Protecting garden shed?

Man of Honour
We did paint the inside of our shed that we've just built. That's mainly because it's in a pretty dark location and we used Cuprinol Shades wood paint in white just to make it a bit brighter in there. It'll be better once the power is run and there's some lighting. Took a few coats, but it's hugely better.

Outside, Sadolin for us. Cost quite a lot, but should last. Treated the underside and the back panel of the shed before we assembled it as we wouldn't have access afterwards.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, saves me bothering with the inside, although I might still do it if I'm not completely bored after doing the outside. As far as rising damp, hmm yeah good point. The shed was pretreated so there might be some protection but other than that, it was built on top of a flat concrete paved base so at least there's no direct contact with soil.

Haven't had a chance to use the glue or Barrettine yet and now it's ******* it down, so hopefully some dry weather next week.

When we provide buildings to our customers, we recommend that even though the buildings are pre-treated that our customers treat their building with a wood preservative inside and out. Even better in fact if it is done before assembling. This pre-treatment is only a dip treatment and will not last forever. I know that some companies fail to specify this to the customer or in their instructions when selling their buildings.

Soldato
OP
Hey guys, I put the wood glue on the cracks today and was a bit concerned that there was lots of white excess glue on there, it's impossible to wipe away.
20181001_163610.jpg

Anyway I looked sometime later and noticed the white had fortunately disappeared. So it looks like this now.

20181001_173909.jpg

Can still see the cracks but running my hand over it I can feel the glaze of the glue as though it's all been sealed, so I'm guessing I've done it right?

Soldato
OP
yeah thats looks fine, should fill up nicely with some stain now
Its waterproof anyway, thats why you us ethe exterior PVA :)

Now get it treated ;)

Cheers MKW. :) I suppose if I was super fussy I would buy a pot of wood filler to make the cracks disappear but it's not that important because as you say, it's waterproofed now. Yep, going to stain it. :)

To be honest your better just getting it treated this year now and see how it goes

Its easy yo get carried away with these things, and unless you put massive effort in they all get damage eventually.

The PVA will probably resist the stain a bit, but that looks way better, that wood you had was very weak as its the stuff that is almost pure sap

Soldato
OP
I finally got around to staining the shed today. Well, I did a coat of the back panel and the front panel and doors but then the light went. I think my next chance of a dry day is Tuesday when I'll do both side panels.

I first had to do a lot of clearance around the shed, cutting overgrowing branches, clearing a shedload (pun intended) of leaves and other stuff and sweeping away so that I could do the staining without anything getting in the way. I really enjoyed it.

Used my goggles and glad I did as they're covered in brown droplets; this stuff does get all over you however careful you are. I did have a moment where I didn't wear them and it got in my eyes and stung a bit.

You're right MKW, the PVA has resisted the stain, or at least, it's not going the same colour as the rest of the doors, but neither are the panels. Doesn't seem like I'll get the doors to match the rest.

There's still a fair bit of stain left in the can, though I'm not confident there's quite enough for a complete second coat. We'll see. Looking better now. though. :)

20181013-180805.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Osmo oil is fantastic and would probably last forever - but also probably cost more than the shed did!
I prefer oils rather than coatings, even cheap Teak oil brings out the colour of the wood, and just needs wiped on with a cloth once a year - takes about an hour, costs about £20 for that size of shed.

Looks good.
The different colours are due to different woods basically.
I would recoat the front personally. And maybe the very bottoms around the sides, where it could get splashed, depending how much you have left

If the PVA resisted the treatment, its certainly going to keep water out, so its job done. There is no way your going to blend in that piece of wood. Wood filler etc resist stain as well pretty much.
It was a bit naughty that they left that sap wood there in a door. On a panel fine but the door, grrrr.

I did warn you about getting it in your eyes ;)

Has it rained on it yet?

Fences next ;)

Soldato
OP
Yep, you did warn me. I was getting warm from working, they got misted up and I couldn't see much of what I was doing. So I lifted them up and continued painting and then got some in my eyes. Never again though :p

Yep, been raining hard since yesterday but my local forecast is dry and sunny for the rest of the week. I'm not sure how dry the shed will be tomorrow in order to continue or maybe I should leave it till Wednesday.

When I stained, I made sure to get into nooks and crannies, i.e, all edges of doors and edges of panels meeting the doors, and the recessed wood along the very bottom between shed and concrete base. I definitely intend to recoat the front, it's only had one coat so far. Same with the back. And both sides still need two coats, so that should all be finished by Wednesday or Thursday. With the weather changing it's all very 11th hour, I should have got this done weeks ago!

Hah, well, fences, nah, maybe next year. :D

Back
Top Bottom