Online backup or offsite storage for 8-10tb

Soldato
My Home NAS which has currently about 6TB of 10TB in use, needs a backup solution.

I have really 2 options (I think)
I can pay $9.99 a month (about £95 a year) for crashplan online backup which will take around 6 months, and probably about the same to recover the data should the worst happen.
or
I could buy a single 8 - 10TB HDD and install it in the server at my business premises.
I could do the initial backup locally, which wouldn't take so long, then transfer the drive to my business Server, and should the worst happen I would have the drive and data available straight away.
Obviously the data wouldn't have any parity so I would be relying on the drive being "in good condition" if I needed it. and the cost for that is around £200 - £300, so about 3 years worth of online backup.

most data isn't critical, but would be a huge inconvenience if lost, any critical/important data is already backed up to google drive, and my business server backs up to home NAS RAID array every night anyway.

What should I do ?

Soldato
OP
As I said I can run the initial backup localy to "seed" the backup, then transfer the drive to the business premises afterwards. So internet speed is not really an issue for the initial backup.

Last edited:
Soldato
I can pay $9.99 a month (about £95 a year) for crashplan online backup which will take around 6 months, and probably about the same to recover the data should the worst happen.
Is that 6 months due to you having a low upload speed? Crashplan aren't the fastest, but they aren't that slow.

Soldato
OP
Is that 6 months due to you having a low upload speed? Crashplan aren't the fastest, but they aren't that slow.
I regularly achieve 70/18 so it shouldn't be down to my speed.

I have crashplan runing right now however, I have created 3 backups sets so that I can prioritise the more important data.
2nd set is around 365GB and its jumping around, last nigh it said 3 days left, now its saying 10 days (48 gb completed so far)its been running for 3 days already.

The first set didn't take this long and that one was 150GB.

Not sure I will stick with crashplan though, the software seems really buggy, I've already uninstalled/reinstalled it twice. Also this speed limitation is what got me thinking about having my own "cloud"
I can always upgrade to a RAID1 setup for this backup on my business server further down the line if needed

Soldato
Ive got Crashplan running on my unRAID NAS.

It took two or three weeks to upload the 2TB I currently have stored. My upload is 19Mbps but I limited Crashplan to about 14Mbps.

Soldato
OP
i use nas4free, don't think I can run a crashplan client on it.
It is running from Windows over the network though. I'll check the settings later and see if there is something in there limiting it.

Soldato
I have just started looking into LTO tape backup for backing up huge amounts of data as I have 3-4tb worth of data that I should backup but haven't. Got myself a second hand LOT3 tape drive and now Im just waiting for the tapes to come in the post..... Maybe worth you looking into it, as LTO tapes are much cheaper then hard drives and the tapes are much more reliable then hard drives too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom