yet another Intel vs AMD question..

Associate
hi guys, I haven't kept up properly with the changes that's why I'm asking for advice.

background info - I have a i5-3570k (running at stock after oc-ing for a while to 4ghz and becoming unstable) , 16GB RAM, GTX970, 1000W PSU , multiple SSDs

I'm planning towards an upgrade, more likely just for the cpu/mobo/ram. I'm in no rush, I might wait till the xmass sales (hopefully it would offset some of the brexit hardware rises)
I don't have a exact budget in mind but can spend 400-600£ if I have to or feel it's a good deal

- it is my impression Ryzen 5 is the better deal (price/quality) but is Intel better at getting higher frames?
- what if both were overclocked? Easier to oc the Ryzen than it is an Intel cpu?
- I'm thinking a AMD Ryzen 7 1800X with an X370 OC-ed hopefully to 4ghz.
Would an i5 overclock better/easier at a similar price?

Associate
I'm in a similar situation, but just patiently waiting it out. I have the money, which was burning a hole in my pocket, but it's bothering me less by the day... kinda get used to waiting on PC hardware vendors!

From what I can gather, Intel are the kings of MHZ and single core/thread performance in gaming. Especially at 1080p. The gap seems to narrow significantly at 1440p and above though.

I guess the monitor resolution and refresh will play a major role in the decision. For me, Intel 'was' the clear choice as I run a 32" 1080p monitor @144hz and like my FPS games running at least 80fps, but 6 cores just seems like it's not going to age as well. So basically I'm no help, I cant decide, so I'll wait for the 9000 series and see what's what. Whatever you get though, 8600k/8700k or 2700x, I'm sure you'll see a fairly big jump in performance!

Soldato
I used AMD for many years, switching to Intel about 10 years ago when AMD fell behind. While Ryzen has brought AMD performance up near Intel it is still not as good .. but AMD's lower priced makes it a viable option.

Keep in mind for most users 2x cores / 4x threads is all we can use/need. Few games use more than 2 cores, but there are a few .. more than that are as rare as chicken lips. Basic rule of thumb is going from 1x cores /2x threads to 2x cores /4x threads makes a big difference. Going from 2x to 4x cores often improve performance depending on software being used. For 6x/12x and more to improve performance further requires software designed to use more .. and that software / number of cores is rarely needed or used in our home systems.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
What I'm going for seems to fairly closely matched in price (Ryzen 7 1800X vs I5-8600K, about £50 difference for the cpu, haven't checked mobos yet).
I think I5-8600K can get close to 5GHz even on air (I have a Noctua NH-D15) so the questions are:
- easier/harder to overclock the i5? My last OC was very time consuming, I don't have the time and the patience for it anymore.
- better performance in games from the I5-8600K vs Ryzen 7 1800X ? It's ~5GHz vs ~4GHz
Sure the AMD will be more future proof (in theory) with more cores but the faster clock speed on the Intel would mean better performance short term (I'll upgrade again in ~4 years anyway)

Soldato
In short term Intel platform certainly has advantage with some edge in most games.

But in long term besides having speculative code execution and TLBleed holes it's also dead end on upgrade path.
Architecture has stayed same since "6th" gen Skylake, with only clock speed tweaks and now core count increase.
"9th" gen is just another rehash of Skylake adding more cores and disabling hyper-threading. (that's their TLBleed bugfix)
With Intel's actually improved architecture being in development hell of Intel's 10nm manufacturing process...
Which might maybe come out for Christmas of next year, more likely for 2020 at current rate.
Intel sure took big fall in last five years.

While AMD is going to support current socket to 2020 with architecturally improved Zen2 and 7nm node likely at least evening situation in most games already in late winter/spring.
Year later AMD will release it's tweaked Zen2+ (whatever it's named) version with likely faster clocking more mature manufacturing process.

Associate
OP
maybe I'm missing something, why do I care about the upgrade path? It's not like I'm going to "upgrade" something inside the CPU, I'm going to replace it completely in ~4 years, same as I'm doing with the existing i5 3570k.
The way I see it what I buy has to be my best option at this point in time. What the manufacturer will do, if they bring new models with improvements - is nearly irrelevant as my kit is fixed - not up-gradable and there will always be changes, it's the nature of the industry.

Again, maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Edit: I think this vid answers my questions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w20dtqcCFk

If I OC both, i5-8600k will come on top

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom