Nikon D5100 upgrade

Associate
Hey guys,

The autofocus on my 18-55mm Lens has stopped working and thought before replacing it I would have a look to see if it’s worth upgrading the camera.

I love the pictures the D5100 takes but something smaller would be nice, I’ve been looking at Mirrorless cameras like the X-T20 but not sure I can justify the price given that the Fuji lenses are much more expensive.

I quite like the look of the Panasonic GX85 and it seems a good price but am just concerned the image quality won’t be as good.

Any recommendations or advice is appreciated. Haven’t really got a budget per se, just looking for similar or better quality perhaps with better portability.

Thanks!

Soldato
I had a D5100 and it gave really excellent results. My only major gripe was the small, dim viewfinder but that's typical of all cameras with a penta-mirror VF.
The GX85 looks a very capable camera but make sure you try before you buy as not everyone gets on with the field-sequential EVF.

Soldato
I wouldnt go buying a new camera because the AF on your lens has stopped working, the D5100 still has excellent image quality even by today's standards so maybe think about just investing in a decent lens.

A few to have a look that would be an upgrade over your existing lens would be:
Nikon 16-85mm VR
Nikon 18-200mm VR
Sigma 17-70mm OS
Tamron 17-50mm VC

Also I don't be worried about going used if you want to save a few quid, shops like MPB and WEX are pretty good.

Associate
OP
Thanks guys. I hear good things about the £150 Nikon Prime 35mm, do you think it would be a good replacement? I’ve also got a 55-200mm.

Associate
Thanks guys. I hear good things about the £150 Nikon Prime 35mm, do you think it would be a good replacement? I’ve also got a 55-200mm.
I went the same route, got rid of the 18-55mm and got the 35mm 1.8.

It's a fantastic lens for the price. I do miss the handiness of the zoom but the quality is far better.

Unless you really need a wider lens, that's the one i'd go for.

Soldato

Brilliant little lens that should be in every Nikon owners kit but I wouldnt say its a replacement for a wide angle zoom, more of a compliment to one for portraits, low light.

Caporegime
Wow that has gone up, swear it was around £100 when I got it. But yes the 35mm is a damn good lens, despite owning a decent Sigma 18-35mm f1.8, I have found myself going back to the 35mm (it's so much lighter :p).

In the same boat as to what camera next (a couple of years for me yet) and after some research, the D750 looks like a worthwhile upgrade into a FF camera.

Caporegime
Indeed. I've always seen the D750 as my way into FF, but keep an eye out for the D810 as well, it's price has also dropped significantly.

Considered the D810 but it's usually a few hundred more than I realistically think I will spend and the D750 seems more of an all rounder for my needs and on a smaller body. You can't go wrong with either :).

Back
Top Bottom