*** The Official iOS 12 Thread ***

Soldato
I keep hitting the emoji button now instead of the 123 button as they've changed the location just for the sake of changing the location, I'm sure.
Wait what, I hadn't even noticed that!

EDIT: Oh, they've changed the iPad one to match the iPhone one. That explains why I didn't notice a change!
EDIT 2: I keep seeing conflicting info, so I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just got this on my iPhone 6, 1.85gb download but going to put it off for awhile.

Still using 10.3.1, has anyone else tried it on a 6 without performance issues or battery being drained by it?

Also interested in this, I've left my mum with her 6 Plus on 10.3.1 and am hoping that an iOS12 upgrade and maybe new battery will keep her going for another year or so.

I keep hitting the emoji button now instead of the 123 button as they've changed the location just for the sake of changing the location, I'm sure.

No! It's sooo much better, even if it will take a bit of getting used to - at least on the X - I'm not sure what phone you're on.

I actually lodged a complain with apple about this a while ago, if it's the change I think it is. I can't even remember exactly what the issue was as I don't have an old phone for reference now that I'm on iOS12, but it was something to do with the position of the button actually moving when you were toggling between emoji and numbers or vice versa. It was so stupid. So you couldn't tap in the same place to toggle through everything. I think they must have addressed that. Or at least in the case of the X they've moved the emoji button into the massive dead space below the keyboard along with the mic button. Not sure what they did on the old phones.

Soldato
Edit - just saw LastPass also works. I use an iPhone for work and have to admit, the way password auto fill works on iPhone is so much better than Android. Android will sometimes not bother even prompting to auto fill and I have to them pull down the notification shade and click on LastPass.

What are the chances Google Maps though CarPlay will be able to be controlled through Siri voice control some time in the future? Apparently using Siri to dictate a navigation request will still fire up Apple Maps.

Really wanting to move away from Android after 8 years, but the only thing stopping me is Google Assistant in the car. Apart from that, I'm fed up of the constant compromise I have to make with Android. Want great hardware? Choose anything but Pixel but be prepared to wait for updates. Want updates? Go Pixel, pay flagship prices but put up with poor design and component choices.

Last edited:
Soldato
I tried Google Maps for Apple CarPlay on my 6S this morning. I've been using Google Maps via Android Auto for the past almost 2 years, and I'm a little disappointed that Google Maps looks very similar to Apple Maps.

The map is shifted to the left unlike Android Auto where it's centered. I'll keep using it for the rest of the week and see if I can adapt to the change. I will say though that CarPlay on my 6S is so much faster than Android Auto on my Pixel 2. Apple certainly know how to streamline their software.

Soldato
Don't think I'm going to bother with 12 on my phone. Performance doesn't seem to be worth it going by the link posted earlier and just full of features I will never use and taking up what little space I have left.

Phone is only used for messages, what's app and calls anyway

Back
Top Bottom