*** The 2018 Gym Rats Thread ***

Associate
Go for triples on the heavier weights (5 sets), and then do two sets of 8/10 and the weight (or two weights) below, I.e.:

5 sets of 3 @ 25kg
2 sets of 8 @ 20kg or 18kg...

You won't thank me after you've tried this. ;)
I'm the same with the barbell it just feels weird so i use dumbells as they feel way better. thx for the tip gonna give that a try

Soldato
They are awesome, but those are *relatively* high intensity due to the dynamic nature and so are normally what can be moved onto after a few weeks/months (depending on the trainee).

My preference is for roll-outs, candlesticks and dragonflags, but I'm way too out-of-it for the latter two. :D

I will probably have to start adding them in to my routine at some point, to strengthen dat dere stable base :D

Man of Honour
I'm still alive. Do not train anywhere near as much. Have built home gym but only hit it 2x a week. Sometimes more. But very short sessions just to keep the body moving.

I walk a few miles every day so that keeps me in shape (ugh cardio!). But also doing more body weight stuff. Still doing squats and deads because they're great. But you can knock 50% of the weight I used to do off.

Life is too busy, I work long hours with a long commute. But life is good and at least I'm keeping healthy.

This is likely to be my only post as I just don't have time for forums any more. Or they are of less importance to me now. Being strong is still important but I've had to accept that for now it is not achievable.

Hope you're all doing well.

Man of Honour
I'm still alive. Do not train anywhere near as much. Have built home gym but only hit it 2x a week. Sometimes more. But very short sessions just to keep the body moving.

I walk a few miles every day so that keeps me in shape (ugh cardio!). But also doing more body weight stuff. Still doing squats and deads because they're great. But you can knock 50% of the weight I used to do off.

Life is too busy, I work long hours with a long commute. But life is good and at least I'm keeping healthy.

This is likely to be my only post as I just don't have time for forums any more. Or they are of less importance to me now. Being strong is still important but I've had to accept that for now it is not achievable.

Who is this guy? Clearly his account has been hacked and this is just spam! :eek:

Nice to see you, buddy - hope you're well!

Soldato
What apps do people use for tracking progress/routines?

It's been ages since i've done weights as i kept ruining a tendon in my left elbow whenever i did any press exercises (pull based ones were ok). However have just joined a gym (more for the pool/sauna that anything else) and the other day i decided to jump on the chest press/shoulder press machines.

Kept a very low weight (10kg/15kg) and just did 5x10. Looking to just keep doing that over a little while to see how things go but i might then look to increase weight again.

My main use of the gym is fitness/sauna but wouldn't mind throwing some weights back in there. If my plan is to go most mornings for around an hour before work what would you suggest is the best plan

Option 1 - Run/Bike/Row for around 30 minutes, then 15 mins of weights and alternate muscle groups each session (Chest/Arms, Shoulders/Legs, Back)

Option 2 - Split weight and cardio sessions up. So maybe Monday, Wednesday and Friday do 45 mins cardio and then Tuesday and Thursday do a complete weight session (probably mainly machine based with some squats)

As mentioned i've no goals with regards to weights at this moment so unsure which is the best option.

Man of Honour
What apps do people use for tracking progress/routines?

It's been ages since i've done weights as i kept ruining a tendon in my left elbow whenever i did any press exercises (pull based ones were ok). However have just joined a gym (more for the pool/sauna that anything else) and the other day i decided to jump on the chest press/shoulder press machines.

Kept a very low weight (10kg/15kg) and just did 5x10. Looking to just keep doing that over a little while to see how things go but i might then look to increase weight again.

My main use of the gym is fitness/sauna but wouldn't mind throwing some weights back in there. If my plan is to go most mornings for around an hour before work what would you suggest is the best plan

Option 1 - Run/Bike/Row for around 30 minutes, then 15 mins of weights and alternate muscle groups each session (Chest/Arms, Shoulders/Legs, Back)

Option 2 - Split weight and cardio sessions up. So maybe Monday, Wednesday and Friday do 45 mins cardio and then Tuesday and Thursday do a complete weight session (probably mainly machine based with some squats)

As mentioned i've no goals with regards to weights at this moment so unsure which is the best option.

Third option: get some physio for your elbow, a coach for some lifting technique and then hit Stronglifts. Don't waste your life on machines.

Soldato

There's the guy whose log I used to stalk on shoulder days! :D Would be nice to have a home gym again, at least then I'd have no excuse (but I'd atleast try! haha). Does it look like 50 Shades of FreeFaller with tons of chains?

Associate
I was thinking treadmills and cycle machines I did used to love cycling when I had the space to keep a bike.

I know won't be same on a machine but least something.

My weight is 14 stone, Id like to be 10/11 ideally or least it just not be fat weight.

I'm not sure if that's unrealistic target though

Sorry Mark missed your posts,

I was 14 stone at my max , I got to 11.6 lbs but was to much i looked too thin so trying to get more weight on now but no fat, sitting at 11.11 to 12 stone at the moment.

So yeah you can defo do it, the more exercise you can fit on the quicker it will come off, I did 5 times a week for 40 mins keep the nutrition on point it took me 3 months. I mean I did it with weights but with cardio I would definitely do some hitt training it works a treat with less time doing the exercise.

I seen your picture that will come off if you keep to the plan garranteed.

Keep us updated

Soldato
Sorry Mark missed your posts,

I was 14 stone at my max , I got to 11.6 lbs but was to much i looked too thin so trying to get more weight on now but no fat, sitting at 11.11 to 12 stone at the moment.

So yeah you can defo do it, the more exercise you can fit on the quicker it will come off, I did 5 times a week for 40 mins keep the nutrition on point it took me 3 months. I mean I did it with weights but with cardio I would definitely do some hitt training it works a treat with less time doing the exercise.

I seen your picture that will come off if you keep to the plan garranteed.

Keep us updated
Cheers! Been good all week no beers, logged my food and ruined it all today :( Was a family meal out for a birthday, had three beers, steak for my main and half slice of fudge cake :(

Will say this though initially when I did the gym stuff it felt hard during first bit once in there and starting it I enjoy it :)

Associate
Cheers! Been good all week no beers, logged my food and ruined it all today :( Was a family meal out for a birthday, had three beers, steak for my main and half slice of fudge cake :(

Will say this though initially when I did the gym stuff it felt hard during first bit once in there and starting it I enjoy it :)

That's fine with today call it cheat day there a must ,but go back on plan now for the next week :)

Soldato
That's fine with today call it cheat day there a must ,but go back on plan now for the next week :)
That's my aim though were on holiday so will be a challenge as Mrs wants meals out often !

Though I've started to enjoy less for my meals these days I hate the feeling of sitting down and pogged out!

I feel so old

Soldato

Results come from consistency over a long period of time. One meal out in a blue moon won't ruin your diet progress.

Associate
Looks like Flex Lewis is up for winning the 212's this year again

Where are you watching all this i wanna see this if you dont mind me asking? i am well disappointed of the news with the classic bodybuilding results, i have just seen news a new lad called Wesley vissers, been following him on Youtube for a few years since 20,000 subs think his on 230,000 now apparently he did not qualify.

Such a nice chap his followers never say bad things in the chat and we all honesty thought he was going to smash it this year and get in the top 3 at least.

Caporegime
Where are you watching all this i wanna see this if you dont mind me asking? i am well disappointed of the news with the classic bodybuilding results, i have just seen news a new lad called Wesley vissers, been following him on Youtube for a few years since 20,000 subs think his on 230,000 now apparently he did not qualify.

Such a nice chap his followers never say bad things in the chat and we all honesty thought he was going to smash it this year and get in the top 3 at least.

It was over on iherb.com

The streams just finished now for the Mr.Olmypia 2018 title

I think you'll be able to rewatch it soon enough

Back
Top Bottom