• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Permabanned
Regardless whats being compared i don't trust numbers from the manufacturer, as it's well known they will go out of their way to find specific areas in games that best showcases framerate and then that becomes their numbers they slap on guides like this. Reviews from sites will be more telling in the long run. :)
I only trust Gamers nexus nowadays. Cant wait till Steve gets AIO mod on 2080ti and see what it can do. Then Buildzoid does pcb hard mod and gets stupid TDP limit off and we can see what those can really do with no crappy limits.

Soldato
Some good stuff in the DF video. Watch from 10m30s onwards.

• Mesh shading.
  • Variable rate shading.
  • Content/Motion adaptive shading.

All optimisations (or tricks) to use shading power where it is needed and only where its needed.

Obviously we already know about DLSS, covered earlier in the video.

Could they have introduced some of this on Pascal? I bet they could have.

Associate
Regardless whats being compared i don't trust numbers from the manufacturer, as it's well known they will go out of their way to find specific areas in games that best showcases framerate and then that becomes their numbers they slap on guides like this. Reviews from sites will be more telling in the long run. :)
Yes, best case to showcase the new hardware. I've got no problem with them doing that (to be perfectly honest they'd be daft not to) as long as it's clear what settings, cards res etc were used.

If it is FE vs FE then they are comparing a non OC 1080 Ti to a OC 2080 / 2080 Ti. How is that fair? Doesn't seem anyone really thinks into that enough.
I think you're correct, reference FE 1080 & 1080Ti vs FE 2080 & 2080Ti which are now both overclocked. I suppose it's fair because they're the only cards Nvidia make. It probably means a 2-3% difference.

Benchmarks all at 4K to allow the 2080Ti to stretch it's legs. This was mentioned by Gibbo the other day. 1080 and 1440 will be closer.

Associate
Noticed on unboxing video that the FE came with a DP to DVI adapter. My monitor is 120hz but no display port just DVI-D.

Silly question but is the adapter a dvi-d one so i can get the 120hz?

Has anyone noticed other unboxing videos if all brands are doing a DVI adapter in box? If not be handy to know which are for the 2080. I'm happy with my monitor.

***After research it appears a standard DP to DVI-D cable will not do the job and i would need a active one which seem to be expensive.

So its either get a new monitor or go down to 60hz :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
https://videocardz.com/77983/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-and-rtx-2080-official-performance-unveiled

Here is a link to some performance numbers. Again, a pinch of salt to be taken before reading :p

It's Nivdia's figures and comparing an FE 1080ti/1080 with an FE 2080 and 2080Ti.

To give an example, In the link above the 1080ti gets 57fps in the Witcher 3. But, I have seen reviews of 1080Ti's getting 65+ in the same game.

So these figures should make some people happy, or not.

Unless it's a canned benchmark, which there isn't for Witcher 3, you really can't say test run A will match test run B in a game. That run where they got 57 FPS might have been much more intensive/different area than one where you get 65 FPS. That's why it's important to a) have equal scenarios and b) a good amount of test data.

Also, those new videocardz charts are entirely based on numbers provided by nVidia -- highly optomistic outcome.

Caporegime
Also, those new videocardz charts are entirely based on numbers provided by nVidia -- highly optomistic outcome.

Yup, and I'm also betting that the newer FE's are clocked a little closer to AiB cards too this time around. Waiting for a reputable site for benchmarks is best all round, but knowing it's (lower-clocked) FE vs FE eases the pain a little :D

Soldato
To give an example, In the link above the 1080ti gets 57fps in the Witcher 3. But, I have seen reviews of 1080Ti's getting 65+ in the same game.
So these figures should make some people happy, or not.
Reviews need to be done at the same time and same reviewer. It's completely irrelevant that you saw a review of a 1080Ti getting 65+, we have no idea what exact settings are used probably in either scenario.
Official reviews soon anyway
Damn that sucks...
I have zero time for gaming too as our company is going through a big growth phase so I am insanely busy and traveling pretty much every week. But in our latest board meeting we decided we would be building custom desk PCs for the entire C-suite as we need good tech for our *ahem* jobs (we are all gamers) and of course we need a company group for Cyberpunk so I am expecting some fun this spring when we move to the new office and build the *work* desks
(Just hope the rest of my employees don't get too jealous)
Yep, kinda wish I just left the order in place but with a delivery date of late Oct I thought I might as well wait until next year. Does mean my other PC has to go without a GPU for now, resulting in me having to put up with a res lower than the monitor native res when using it :(.
Sounds like you work for a great company!

Great video above - thanks muon.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone know if OCUKs AIB cards will still be shipped around the 20th? I have an MSI DUKE 2080TI on preorder and want to take a day off to receive it ;)
I ordered just after the presentation so am relatively confident I'd be in the first batch

Back
Top Bottom