• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
Greatest paper launch in history

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1337...080ti-general-availability-by-week-to-sept-27

Nvidia really nailed this launch, pricing, performance figures and availability. Great stuff from the green team xD

Pre orders will still be fulfilled and I’m not being funny but anyone not pre ordering a new GPU launch are likely to be disappointed...

I am not fussed about the delay, although it would be nice to have it asafp.

You preordered did you not? Not sure why people can’t understand simple things... it’s only GENERAL AVAILABILITY that is delayed. Pre orders should still be sent out as is.

Man of Honour
You preordered did you not? Not sure why people can’t understand simple things... it’s only GENERAL AVAILABILITY that is delayed. Pre orders should still be sent out as is.

Depends - some places have just been taking pre-orders irrespective of the number of orders they will actually be able to fulfil - there are going to be some disappointed people who pre-ordered.

Associate
EXCLUSIVE: NVIDIA RTX Series MSRP And Soon To Rise Cost Of PC DIY

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-nvidia-rtx-series-msrp-pc-cost/

As far as Trump's trade tariffs go, surely they will only impact goods shipped to the USA? Anything made in Asia and then shipped direct to Europe or elsewhere will not be affected, unless I'm missing something.

I suppose Nvidia's own FE cards may be impacted, but that depends where they are assembled. If the components are shipped to the US and the cards are finished and shipped from there, then the FE card prices could rise even higher.

But as far as the likes of Asus, MSI etc are concerned, they are fully made in Asia and shipped around the world from there and should be unaffected?

Associate
EXCLUSIVE: NVIDIA RTX Series MSRP And Soon To Rise Cost Of PC DIY

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-nvidia-rtx-series-msrp-pc-cost/

Trump tariffs only effect US enthusiasts - given we are on a UK forum this is unlikely to have an impact on most people here. However, come March 2019 UK enthusiasts might well start to see prices increases as the UK loses out on EU trade deals with the rest of the world - the UK would need to negotiate a new trade deal with China to compensate for Brexit before March.

Caporegime
4k only? Not sure if you being serious?

Yup, can only be reviewed at 4k, its in their reviewers guide.

Was in those benchmarks that VCs posted.

In GeForce RTX reviewer’s guide, NVIDIA is not using any other resolution than 4K. So all benchmarks (except VRMark Cyan Room) were performed at 3840×2160 resolution. In fact, the RTX 2080 series were ‘designed for 4K’, as the document claims.

Associate
As far as Trump's trade tariffs go, surely they will only impact goods shipped to the USA? Anything made in Asia and then shipped direct to Europe or elsewhere will not be affected, unless I'm missing something.
In theory i'd agree but given how retailers can be with price gouging i suspect a few will increase prices to widen margins and lay the blame on the the new US tariffs for 'reasons'.

Soldato
With these impending tariffs and the "who knows" possibility of mining profitibility returning in the future (I don't this is likely in the short term but you never know), it's arguably risky to be holding off a 20xx purchase based purely on the simple assumption that prices will drop. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Yup, can only be reviewed at 4k, its in their reviewers guide.

Was in those benchmarks that VCs posted.
If it's true,surely third party reviews will also be out soon too, to cover all resolutions and do pretty much whatever they want with them.
Although I' a fan of NV products I'll just say any reviewes getting a freebie and having to abide by NVdia's review rules are "sponsored" reviews (by Nvidia) :p. THat's not to say the reviews cannot be trusted but they may elect to keep quiet about any negative points.
Unbiased 3rd party reviews will be interesting although in the GPU world unbiased is rare to find

Last edited:
Soldato
Does it actually say in the reviewers guide that they have to be tested at 4k only?
I would be extremely surprised were this the case. It says that Nvidia only tested and provided numbers at 4K which does not mean that they are forcing reviewers to do the same. Everyone knows that you can run into CPU bottlenecks at lower resolutions. Therefore, the cards will be closer in performance when you do this so there is no need to use a single resolution to avoid confusion; reviewers need only point out the facts.

Caporegime
How can they stop reviewers putting out benchmarks at less than 4k?

I understand that 4k show the GPU's in the best light, as all the onus is on the GPU to push the pixels, whereas at lower resolutions it's more reliant on CPU power but even if there was some sort of NDA that specified 4K benchmarks only, it would be entirely pointless as the GPU's would make their way in to peoples hands within a week and 1080p benchmarks would be there for everyone to see.

Soldato

I understand that 4k show the GPU's in the best light, as all the onus is on the GPU to push the pixels, whereas at lower resolutions it's more reliant on CPU power but even if there was some sort of NDA that specified 4K benchmarks only, it would be entirely pointless as the GPU's would make their way in to peoples hands within a week and 1080p benchmarks would be there for everyone to see.
It's probably a conspiracy theory at this point, there's no way Nvidia could be that stupid.

Associate

I suppose they could through the NDA?

Soldato
Well, they can't. Eventually. But all of the people who Nvidia have sampled on this launch (and so covering all reviews that'll be available when the embargo expires) have signed an extremely restrictive multi-year NDA that puts them entirely under Nvidia's boot. Even AIBs aren't allowed to sample cards to people who aren't on Nvidia's approved list, so the only way to bypass it will be buying a card along with everybody else. So they'll do what they're told or face the wrath of Nvidia's legal department, one would imagine, given that the NDA is extremely broad and open to interpretation (meaning Nvidia can claim pretty much anything to be in breach of it). The reviews from people who aren't beholden to Nvidia likely won't arrive for at least a few days to a week after launch, depending on how quickly they can conduct their testing.

Back
Top Bottom