didn't really need colours altering for me, have found that some reason nVidia won't let me switch from 4.2.2 to RGB or 4.4.4 colour if i'm connected through display port but works fine if I connect through HDMI. Oddly works fine at RGB colour setting if I select 4k@30 under the SD/HD/UHD options instead of the PC options but won't work at the PC 4k@60 option

@RaiderX Let us know your thoughts on this monitor once you've had a bit more time to use it. Does this monitor have HDR? Also, are you using only on PC or do you have a console too?

Soldato
@RaiderX Let us know your thoughts on this monitor once you've had a bit more time to use it. Does this monitor have HDR? Also, are you using only on PC or do you have a console too?

Theres no HDR, waiting for a new display port cable to see if I can get it to display correctly as the cable I have seems to be forcing it to use DP1.1 as changing the DP mode from 1.1 to 1.2 and back makes no difference. Had a PS4 connected (non-pro) the scaling on the monitor is decent and the PS4 recognises the high colour range support. Also currently trying to get hold of a Vega card to run it with freesync. Default colours are quite vivid which might not be to everyones taste but a bit of tweaking gets them to be better. Display brightness appears uniform across the screen and I haven't seen any dead pixels although samsungs policy is 1 per million pixels is ok. Haven't noticed any ghosting using the Faster response setting. The only issue i've had is it's quite high on the stand with no height adjustment and the back of the stand is quite long so means the monitor can't be pushed right back against the wall.

Soldato
I got this for watching movies and office use. I was originally planning on one of the 40/43" 4k monitors but they were simply too big for my desk. The colours are amazing, very rich and and vibrant. The opening scene in guardians of the galaxy 2 looks spectacular. Contrast is excellent also and makes the colours pop even more. I'm not sure how accurate the image is, but I only fiddled with the osd colours slightly and it more or less matches my Dell IPS monitor, but with much richer colours.

There is very slight backlight bleed in the bottom corners, but I only notice it at night with the lights off and in dark scenes.

The anti-glare coating isn't very good, and if you view the screen up close you can see it, otherwise it's fine.

Viewing angles are not very good and noticeably worse than my Dell IPS. If you view it of centre, the colours start to wash out. Since it's a monitor and not too large, I don't have a problem with this.

Running at 100% windows scaling is too small, but 125% is ok. Apart from blurry text in some apps it's not too much of an issue and works as expected.

Good monitor overall.

Associate
Sorry to revive this thread but I am looking at purchasing this monitor for P3D (Lockheed Martin). Can the refresh rate be set? I want to lock the frequency to 30hz in the simulator for optimum smoothness.

Back
Top Bottom