Mid-range gaming laptop reccomendations

Soldato
I'm looking at spending £700-800 on a laptop, not really too concerned with its weight or size but nothing crazy that looks like a lambourghini.

I'm aware that im looking at a dual core i5 with 8gb of ram and probably a HDD for that price range, but ideally i'm after a 1050 at least, i want something that doesn't get too hot and isn't too loud. If i can get an SSD it would be great.

The only game i really need it to run is world of warcraft..

Ive heard the Dell G5 mostly fits in to that price range and performance.

Do you guys have any other reccomendations? :)

Soldato
Hi @terley

A very good time to look at some of our notebooks. We have just sent over a load of games to @Robbie_G and @Gibbo so you get around £150 of free games with Asus Gaming Notebooks. All of these are full games. Battlefield 1, PubG + DLC, CS:GO, Killing Floor 2 + some other great software

Check this little battle box out

FX504GM-EN151T at £899

15.6" Screen with 120Hz Display
8th Gen i5 8300H CPU
GTX 1060
256GB SSD + 1TB
8GB DDR IV
Free Mouse and Bag

If you can't go over your budget then have a look at this with a GTX 1050

FX504GD-E4063T @ £699

15.6" FHD
8th Gen i5 8300H CPU
GTX 1050
1TB + 16GB Optane Drive
8GB DDR IV
+ Free Game Bundle

In regards to Optane, we had The Tech Chap compare real world performance on Gaming with a 1TB without Optane and with Optane.

Soldato
OP
Hi @terley

A very good time to look at some of our notebooks. We have just sent over a load of games to @Robbie_G and @Gibbo so you get around £150 of free games with Asus Gaming Notebooks. All of these are full games. Battlefield 1, PubG + DLC, CS:GO, Killing Floor 2 + some other great software

Check this little battle box out

FX504GM-EN151T at £899

15.6" Screen with 120Hz Display
8th Gen i5 8300H CPU
GTX 1060
256GB SSD + 1TB
8GB DDR IV
Free Mouse and Bag

If you can't go over your budget then have a look at this with a GTX 1050

FX504GD-E4063T @ £699

15.6" FHD
8th Gen i5 8300H CPU
GTX 1050
1TB + 16GB Optane Drive
8GB DDR IV
+ Free Game Bundle

In regards to Optane, we had The Tech Chap compare real world performance on Gaming with a 1TB without Optane and with Optane.

Some fantastic suggestions there Loki, thank you! How are the thermals on the FX504GM?

Associate
Some fantastic suggestions there Loki, thank you! How are the thermals on the FX504GM?

Hey Terley, I got the FX504GM this week and I love it. It's light, fast and in my opinion has a great feel to it compared to some other laptops with the same budget. My only gripe is that after windows updates, the SSD only has 160gb free but that's not a laptop fault by any means. If you can stretch your budget a little then I'd highly recommend it. The free bag was also a bonus. No free games for me though :(.

Soldato
Hey Terley, I got the FX504GM this week and I love it. It's light, fast and in my opinion has a great feel to it compared to some other laptops with the same budget. My only gripe is that after windows updates, the SSD only has 160gb free but that's not a laptop fault by any means. If you can stretch your budget a little then I'd highly recommend it. The free bag was also a bonus. No free games for me though :(.

Hey @muttclugg drop me a PM and I will send you a game code :)

Soldato

Thermals are pretty decent. If you want some real-world performance and feedback then I would ask @~Divine~Wind~ to offer you some feedback regarding how the FX model performs in regards to thermals vs performance. I know he recently purchased one and his feedback to me was very positive but of course getting the feedback from him directly rather than me would probably be of greater benefit to you ;)

Associate
Thermals are pretty decent. If you want some real-world performance and feedback then I would ask @~Divine~Wind~ to offer you some feedback regarding how the FX model performs in regards to thermals vs performance. I know he recently purchased one and his feedback to me was very positive but of course getting the feedback from him directly rather than me would probably be of greater benefit to you ;)

Of course anecdotal reviews are interesting but a serious and indepth look by a renowned notebook site such as notebook check has a much wider analysis of the notebook in question, and the appropriate tools to measure temps and noise levels - more info here.

Soldato
Of course anecdotal reviews are interesting but a serious and indepth look by a renowned notebook site such as notebook check has a much wider analysis of the notebook in question, and the appropriate tools to measure temps and noise levels - more info here.

Absolute no issue with Notebook check. It's an impartial AND credible fact based website. . Please don't suggest I'm implying otherwise. Real world use passed off as `anecdotal` is just as valuable

Can't type for toffee
Don
Yip @Loki is right just got mine :)

Got rid of my last PC august last year, 7700K 1080Ti, 16GB RAM AIO watercooler and a SFF case.
I didn't have the space nor time for a dedicated PC setup any longer, now both the bairns are at nursery/school means I've recovered a good few hours every day.
back then I mainly played WoW, Diablo and Heroes so not really stretching the machine much so started the TR reboots and GoW 4.

Well I'm more than happy with my purchase :)
Spent hours in Gears of war 4 Horde so far, I did have other plans but I forgot how much I enjoyed horde haha.
I've had a quick plodge around in the last TR also and that runs flawlessly in my eyes

The one thing that has really surprised me is how quiet the machine is, and it gets nowhere as hot as my old Toshiba satellite.
The 1080 FE I had could get pretty noisy at times and the satellite was just a bog standard desktop replacement haha
On the basis that it's not getting tho hot enough to be of concern I've not even installed any HW monitoring at all.

Whilst not the most demanding of uses as yet I'm certainly happy with how its ran what I have chucked at it

The keyboard is taking a bit of getting used to, I've never been a fan of laptop keyboards and used mechanical for years now.
My other concern was going from a 27" 1440p screen to a 15.6" 1080 screen and I almost skipped out on this to wait for a 17", but I just grabbed one anyway.
No concerns now the screen is nice and bright, crystal clear and viewing angles are great.

Cost wise to get the same spec from other manufacturers I was looking at notably more than the Asus has cost me.
It's also worth noting that there's upto £150 cashback available too currently.

https://gaming.asuspromotions.com/gb/en/claims/tradein/get-started

HTH OP

Associate
Hi @~Divine~Wind~

Could you install HWiNFo64 and run the following tests with HWiNFO recording the clocks and temps?

OCCT With Small Data Set
OCCT With Big Data Set
OCCT With Linpack & AVX
OCCT With Linpack & SSE

Firestrike stress test

Please post the full results to pastebin or similar.

Many thanks.

Back
Top Bottom