• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Core 9000 series

Associate
I'm also seriously thinking of going the 9900K route - given that I've had my 3770K since 2012 - maybe this will last another 7 years! Although my system is still going strong with the OC I have.

Associate
I presume there is no more news on an actual release date?

This is looking more and more like a paper launch with each and every passing day, especially with so little news and less than 2 weeks until October (suspected release time)

Associate
Oh, my head hurts now!!
I know it’s an OC forum and not mentioning other huge retailer but £304 for an 8700k must be a ‘bargain’, right?
Not keen on waiting only to find that 8000 prices keep rising and 9000 prices are big to start with.

Could keep waiting but then it’s when does Zen 2 come out etc. Yawn, I only buy every 5 years or so.

Bite bullet now or keep waiting??

Soldato
Oh, my head hurts now!!
I know it’s an OC forum and not mentioning other huge retailer but £304 for an 8700k must be a ‘bargain’, right?
Not keen on waiting only to find that 8000 prices keep rising and 9000 prices are big to start with.

Could keep waiting but then it’s when does Zen 2 come out etc. Yawn, I only buy every 5 years or so.

What about the 2700x? That's what I'm feeling right now.

Associate
What about the 2700x? That's what I'm feeling right now.
Keep thinking about it but with needing costly fast memory than Intel, even with having to buy a separate cooler, they work out about the same.

Thing is, I will be doing serious flight sim with X-Plane 11 which really taxes CPU core speed as well as GPU but also day job IT with a network of VM’s and a bit of coding.
Aargh, sore head!!

Soldato
Whoever does buy one will certainly have a capable cpu for any task for many, many years...just look how long quad cores were relevant

They were only relevant for that long as Intel and AMD didn't push more cores. I'd say even in the next 3-5 years, that 8 cores will become the normal. i.e. 8 cores will be the new quadcores.

God even my phone has an octocore setup...on a phone lol????

Associate
They were only relevant for that long as Intel and AMD didn't push more cores. I'd say even in the next 3-5 years, that 8 cores will become the normal. i.e. 8 cores will be the new quadcores.

God even my phone has an octocore setup...on a phone lol????
Yeah sure, what I'm saying is 8 cores and 16 threads of 5 plus ghz with this IPC will last for a long long time, there's no questions about it...
But yeah exynos 8 cores and mobile 8 cores or whatever have been about for what seems a very long time now but the core speeds and power efficiency targets a different market entirely.

You're right in that 8 core is probably going to become quite normal for a desktop. I'm just saying this i9 will be one to stand the test of time...another 2500k/2600k or whatever.

Soldato
Oh, my head hurts now!!

Problem is that £304 is for an out of stock item that could either be cancelled or stock may never arrive.

Only buy that makes sense to me tm is a second hand 8700k as cpu's are pretty bullet proof it's a safe purchase.

I did this about 3 weeks ago and it's a good step up from my 4770k

Soldato
It'll likely be shipped within a few days.

Best price I've seen for a while (295 a few months a go)

At this stage I dont think it's worth it. Im waiting till Jan.

Problem is that £304 is for an out of stock item that could either be cancelled or stock may never arrive.

Only buy that makes sense to me tm is a second hand 8700k as cpu's are pretty bullet proof it's a safe purchase.

I did this about 3 weeks ago and it's a good step up from my 4770k

Soldato
Huge upgrade, similar position to me. It will be over twice as powerful.
Same as me. Ive been waiting and waiting for the right CPU that will justify the upgrade from an OCed 2600k. I please games at 4k and even then i dont think the 9900K will make a huge difference as you are GPU limited at that res.

Back
Top Bottom