is this the best psu for under £50?

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £48.49 (includes shipping: £10.50)

im looking at this, the VS450/CX450(grey labels) or one of those Aerocool integrator 400-600w.

i know these are a downgrade to my current supernova, but i want to replace it with something like the above that is decent, will power my system fine and no more than £50, i dont plan on selling my current, but i want a non modular unit, mainly because of my 660 having its 6 pin on top and my case having that fixed cage i am having to wedge the 6 pin cable and as such the cables are in the way ive had to remove my case fan to fit the side panel on.

i can spend more, but since im not selling my modular i see no point in spending too much not to mention these are brand new, havent seen much on the used market that is better rating and fixed cables for my budget.

edit:

dont suggest changing case as im fed up of doing that lol, plus i havent found a case that is the same size of my cs-102 that doesnt have a fixed full height panel for drives and not long getting the 660 i dont plan on changing gpu for a while either.

Man of Honour
While that psu does get recommended by some people for budget builds I wouldn't be happy with it and out of your list the only one I would consider is the grey (looks white to me) label Corsair CX450. The new Great Wall built units (RPS0063 / CP-9020120) is better than the old CWT built units but is still nowhere near as good as your EVGA. Can't you mod your case so you can keep using the EVGA? Avoid the awful Corsair VS series and Aerocool psu's at all costs!! Don't forget to consider length. If you get a psu that is longer than the 150mm of your EVGA GS you won't be gaining any space at all.

Soldato
OP
thanks for reply.

okay thats good to know on the cx450, i know i had no isses with the green 430/600, but obviously i dont want to waste money on the weaker unit.. ha length of the unit didnt cross my mind, so good shout.. i probably could mod the cage round the power port, but i like the case and wont own the system for too long, i just want to see how better i could wire it with non modular, that is unless other modular units have better designed cables?

Soldato
OP
i went with the cx450 in the end, i installed it before the weekend, but havnt put it to use yet, turned out the pcie cable has next to no flex due to cable design, so its no use for my current system :rolleyes:, so its now sitting nicely in my elite 110 case where ill be putting my AM1 back to use until i get better hardware, i am looking at itx ryzen setups again, so the corsair should be fine for that..

i also like that its smaller in dimensions than my evga too meaning more space in the cube for cabling.

Back
Top Bottom