• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Soldato
From earlier in the thread, it appears to be quite simply any overclocked card has an "A" chip (incL FE). Reference cards are "standard" chips.

That makes sense, thanks.

Not usually, but nVidia have developed an automatic OC tool that should find your optimum overclock (takes 20mins apparently). Be nice to know for sure soon if they do contain the superior chips :)

They talked about over locking a lot, and they seem keen to put FE on par with AIBs, so I would imagine they do.

You chaps must be rather excited at this point :D

Soldato
My payment was taken from the place rhyming with tan the day I placed the order! And you’ll likely get yours before me lol

That’s why I hate pre ordering sometimes, especially payment being taken right away! At least this is an indicator of progress :p

I reckon I was fine to mention where I got it from since the FE is only available through them.

Now I play the email waiting game to confirm when it’s shipped.

Soldato
Not usually, but nVidia have developed an automatic OC tool that should find your optimum overclock (takes 20mins apparently). Be nice to know for sure soon if they do contain the superior chips :)
ati used to have this function, never worked that well i found, always had to dial it down a bit due to overclock being too aggressive and crashing

Caporegime
Panos has certainly made me laugh in this thread. He is worried about power consumption and then tells me I am good at maths (which I really am not) and that I know full well that his Vega only uses 6W or summit :D

I refer to this thread and you can see what I and many think about power consumption....
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...t-comes-to-amd-but-not-nvidia-intel.18830948/

Yer, for me, as long as performance is there, I really don't care and my EVGA 1300W G2 PSU will be enough to cope (I hope) :D :D

Associate
That makes sense, thanks.
Sorry, forgot to add the earlier post

https://www.techpowerup.com/247660/...overclocking-forbidden-on-the-cheaper-variant
Think this is certainly worth sharing.

TLDR: NVIDIA has two identifiable IDs for Turing, one classification is A which will likely be a higher ASIC, the other won't. It also denotes what cards are allowed to have a factory overclock or not. In short, look for factory clocks; if they're higher or the same as an FE card then your card is likely -A.

Soldato
Said at the very beginning there was going to be a lot of flipping on heat output.;)

Can't believe he destroyed that cooler, but more disappointed he's on the nda list, now we don't know what's what with the differing chips because they are obviously not allowed to report it as it's under nda(and some said the nda was normal practice coz they signed one at work:o), tbph, whole PC gfx scene is leaving a severely sour taste...

How do you mean what is what? It's pretty self-explanatory as far as I can tell. There are two identifiers for each SKU. One will be kept for the higher tier AIB cards and FE cards, the others for the lesser models.

Soldato
I see from the recent Final Fantasy benchmarks that I'm going to see more than a doubling of performance going from my Titan XM to the 2080 Ti; that'll do me.

Associate
Panos has certainly made me laugh in this thread. He is worried about power consumption and then tells me I am good at maths (which I really am not) and that I know full well that his Vega only uses 6W or summit :D

I refer to this thread and you can see what I and many think about power consumption....
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...t-comes-to-amd-but-not-nvidia-intel.18830948/

Yer, for me, as long as performance is there, I really don't care and my EVGA 1300W G2 PSU will be enough to cope (I hope) :D :D

What exactly are you running to have a 1300w psu in your system exactly? I’ve got an 850w and that should be fine with the XC ultra 2080Ti and an oc 8086k... you do realise that running a psu with excessive wattage in a system that doesn’t need it can also be problematic? Or so I’ve read...

Soldato
It's pretty self-explanatory as far as I can tell.

Which isn't much, could very well be next to nothing but there could be more to it too.

There could be an artificial limit just because they can without any other physical limitations, we don't know, the info is vague.

A while ago we noticed

Probably more we won't ever find out about that we would have previously, but it could spectacularly backfire on them and anyone else who decides to go the same route.

Associate
What exactly are you running to have a 1300w psu in your system exactly? I’ve got an 850w and that should be fine with the XC ultra 2080Ti and an oc 8086k... you do realise that running a psu with excessive wattage in a system that doesn’t need it can also be problematic? Or so I’ve read...

Because why not !? , should be zero problems , the only less desirable trait about a higher wattage PSU than needed is efficiency

Soldato
Which isn't much, could very well be next to nothing but there could be more to it too.

There could be an artificial limit just because they can without any other physical limitations, we don't know, the info is vague.

Probably more we won't ever find out about that we would have previously, but it could spectacularly backfire on them and anyone else who decides to go the same route.

I can't see it being based on anything more telling than ASIC quality.

Associate
Because why not !? , should be zero problems , the only less desirable trait about a higher wattage PSU than needed is efficiency

I just thought for efficiency and I also read stability... and you know the environment;)

I say this because I was going to get a bigger psu, just in case I wanted to go nvlink or sli or whatever they call it now, but read it’s actully bad for the system stability, the PSU and the efficiency :)

Edit - Oh and I’m wanting to keep my electricity bill down after buying a Tesla and charging from home. And yes I did edit in that I have a Tesla to show off! Lol

Soldato

1200W PSU here with overclocked 7900X and 1080Ti and power draw can peak 900W when gaming alone. For X299 refresh and Turing, I fully expect to be making good use of 1KW+.

Also, it's not problematic; more due to efficiency.

Back
Top Bottom