• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buyers rights

Caporegime
Just for clarity on what people are saying, I bought a jump starter battery from Argos and it said up to 3L diesel engines. Mine is a 2L diesel and it didn't work, so took it back and said it wasn't fit for purpose, which they then refunded me. This goes for anything you buy (within reason) I believe and I have never had an issue returning something that wasn't good enough.

Man of Honour
Have you got a link to that interview, as I have not heard or seen such claims.

:Edit

Never mind, I see where you got it from but seriously, you have to take the best case scenario for that statement and try taking that to a court of law. Remember the "Poor Volta" sign that AMD had when they were releasing Vega - Yer, enough said :D

Nothing poor about my little Volta card, nearly twice as fast as Vega and uses less power.:D

Caporegime
He's cherry picking his words... you can see and read the full content of the interview here... https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-tom-petersen-geforce-rtx,37727.html

Amongst other things, the mere fact he uses the phrase "could expect to see" makes any suggestion that you could use this interview as basis for some sort of legal action against Nvidia absolutely laughable beyond belief. :D
Yer, I see your earlier response (I jumped in too quick before reading all the replies) and you are indeed spot on.

Soldato
Just for clarity on what people are saying, I bought a jump starter battery from Argos and it said up to 3L diesel engines. Mine is a 2L diesel and it didn't work, so took it back and said it wasn't fit for purpose, which they then refunded me. This goes for anything you buy (within reason) I believe and I have never had an issue returning something that wasn't good enough.

That's not the situation that's been discussed though Greg. The product you bought didn't work. IF you buy a new 2070 and it doesn't work of course you will be able to return it, but, try bringing Nvidia to court because it doesn't perform 35% faster than your old card in your favourite game just because Tom Petersen in an interview said that Turing cards would be 35 to 45% faster.

Caporegime
That's not the situation that's been discussed though Greg. The product you bought didn't work. IF you buy a new 2070 and it doesn't work of course you will be able to return it, but, try bringing Nvidia to court because it doesn't perform 35% faster than your old card in your favourite game just because Tom Petersen in an interview said that Turing cards would be 35 to 45% faster.
That was my point but I did spread it over a couple of posts (not long been in from work). If it doesn't do the job that is advertised, then you can take it back but if you try taking it back by saying (it isn't giving me 35% more performance in blah blah game, then I feel you would have a hard time trying to get your funds back.

Soldato

It's just absurd that anyone would even think this... no less so than the "light years ahead" line, and if the 20xx series don't have alien technology from a galaxy that is in fact "light years" away then we must sue them! :D

Associate
Even if its not against any law surely its not good business to get a customers money when they pre ordering a product with the impression it will be of x, y, z standard but come release day its missing Y.
I'd agree but there has been so little official information released about the 20XX cards. If the full specs and some full comparisons against Pascal had been published it would be a different story.

Hopefully there will be some more info included with the Turing architecture info which is due to be released later today.

Soldato
My biggest gripe is using "light years" as a time when it's a measure of distance. You could argue both would be a measure of being ahead but I bet you whoever wrote that was thinking of the cards being (10) years ahead if AMD. Which for ray tracing may be true.

I really don't see RT taking off for 5+ years. Until the majority can run it they won't keep putting money in to develop for it. Most on here won't buy a card capable so Joe public are a very long way off seeing it.

Associate
We are well protected in the UK with the distance selling regulations, if within 14 days you can return said item for any reason and get a full refund unless it's proved you damaged the item in some way. Opening the box, installing hardware etc is all covered under the evaluation terms. There are exceptions to this like software, food, and customized items though.

Caporegime
Don't pre-order; wait for independent reviews.

/thread

(Everybody knows that marketing claims should be laughed at, then the paper they are printed in recycled or composted. It's about as useful as it will ever be.)

Soldato
Yes, you are absolutely allowed to open and install the card. The regulations state that "the extent to which you can handle the goods is the same as it would be if you were assessing them in a shop." I don't know how on earth you would be expected to "assess" a GPU without installing it?! For example, a GPU could say "cool and quiet"... how are you supposed to assess that any other way?

It is important to note however that a deduction on your refund can be made if the value of the goods has been reduced as a result of you handling them more than necessary, so if during your 'assessment' of the card you scratch or damage it, then you would be liable for that. Which is fair.

I got stuffed then.. Ordered a hard drive from an online retailer (elsewhere).. tried to install it.. saw the contact pins for install were bent out of shape [prior to install this was]. Phoned them, they said they can't refund as I had tried to install it and therefore damaged it when i hadn't. awful experience. ever since then.. i've been tempted to just stick to rainforest...
i find the smaller companies really shouldn't cry when the big boys offer better customer service.

only heard good things about overclockers tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
I got stuffed then.. Ordered a hard drive from an online retailer (elsewhere).. tried to install it.. saw the contact pins for install were bent out of shape [prior to install this was]. Phoned them, they said they can't refund as I had tried to install it and therefore damaged it when i hadn't. awful experience. ever since then.. i've been tempted to just stick to rainforest...
i find the smaller companies really shouldn't cry when the big boys offer better customer service.

only heard good things about overclockers tho.

Always pay by credit card and then claim off them - the retailer would have to be able to PROVE the hard drive was perfect when shipped out e.g. they would have to have clear photos of every angle of the hard drive before they shipped it which they wouldn't have. All faulty goods are assumed to be faulty at point of sale up to 6 months.

Soldato
Always pay by credit card and then claim off them - the retailer would have to be able to PROVE the hard drive was perfect when shipped out e.g. they would have to have clear photos of every angle of the hard drive before they shipped it which they wouldn't have. All faulty goods are assumed to be faulty at point of sale up to 6 months.

I'll do this for now on... is there ANY advantage paying debit?

Back
Top Bottom