Windows 10

Soldato
As I said, you can, but you may have to compromise. I'm a gamer and I run Linux. I have a Windows partition that I only ever log into every few months. I guess it depends on the games you play. WoW runs flawlessly on Linux, and with the aforementioned Steam Play, a whole bunch of my 'Windows Only' games now also work without me having to do any tinkering. You'd also be surprised how much stuff Linux actually does support. It's not for everyone, but it's a darn site better than Windows is these days (IMHO) even if it isn't as polished.

My job doesn't let me work from home, so I don't have that hurdle and can't comment on it.
Does Lightroom and photoshop work on ubuntu yet?

Man of Honour
Brilliant - my parents just come back from holiday and my mum starts complaining about Windows update out of the blue as they had limited internet connectivity with limited allowance that was shared with other guests at the accommodation and my dad's laptop kept trying to update and they were delaying and delaying it but eventually it just started doing it anyway. They couldn't understand why I was grinning from ear to ear.

Soldato
Cheers .does it stay up to date? Creative cloud I mean .How does wineHq work? What is it?

Wine is a compatibility layer to make Windows programs work on Linux and macOS. Wikipedia entry here and main site here for your reading pleasure. I can't comment on Adobe products as I have no use for any of them, but Wine gets updated regularly to add more support/fix bugs much like any other software. Nothing's perfect however and sometimes an update makes things worse (just like using Windows or any other OS really :))

Soldato
Wine is a compatibility layer to make Windows programs work on Linux and macOS. Wikipedia entry here and main site here for your reading pleasure. I can't comment on Adobe products as I have no use for any of them, but Wine gets updated regularly to add more support/fix bugs much like any other software. Nothing's perfect however and sometimes an update makes things worse (just like using Windows or any other OS really :))
Does windows programs take a hit in performance and stability using Wine?

Soldato
Probably depends on the program. Some games lose some FPS. I do think we're derailing this thread with a few too many Linux related posts. You'd be better off posting in the Linux & Open Source forum where lots of people far more knowledgeable than me can answer. There's also a ton of info out on the rest of the internet for Wine as it's widely used.

Man of Honour
I hate Windows 10 - just updated my dad to a 2600/16GB desktop with a clean OS install and them migrating his programs/files from existing system (which is a complete mess) - all done and latest updates applied inside of 15 minutes - meanwhile I'm supervising the same on a new build of a more powerful Intel system for someone else (except not migrating their existing setup) - 2 hours later still applying updates...

Man of Honour
lol, maybe the intel fixes are skuppering the process ;)

Hah I did wonder but nah it is just the random inconsistencies of Windows 10 :( funny thing was I put it off telling my dad I needed a day clear to deal with any kind of issues that might arise in the process - and then it just booted up (aside from 3 POST attempts starting it for the first time but that is normal) and installed everything really quickly with zero issues :s

Soldato
I sometimes wonder if the issues actually resides with the back and forth to MS servers, almost like a do you have x then you need y response from the server, and if you get on a slow server or one being ddos or oversubbed, then your update takes for ever and a day to complete.
Rather than all being user end, if the issues is actually at the other end.
Probably isn't but i have often had the feeling that the 'searching for updates' takes a million times longer on some occasions, even if it finds nothing.

Soldato
Saw what I consider a great post in respect to Windows 10:

It is a shame this isn't realistically like just choosing a brand of car and we can just walk away and use another OS.

Yeah. This is why MS exploited it's Windows userbase to launch a dumbed down OS for data milking purposes.

Windows should have been kept separate from their dumb Metro crapp OS, but they wanted to force it on windows users just to get bigger market share. I warned about this almost 6 years ago but people used to call me a conspiracy theorist nut.

Problem is most people are dumb they dont use their computers for important things.

Soldato
You can. You just have to decide if you can live without certain specific bits of software if they're not available, or a substitute that may not be quite as good. Not quite as easy for a business though I would imagine.

I had a similar problem as the poster trying to update my mother's PC. It_took_hours! I was not amused.

I'm glad I made the jump away from MS, and it's even better news that Steam are really pushing Steam Play now. I've now got a whole bunch of Windows games I can run on Linux without having to mess around with Wine myself (not that I had much of an issue with that) and I only need one Steam client now.
i would jump on ubuntu but until LR and all its adobe cloud software works natively and i can play all of my back catalogue of steam games plus ones coming out, then im stuck.

And no i wont go back to macOS with that stupid keyboard and double the price of the same hardware spec

Caporegime
Windows will update at 7.10... Restart NOW - OK

Umm clicks X, I didn't see a cancel option.

System reboots, installing windows update, 2 hours later reconfiguring at 15%.

System reboots, returning to back up, failed to install update.

Right that's it, I'm going to disable it AGAIN

Associate
Just reading through this section of the forum I have to say I was so refreshingly relieved on others feedback on this whole Windows 10 chapter. I saw it, I hated it. I read more regarding forced updates, experienced it on a machine I was forced to use and just fell into total and utter despise for it.

I got a new laptop and as I was only give the option of Windows 10, I formatted the thing and installed windows 8.1 on it. For those of you that haven't experienced this, I thought I would share that in order to try to annoy you into buying Windows 10, windows update causes a popup about incompatible hardware to pop up a few times a day. Claiming that the current operating system (WIndows 8.1) isn't compatible with the hard of the laptop so go to MS and upgrade.... etc.etc *sighs*

Associate
Got to upgrade my PC soon so phonecall to Overclockers scheduled for tomorrow so I can ask them my options to NOT have Windows 10 :) Fingers crossed as I don't want to have to format it and reinstall myself again

Soldato
Windows 10 October 2018 Update may be released on October 2

https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-october-2018-update-may-be-released-on-october-2

It seem 1803 update build 17763.1 is RTM and ESD files is now available on Windows Update server and abbodi1406 from MyDigitalLife forum posted products.xml file direct link https://download.microsoft.com/down...5F5-8C7F-E5268DE02E18/products_2018_10_02.xml and few people managed to downloaded the xml file to create products.cab file before Microsoft realised the xml file was live and they disabled it for now until 2 October next week. I tried downloaded the cab file abbodi1406 uploaded but it turned out to be not worked with media creation tool failed with error everytime and I opened the cab file and take a look in products.xml but it was unreadable so I now realised the xml file was corrupted. I spend 1 hour searched internet and finally found a german website deskmodder.de has the same file that contained xml file that is not corrupted.

I downloaded 1809 with mediacreationtool and installed on VMWare went very well and now installed on my desktop PC.

PMWHjpD.jpg

You can download 1809 update from mediacreationtool and install it now a week early before it will go live on 2 October on both media creation tool and Windows Update with my guide below.

1. Download 1809 October Update products.cab: https://www.deskmodder.de/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/productcab-windows-10-1809.zip
2. Download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10
3. Place “MediaCreationTool.exe” and “products.cab” in the same directory
4. From command prompt, run: MediacreationTool.exe /selfhost or PowerShell, run: .\MediacreationTool.exe /selfhost
5. The Media Creation Tool redirected to 1809 October Update links on the Windows Update servers.

Enjoy :)

Back
Top Bottom