Gigabyte Aero 15 X Gaming Notebook With GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q Graphics

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Obviously you're not going to divulge much information, but I'm assuming the failure rate on these (as they're your god tier) laptops is pretty low?

And I'm also assuming that refurb QA is pretty good - and you'd only release the product back into the wild in as-new condition? I'm used to buying 2nd hand/refurb kit, but not at such a premium price, so I'm a little bit hesitant :)

Hi @MasterPlan1 - Sorry missed this yesterday, but saw your next post.

Do you have "TRUST" enabled on here OCUK forums - if so please message us and we can give fuller details.

You can be confident in the purchase :)

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Arrived, played, and loving it.

Did a weekend of keeping waifu happy because I wasn't stuck in front of PC upstairs, but I was downstairs "watching" TV instead, with laptop on lap... As that clearly makes all the difference. Temps during the day of gaming were peaks of GPU@70c when playing WoW, never heard it scream, generally sitting at a medium hum.

I have one complaint though, I'll have to do some more testing, but I think my keyboard maybe slightly faulty, 3 doesn't register all the time it'd seem, all the rest of keys appear to be ok, but 3 which is bound to Ice Lance in WoW, sometimes doesn't seem to fire off sometimes and requires multiple presses. Maybe this is because I'm used to mechanical keyboards, with NKRO and knowing for a fact that I've smashed "3"... Not sure. I'll continue to test see how it fares.

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

Did a weekend of keeping waifu happy because I wasn't stuck in front of PC upstairs, but I was downstairs "watching" TV instead, with laptop on lap... As that clearly makes all the difference. Temps during the day of gaming were peaks of GPU@70c when playing WoW, never heard it scream, generally sitting at a medium hum.

I have one complaint though, I'll have to do some more testing, but I think my keyboard maybe slightly faulty, 3 doesn't register all the time it'd seem, all the rest of keys appear to be ok, but 3 which is bound to Ice Lance in WoW, sometimes doesn't seem to fire off sometimes and requires multiple presses. Maybe this is because I'm used to mechanical keyboards, with NKRO and knowing for a fact that I've smashed "3"... Not sure. I'll continue to test see how it fares.

Hi @MasterPlan1 = glad everything seems ok for the most-part….

Regarding keyboard, please check that you have the latest recommended driver / firmware update from us in SMART UPDATE app.

We will drop you a mail with links.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Soldato

What's the track pad like? Does it have windows precision drivers

Associate
Hey folks, been a long time since Ive posted at OCUK. Ive been reading through this thread though as I purchased an Aero 15 X v8 the other day which will be with me tomorrow. First of all id like to say this thread is awesome and it really is great to see reps from Gigabyte so active in here and helping with any issues.

I need to hold my hands up here, I never ordered from OCUK as I had a lot of vouchers to use at a department store and it is the only way I could get away with it (also sold my 9 month old macbook 12 and trying to sell my 4 month old MSI GE73VR) to help fund this new machine.

I have also just ordered a Samsung 970 Evo 2TB to go with it. Im looking for a bit of advice on the best setup here. Would the Samsung be better to use purely for storage or would I be better installing a fresh windows 10 on the Samsung and either use the SSD that comes in the machine as a storage drive or sell it on and add another 1/2tb ssd down the line when required. Also does any of that affect warranty (I know adding a new ssd doesnt) but removing the existing and selling it etc.

Soldato
Thought I'd stick my head in here again just to say how excellent this laptop has been for me since January.

Have certainly put it through it's paces with various games, as well as travel, using it almost every day and it's been as solid as a rock.

Here's hoping it will continue to be solid for the next 3-4 years at least. :)

Associate
Ive had the laptop a day or so but finding a few issues, most ive been able to fix by looking around the web but one thing i cant seem to solve is the laptop using the integrated gpu when launching games.

Ive tried updating all the drivers using the smart update app. I have tried setting default gpu to high performance in nvidia settings. I only have a few games installed, I think Fifa 19 is using the dgpu, but gta iv seems to be using the integrated.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
Ive had the laptop a day or so but finding a few issues, most ive been able to fix by looking around the web but one thing i cant seem to solve is the laptop using the integrated gpu when launching games.

Ive tried updating all the drivers using the smart update app. I have tried setting default gpu to high performance in nvidia settings. I only have a few games installed, I think Fifa 19 is using the dgpu, but gta iv seems to be using the integrated.

In Nvidia panel can u select the Game in question and set it to max performance i believe its called or overide system settings? Maybe that wil force it to use the GPU. are u playing in window mode?

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Hey folks, been a long time since Ive posted at OCUK. Ive been reading through this thread though as I purchased an Aero 15 X v8 the other day which will be with me tomorrow. First of all id like to say this thread is awesome and it really is great to see reps from Gigabyte so active in here and helping with any issues.

I need to hold my hands up here, I never ordered from OCUK as I had a lot of vouchers to use at a department store and it is the only way I could get away with it (also sold my 9 month old macbook 12 and trying to sell my 4 month old MSI GE73VR) to help fund this new machine.

I have also just ordered a Samsung 970 Evo 2TB to go with it. Im looking for a bit of advice on the best setup here. Would the Samsung be better to use purely for storage or would I be better installing a fresh windows 10 on the Samsung and either use the SSD that comes in the machine as a storage drive or sell it on and add another 1/2tb ssd down the line when required. Also does any of that affect warranty (I know adding a new ssd doesnt) but removing the existing and selling it etc.

Hi @mambo1888 - thanks for choosing Gigabyte AERO15 and passing on the feedback about our forum interaction, we hope it contributed to your purchasing decision.

Nice trade-ins, always nice to read that :)

Regarding Warranty, no its not affected and the machine does have 2 x M.2 bays, so you can install additional without removing the installed 512GB SSD, and upgrade that one as and when required. (The newly installed SSD's wouldn't be covered by warranty obviously, just the original parts supplied)

We would probably recommending doing it that way round and use the new drive as additional storage.

Hope that clarifies, and again thanks for choosing AERO15.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NE Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep

HI again @mambo1888 - Our technically minded rep, @baloney is celebrating the MOON festival in Taiwan, but will be back in position tomorrow - we will ask for his advise on this point.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thought I'd stick my head in here again just to say how excellent this laptop has been for me since January.

Have certainly put it through it's paces with various games, as well as travel, using it almost every day and it's been as solid as a rock.

Here's hoping it will continue to be solid for the next 3-4 years at least. :)

Hi @Curunen - really appreciate you popping in to post that type of comment, and obviously glad to hear that the product is meeting your expectations and needs.

Thanks Again,

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
Hiya,

I'd like to set it up so that when I plug an external mouse in, the touchpad is disabled. However, the ELAN drivers installed by SmartUpdate don't appear to have any option to do this. I've tried removing them and installing some precision drivers which enable the function in native Windows 10 settings, but all this does is disable the touchpad completely.

Is there any way of doing this?

Associate
In Nvidia panel can u select the Game in question and set it to max performance i believe its called or overide system settings? Maybe that wil force it to use the GPU. are u playing in window mode?
Thanks jonney. I think the issue was actually the games themselves. I have installed a few more games and most seem to work as expected but GTA IV and Episodes of Libert City seem to have a problem. I was trying in full screen mode but Ive given up with them now, just fancied a bit of GTA IV nostalgia but I can live without them.

Hi @mambo1888 - thanks for choosing Gigabyte AERO15 and passing on the feedback about our forum interaction, we hope it contributed to your purchasing decision.

Nice trade-ins, always nice to read that :)

Regarding Warranty, no its not affected and the machine does have 2 x M.2 bays, so you can install additional without removing the installed 512GB SSD, and upgrade that one as and when required. (The newly installed SSD's wouldn't be covered by warranty obviously, just the original parts supplied)

We would probably recommending doing it that way round and use the new drive as additional storage.

Hope that clarifies, and again thanks for choosing AERO15.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NE Team

HI again @mambo1888 - Our technically minded rep, @baloney is celebrating the MOON festival in Taiwan, but will be back in position tomorrow - we will ask for his advise on this point.

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Thanks @Atom80, I done as you suggested an installed the 970 evo as a storage drive (getting the back off was quite a nervy experience, she is on tight lol), so I have 2.5tb which should keep me going for a while. So far very impressed with the Aero, especially the size and looks. I was initially a bit dissapointed in performance with ssimple tasks like openin folders or using chrome quite laggy, but after going through the smart update and getting all the drivers updated and changing the setting while on battery up a bit it seems to be running a lot better. Yes reading throuh this thread definetley helped me make my decision :)

Ive had a few issues with games such as GTA IV but i think that is an issue with the game rather than the laptop. PES 2019 was running poorly but agin I think that is the game, I have changed the refresh rate to 60hz and that runs good now. The only other issue is GTA V, after launching it says cpu clock speed is lower than minnimum spec, and while the game seeemed to play ok the menus were very laggy. Not had a lot of time to mess about with it yeto maybe there is an easy solution for that.

Im back offhore now, and having a laptop that can do office, web browsing, netflix etc off the battery for a decent length of time and be able to play gamess to pass the time at night all in the laptop this size and weight is amazing. Looking forward to putting it through its paces over the next few weeks

Associate

for my personal suggestion the performance would be better if the OS's installed into Samsung one. But before doing that DO remember to backup the IMG through Smart USB Backup

Associate

maybe try install the stock driver from NV and launch the game via GeForce Experience

Associate
Hiya,

I'd like to set it up so that when I plug an external mouse in, the touchpad is disabled. However, the ELAN drivers installed by SmartUpdate don't appear to have any option to do this. I've tried removing them and installing some precision drivers which enable the function in native Windows 10 settings, but all this does is disable the touchpad completely.

Is there any way of doing this?
maybe try F9 recovery

AORUS Rep
Vendor Rep
Thanks jonney. I think the issue was actually the games themselves. I have installed a few more games and most seem to work as expected but GTA IV and Episodes of Libert City seem to have a problem. I was trying in full screen mode but Ive given up with them now, just fancied a bit of GTA IV nostalgia but I can live without them.

Thanks @Atom80, I done as you suggested an installed the 970 evo as a storage drive (getting the back off was quite a nervy experience, she is on tight lol), so I have 2.5tb which should keep me going for a while. So far very impressed with the Aero, especially the size and looks. I was initially a bit dissapointed in performance with ssimple tasks like openin folders or using chrome quite laggy, but after going through the smart update and getting all the drivers updated and changing the setting while on battery up a bit it seems to be running a lot better. Yes reading throuh this thread definetley helped me make my decision :)

Ive had a few issues with games such as GTA IV but i think that is an issue with the game rather than the laptop. PES 2019 was running poorly but agin I think that is the game, I have changed the refresh rate to 60hz and that runs good now. The only other issue is GTA V, after launching it says cpu clock speed is lower than minnimum spec, and while the game seeemed to play ok the menus were very laggy. Not had a lot of time to mess about with it yeto maybe there is an easy solution for that.

Im back offhore now, and having a laptop that can do office, web browsing, netflix etc off the battery for a decent length of time and be able to play gamess to pass the time at night all in the laptop this size and weight is amazing. Looking forward to putting it through its paces over the next few weeks

Hi @mambo1888 - thanks for the feedback, glad everything installed and working for you. Hope you work in a nice large office with plenty of people you can showcase your AERO to! (don't get caught watching Netflix at your desk though ;)

Regards,

Gigabyte UK NB Team

Associate
I haven't spoken up for a while, but still really happy with my 15X. I'm currently contracting by day which means carrying the kit into an office, using it all day long for code and communications (Meet, WebEx). Also lugging it back home again for a bit of Shadow of the Tomb Raider in the evening.

Can't say that I _love_ using the built-in web cam, but that was never the point, and I've got a pretty handy external one that works lovely. (Or I can use the dubious angle of the built-in as an excuse to not use a camera at all.)

I had a small case of flea power affecting the mouse pad a couple of months ago, which brought to light that it's not as easy as some laptops to just pop the battery off and discharge the static. But I let the battery drain 50% and it seemed to fix itself from there.

But, other than those minor issues, I'm having zero problems. Which is amazing. I can't remember the last time I had a laptop over 6 months without completely losing a random piece of hardware (often the wifi).

I maintain the screen and keyboard are the things that make this laptop go from good to outstanding.

I'll be installing more memory and SSD when I start getting paid in anger. I'll be back with feedback.

Back
Top Bottom