Dump SkyTV and get NowTV?

Soldato
sounds a good deal .. where did you find Fibre with Ent+movies combined ? all i can see on hotuk is
Fab Fibre Broadband (Up to 40 Mbps) & Line Rental for £20 a month (£240 a year) @ NowTV

[ ... you can typically do nowtv Ent-only @£3p/m with online purchase of vouchers but all in £27's good. ]

It was two seperate deals I saw on hotukdeals, 1-2 months ago

Black friday is always good for nowtv though, so that deal will be back on again

Associate
OP
One thing I did spot was a season pass for F1 (+sport) which was £155 for the whole 9 month season. It's obviously expired now.

Still without being able to record it, it's a bit of let down for me.

At the moment, C4 is looking like the best option *** no need to be suggesting piracy ***

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
It was two seperate deals I saw on hotukdeals, 1-2 months ago
yes - I now see hotuk had a £38p/yr Ent option for existing customers expired yesterday,
that explains it - had failed to confirm my nowtv keyword alert subscription

I did spot was a season pass for F1 (+sport) which was £155 for the whole 9 month season
I don't know whether watching a fast action sport on limited ~4Mb/s nowtv bandwidth is particularly problematic ... need to test that out on the Channel 4 app; eurosport streaming for watching the cycling works fine

Caporegime
Pricing doesn't make sense either. Now TV monthly pass is £34 which is more than the cost of my Sky TV + Sport package. I'm not tied into a contract either.

now tv - no recording and is 720p. plus if you order sports package all you get is sports package nothing else

sky tv - recording, 4K, 300+ channels, box sets, no delay, no reliance on good broadband connection

you aren't comparing like for like here.

Soldato
Now TV used to give sizable discounts when you cancelled on entertainment and cinema. After a couple of click throughs it would give you a final offer to stay. Normally worked out at £10-£12 for both on circa 3-4 month tie in.

However last time I did this after a month of full price no offers came up. Not sure if I was unlucky or they have changed policies but I had up until that point benefited from it for a couple of years.

Soldato
does NowTV have live domestic channels ie bbc, itv, C4 or is it just catch up

It has the key sky entertainment channels (sky one, atlantic etc) and cinema in live broadcast as well as the film and TV series box sets all in the library. Once a show has started broadcasting you can watch from the library from the beginning or as shown. Our Samsung TVs have the now TV app available so no box/stick needed but our Panasonics don't so I use a box or PS4.

If you get the smart box variant and plug your aerial in you can get domestic terrestrial digital channels inc HD ones plus pause and rewind it. In my experience though my TVs play the terrestrial channels better but that may just be me.

Soldato
does NowTV have live domestic channels ie bbc, itv, C4 or is it just catch up
the nowtv boxes have the bbc/itv/all4 catch-up+live apps.

Normally worked out at £10-£12 for both on circa 3-4 month tie in.
like i said .. the hotuk Ent deal until yesterday was £38 PER YEAR

I have never found Sky's choice of films good (they used to have a chart showing how many of the top 100 recent boxe offices were available - it was derisory) so have only joined movies occassionaly .. the 4K is not yet HDR too, the nowtv 720p looks fine, as does the iplayer also only 720p.

Soldato
now tv - no recording and is 720p. plus if you order sports package all you get is sports package nothing else

sky tv - recording, 4K, 300+ channels, box sets, no delay, no reliance on good broadband connection

you aren't comparing like for like here.

That's what I'm saying, my current sky package is cheaper than the NOW TV sub but with more features and I'm also not tied into a contract. Now TV monthly sub would make more sense if it was £20 not £34.

Soldato
Now TV do have a 6 month combined entertainment and cinema pass for £50.94 for new customers only and one off payment.

Given my old passes are expired, I have signed up as a new customer with new email address. Not something I normally do but on this occasion it's a quick win

£8.49 for both cinema and entertainment is as good an offer I have found.

Soldato
current nowtv&sky sports deals maybe trying to lock people in given amazon are doing some premier matches (this ?) december.
amazon tried to do some live tennis recently, they just said on r4 lunchtime., but apparently very poor camera work,

The sky ability to record is not really beneficial if you have nowtv on demand;
however, sound quality on nowtv is poor, as we commented before, like 128Kb/s stereo poor.

Associate
I'm tempted to chuck sky. We barely watch any of the channels. Literally the main sky channels that are on most of the time is comedy central and sky Atlantic, sometimes sky one. But these are all covered with the now tv entertainment.

The other half can choose now tv from her Vodafone contract. So we'd get that for free, so really we'd only be paying for the movies. 720p for now, but 1080p either end of this year or next year. Only sports I watch is nfl, and I buy gamepass for that. Think I'm currently paying around £73 for entertainment, movies and one sports channel. So £73 a month down to £10, seems like a winner?

Soldato
We barely watch any of the channels.

This is why we got rid. If you watch Sky and it gives you value for money fine but we would have been paying £78 and that was with offers at the time of cancellation. Granted it is now 18 months for £40. Thats £720 (plus £199 for the box and £60 for the engineer visit!) and I will probably spend a 1/3 of that on my current TV viewing.

I've just got 4 months entertainment for £3.99, ready for TWD etc. We buy the odd day/week pass for the odd match we watch. We can have it for free on upto 4 devices so we've got a Nowtv box in the dining room mainly for the kids, a smart NowTV box in the living room and I can watch it on my PC. For free. You have to remember as well the comparison is when you get rid of Sky you actually use NowTV with something else to get the channels you want. Like I said we have BT TV and also I watch a lot of Netflix.

I discussed getting Sky again for the Championship red button matches but after evaluating it my missus summed it up saying - we dont need Sky and I dont miss it.

Associate
OP
When I signed up to Sky they gave me a box.

When they phoned me to discuss selling me insurance for it, I asked "Is it not your box?" They said no and I would be responsible for replacing it if it failed.

I said, "**** off! If it fails and you want me as a subscriber then you will provide me with the equipment needed to access your service."

Caporegime
When I signed up to Sky they gave me a box.

When they phoned me to discuss selling me insurance for it, I asked "Is it not your box?" They said no and I would be responsible for replacing it if it failed.

I said, "**** off! If it fails and you want me as a subscriber then you will provide me with the equipment needed to access your service."

Most people are morons and can't think for themselves.

The old boxes were yours therefore it was an easy sale. However you could buy second hand boxes off gumtree for £20 so you would have to be an idiot to pay £10 a month to insure something you can buy for £20. Now you are merely renting the boxes from them.

You are correct if the new box fails they should replace it. In fact every time a new box is revealed it would be funny if yours was to magically break.

Back
Top Bottom