Got new OLED TV (LG C8). What's FIRST thing I should watch???

Soldato
Been wanting to dive into OLED for the last few years but there were too many shortcomings. I think 2018 has finally delivered some sets that are just about there.

After loads of agonising research I've gone for the LG C8 55, which will be the best 'all rounder' for my wants - in no order - gaming, HD broadcast TV, Netflix, Amazon etc etc.

So then, I've not set it up yet, and as an OLED virgin, what's the first thing I should watch to validate my purchase!?

Soldato
OP
Not got a 4K player yet so no Uhd discs.
Also, slight sticking point but my max internet connection at the moment is about 12mbps, consistent (I'm semi rural and am using a slow ADSL connect with boosty for ADSL 4g bonding). I really want to be able to do the full 4K HDR streaming so am hopefully going to switch to a new 5ghz wireless provider that's set up in our area this year!

If I set the TV up tomorrow, as planned, then I won't be able to stream in 4K I don't think. Need at least 15mbps steady connection from what I've discovered. That about right?
Netflix recommend 25mbps for 4K HDR streaming - is that really what you need? Would 20mbps be ok? The package I'm looking to get for this new 5ghz wireless internet is 'up to' 25mbps, so not a lot of wiggle room...

Soldato
OP
^ read my second post fella, looking to upgrade to 5ghz wireless broadband soon, if I need to.

Cheers for the suggestions so far folks, will check them out.

Does anyone know what 'real world' download speed you need for Netflix and Amazon video for 4K HDR? Netflix recommend 25mbps but I've seen others mention that Netflix only streams at about 15mbps for most 4k stuff....

The wireless broadband packages I can get are £30/month for up to 25Mbps, or £45/month for up to 40Mbps (both unlimited usage, and no land line costs obvioulsy, so will actually be cheaper than my current ADSL and boosty with Three 4G setup)

Obviously I want to go with the cheaper option, just hoping 25Mbps is enough?

Last edited:
Associate
^ read my second post fella, looking to upgrade to 5ghz wireless broadband soon, if I need to.

Cheers for the suggestions so far folks, will check them out.

Does anyone know what 'real world' download speed you need for Netflix and Amazon video for 4K HDR? Netflix recommend 25mbps but I've seen others mention that Netflix only streams at about 15mbps for most 4k stuff....

The wireless broadband packages I can get are £30/month for up to 25Mbps, or £45/month for up to 40Mbps (both unlimited usage, and no land line costs obvioulsy, so will actually be cheaper than my current ADSL and boosty with Three 4G setup)

Obviously I want to go with the cheaper option, just hoping 25Mbps is enough?

I get a fairly sad 15mbps due to my house location... Amazon and YouTube streams at ultra HD with HDR. Although doing anything else on WiFi at the same time is quite limited. Can't comment on Netflix though sorry!

If I was spending that much on a TV, I'd be tempted to get a ultra HD player and get physical copies. Suppose the up to 25mbps might be cutting it fine depending on how close you are to the exchange etc.

This may give you a better idea of what speeds to expect in the real world ,if you don't already know... http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

Associate
Just inspired me to upgrade my Netflix account to check if 4K works :D so that's also streaming at 4K with 15mbps Internet speed.

Whether it performs as well during more busy periods of the day, I will have to find out!

Soldato
Erm.... With a 12mb Internet speed, unless your getting a 4k player and discs I'd say you've wasted your cash.

4K and HDR is down on the list of great things about current OLED panels. Nice to have, for sure, but it's the CRT levels of contrast we've been missing for so long that's the show stopper. Everything I watch looks markedly better.

TJM

TJM

Associate
The 5 ghz means jack all. Its just a frequency If your miles away from the exchange a broadband change won't fix it. If you can get fibre than that makes the difference.
It sounds like he's getting a wireless provider, such as Relish, so distance to the exchange doesn't matter and those services can be OK for anything other than twitch gaming. Still, if the maximum is 25Mbps, I would assume it is going to consistently fall short.

Back
Top Bottom