Which ultrawide 100Hz+ Gsync?

Associate
My ag352ucg6 just arrived today. It did not start well - the stand was setup wrong. Theres a circular bit which somone at the factory screwed in wrong. Had to unscrew it and orientate it the proper way. Then the power supply needed a cloverleaf adaptor but there was only a European style one in there. Someone had put in a kettle lead which was umm useless.

The OSD is clunky compared to the likes of Acer and Samsung.

Gaming on the panel is wonderful. I think I was lucky no dead pixels and great uniformity. I had some IPS glow on my old acer predator and whilst it wasnt to bad it did detract from the games I played.

Associate
Hi, Just to let you all know I have tried an ag352ucg6 and and Alienware AW3418DW. Frankly they are both pretty similar in gaming ( I'm not a pro gamer though ). Both look wonderful watching netflix etc. Looking at both costs the Agon is around £270 - £400 cheaper then the Alienware though and I would go for that if cost was a factor which it usually is. I would say the Agon has the edge in visuals though but thats definitely a personal subjective thing.

Its great having 2 Pcs with different technologies though. ( One for house and one for the Cabin )

Soldato
OP
Hi, Just to let you all know I have tried an ag352ucg6 and and Alienware AW3418DW. Frankly they are both pretty similar in gaming ( I'm not a pro gamer though ). Both look wonderful watching netflix etc. Looking at both costs the Agon is around £270 - £400 cheaper then the Alienware though and I would go for that if cost was a factor which it usually is. I would say the Agon has the edge in visuals though but thats definitely a personal subjective thing.

Its great having 2 Pcs with different technologies though. ( One for house and one for the Cabin )
Thanks for the update.

What would you say looks better about the AOC? The main concerns with the VA panels seems to be that the black levels are not actually that good because they and the colours are washed out by the close viewing angle. Do you notice any smearing or ghosting in darker areas?

My major concern with those VA panels is that there is some confusion over whether they are 6bit or 8bit, do you notice or can you test for any banding?

I'm still on the lookout for a good deal as I'm currently looking at the Alienware and the X34p but I am loathed to spend £900 on a monitor which will likely have bleed and other issues.

Also hate to admit it but the design of the AOC puts me off, it's not very pleasing to the eye.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for the update.

What would you say looks better about the AOC? The main concerns with the VA panels seems to be that the black levels are not actually that good because they and the colours are washed out by the close viewing angle. Do you notice any smearing or ghosting in darker areas?

My major concern with those VA panels is that there is some confusion over whether they are 6bit or 8bit, do you notice or can you test for any banding?

I'm still on the lookout for a good deal as I'm currently looking at the Alienware and the X34p but I am loathed to spend £900 on a monitor which will likely have bleed and other issues.

Also hate to admit it but the design of the AOC puts me off, it's not very pleasing to the eye.

I know you are looking at UW, but having myself recently moved from the X34 to the LG 32GK850G I have not found I miss the UW aspect very much. I don't know too much about the VA panel in the AOC, but the VA panel in my LG is known for being one of the best ones available. I have had no issue with smearing or ghosting. Black levels are typically better on VA vs IPS, so that's something to be aware of. I can certainly see an improvement there over my X34, plus there is zero bleed which almost every IPS panel will suffer from to some degree or another. In dark scenes in dimly lit rooms, this can be very annoying.

TFT Central did a good review of the LG, and also one on the AOC 352UCG back in 2017, but this seems to be the older model which had a max refresh of 100hz? Not sure if the newer model is much improved and with a different panel or not, but the review does highlight some issues. I also noticed OCUK don't seem to sell the AOC which I found odd. Seems like it would be an obvious one for them to stock.

It seems the AG352UCG and AG352UCG6 might actually be using different panels, or atleast a new revision. I really couldn't comment on how much of that TFT Central review is still accurate in the newer model though... the specs are otherwise very similar.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/b1e449257

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I wouldn't mind going back to 16:9 for the lower price and generally better displays but I use the extra width a lot on the desktop and in apps. It is extremely good in things like Lightroom and browsing side by side with video or another app. Used to be a dual screen man before going to ultrawide.

Associate
Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Its been a mad week and had network cabling installed at the house.

I will get some photos of them both up this coming week. I got offered 10% back due to my issues with the wrong power supply and also the stand so decided to keep the Agon. Playing them both side by side I dont really notice much difference apart from the Agon has no light bleed and a notice better contrast.

Both are great monitors. Alienware ofc having the 3 year warranty certainly puts my mind at rest.

I play Destiny 2 and Wow and PubG mainly.

Associate
Hi there, Finally been able to put up a Photo - sorry for the long delay.

I have this AG352UCG6 and the Alienware AW3418DW.

The Alienware is the bottom monitor and the Agon is the top one.

Soldato
OP
I actually found a good deal on the Alienware so I went with that:

436543367.jpg

It's pretty nice, definitely better than the Predator x34, less glow and at least mine has next to no bleed in the corners. Little disappointed at the lack of colour and gamma control in the options, left the pixel response at normal as even the first setting seems to give a noticeable amount of ghosting.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
Definitely leave pixel response at normal. I used these settings that TFT Central used:

Monitor OSD Calibrated Settings
Preset Mode:Custom Color
Brightness: 37
Contrast: 75
RGB: 93, 93, 100

I realise that all panels are slightly different, but I quite liked this on mine. Changing the RGB made a big difference to the image.

I have some glow in the bottom corners, but don't notice it in game, except for Overwatch because it plays 16:9 and has black bars at the sides, but my focus is on the centre of the screen so it doesn't bother me.

Associate
I actually found a good deal on the Alienware so I went with that:

It's pretty nice, definitely better than the Predator x34, less glow and at least mine has next to no bleed in the corners. Little disappointed at the lack of colour and gamma control in the options, left the pixel response at normal as even the first setting seems to give a noticeable amount of ghosting.

Just found this thread as I’m thinking of getting the Alienware UW screen.

Could you tell me what desk and screen bracket they are please? They look ideal for my new room that I’m going to setting up in.

Thanks...

Soldato
Just found this thread as I’m thinking of getting the Alienware UW screen.

Could you tell me what desk and screen bracket they are please? They look ideal for my new room that I’m going to setting up in.

Thanks...

That desktop looks like an Ikea Karlby kitchen one, with the Alex drawers and a set of trestle legs. I did something similar myself with the Alex drawers and Ekbacken top, very sturdy.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/kitchen-products/worktops-worktops-accessories/

Soldato
I'm at pretty much the same point as Vantom in the opening post.. I've been on the XR34 for just over 3 years (the freesync version of X34) but the 75Hz limitation is something I'd like to remove. I'm even considering moving from Vega to RTX (performance depending) so a GSync screen is a possibility... The only monitor I can see that's really an upgrade is the upcoming X35 (that's been "upcoming" for well over a year now) but geh, can't decide if it's really a worthwhile upgrade...

Any other screens I should be looking at? Tbh, the BFG displays are a little enticing too, but I can't help feel that I'd miss the wide ratio.....

Associate
Get the new LG series that use the newest version of the IPS panel that has their version of quantum dots:

LG 34GK950F
LG 34GK950G

Free-sync version 144 Hz
G-Sync version 120 Hz

These panels were designed for 144 Hz unlike the previous versions, so pixel response and overdrive should be superior.

Back
Top Bottom