• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Soldato
To be fair your 2500k is probably not that far behind performance wise. But yes you sir are very much due an upgrade and hopefully it will be worth it without having to spend too much.

It had been a brilliant CPU. I have taken a chance and gone for 1900X now they're £264. Hopefully I get a long lived good all rounder with some upgrade potential. I imagine these new 9xxx series cpus will be quick.

Permabanned
It had been a brilliant CPU. I have taken a chance and gone for 1900X now they're £264. Hopefully I get a long lived good all rounder with some upgrade potential. I imagine these new 9xxx series cpus will be quick.
Yeah no doubt they will but I told myself I will wait til next year and see where the land lays then. In the meantime my meager i5 will have to do.

Associate
If You want more performance pick up a Second-hand X99 and 5820K and save your self a lot of money compared to buying new and it will still last you a good 5 years or more.

I'm looking to upgrade from a 2500k. I use the PC mainly for Photoshop/Illustrator use, but I do game (albeit infrequently and not usually the 'latest' games). I've been offered a 5820k and Gigabyte Gaming 5p for £180. It might sound naive, but am I better off waiting out the 9000 release, putting more money into a build and hope it lasts longer? How far behind is the 5820k? Other than the board looking a bit dusty, this 5820k looks fine.

Permabanned
I'm looking to upgrade from a 2500k. I use the PC mainly for Photoshop/Illustrator use, but I do game (albeit infrequently and not usually the 'latest' games). I've been offered a 5820k and Gigabyte Gaming 5p for £180. It might sound naive, but am I better off waiting out the 9000 release, putting more money into a build and hope it lasts longer? How far behind is the 5820k? Other than the board looking a bit dusty, this 5820k looks fine.

Well this latest Intel setup, including DDR4 Ram, is going to cost you probably £800+

Soldato
Well this latest Intel setup, including DDR4 Ram, is going to cost you probably £800+

One of the reasons that's pushed me back towards AMD. Last time I built a PC top end mainstream i7 was £230 (Ibou h the 2500k for £150), high end motherboard £200 and RAM 16GB £100.

This time Intel was just too much, for similar money I could get into HEDT which I've always fancied playing with but was way too expensive.

That said if you have the cash and need the fps the 9900K is looking like a beast.

Soldato
One of the reasons that's pushed me back towards AMD. Last time I built a PC top end mainstream i7 was £230 (Ibou h the 2500k for £150), high end motherboard £200 and RAM 16GB £100.

This time Intel was just too much, for similar money I could get into HEDT which I've always fancied playing with but was way too expensive.

That said if you have the cash and need the fps the 9900K is looking like a beast.
With current GPU and RAM prices, CPU is inevitably a sensible area to save cash when budgeting a build.

Soldato
For the money, the 5820k shone as the logical choice. Even if it only lasts me a year or 2, for that price, it seemed worthwhile.

Just need to find some XMP RAM (pretty sure that board supports up to 3200) and a cooler now.
I would imagine the i7-5820K would last more than 2 years unless the current pace of core count increases continues and games readily use 10-12 cores by then. Who knows how fast that kind of change will happen on the software side.

Also, how long a setup "lasts" depends on the person. I still don't have a reason to upgrade my ancient rig so I know in your position I'd go for the i7-5820K option you had. Others might not.

Caporegime
if it oc well its quicker than any ryzen ingames and good at multicore stuff. £180 for that is good. be more than enough for 2 years plus yet.

you wont see much changes games wise now until next gen consoles come out.

Back
Top Bottom