Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Soldato
Turns out getting a refund for the app is not easy. I emailed Formula 1, they said I had to request it via iTunes. However I couldn't do it, I had to call Apple support, they said they are unable to refund after 60 days, I spoke to a supervisor who has put the request in but there's still no guarantee they will refund it.

Man of Honour
Concept 1 is an A1GP car isn't it?
Concept 2... taking design clues from historic F1 cars. Ok, but not great. Also the one with the lowest quality renders.
Concept 3 is too out there. That's probably there because they were told to come up with 3 concepts.

Most likely, 1 or 2 will be pushed for as it's closer to what we currently have. They both have lower levels of aero on them, so hopefully ground effect is coming back... maybe...

Also, how long have these concepts been around? Concept 1 and 3 both have the old F1 logo on them.

Official F1 article

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't mind the concepts. Don't particularly like them either, but F1 should evolve. They still largely look like F1 cars, unlike the Red Bull TheStigGT999 suggested (which I wouldn't want).

One thing they should add is an enforced shortening on the cars. The widened cars barely look any wider than before as the Mercedes and Ferrari are now the length of buses for aerodynamic purposes, and it minimises half of the impact of the wider cars. A Formula 1 car should not be 5 metres long.

"Unfortunately, we couldn't offer Pascal a competitive drive for next year."

That does sound like they have hopes for Ocon finding a seat still at least (Williams).

Sadly Wehrlein failed to live up to expectations. He wasn't bad, but Leclerc up against Ericsson (who isn't bad to be fair) has shown up the more experienced Wehrlein against the same opponent; he isn't up to the standard Mercedes want for their works team.

Caporegime
Sadly Wehrlein failed to live up to expectations. He wasn't bad, but Leclerc up against Ericsson (who isn't bad to be fair) has shown up the more experienced Wehrlein against the same opponent; he isn't up to the standard Mercedes want for their works team.

I'm not sure I understand, he bested Haryanto and matched Ocon at Manor, and beat Ericsson in every single race at Sauber. I'm not sure what more he could have done. For me, he stands as a driver who was unlucky to land in F1 when there wasn't a clear space for him rather than a driver who was pushed out by better. I still think Mercedes should have given him the seat they lent Bottas instead.

Soldato
I'm not sure I understand, he bested Haryanto and matched Ocon at Manor, and beat Ericsson in every single race at Sauber. I'm not sure what more he could have done. For me, he stands as a driver who was unlucky to land in F1 when there wasn't a clear space for him rather than a driver who was pushed out by better. I still think Mercedes should have given him the seat they lent Bottas instead.
Hayanto is hardly a good yardstick, someone who averaged 13th across his full-time GP2 career.

Ocon only raced from Spa so it's a bit difficult to compare him side-by-side to a driver who had been in the car all season.

I just mean compared to Ericsson Wehrlein looked a bit mediocre compared to how exciting Leclerc has looked. That might be down to other factors of course, but Wehrlein just didn't look great compared to what isn't classed as one of the up-and-coming driver, while Leclerc does.

Wehrlein out-qualified Ericsson 11 to 7 (average Q1 difference 0.050 seconds in favour of Wehrlein)
Leclerc has so far out-qualified Ericsson 11 to 3 (average Q1 difference 0.468 seconds in favour of Leclerc)

Of course there's more to it than that, as you posted racing stats for example, but to me it suggests that Wehrlein simply doesn't have the pace of Leclerc, while Mercedes will be hoping Ocon is challenging Leclerc in the future.

The way things are going this silly season Wehrlein could end up in a Toro Rosso and reignite his career, and hopefully he does; he's clearly got ability, but as of yet he hasn't stood out like a driver capable of potentially replacing Hamilton, which was the aim.

Caporegime
<assorted good points snipped>

Leclerc has impressed this season in a way that Wehrlein didn't in 2017, but that to a good extent is because this year's Sauber is a considerably better car. Dragging that 2017 turd of a car into the points was a real achievement. This year Sauber have a car that is able to fight with the midfield on its day which let's Leclerc shine.

I think Leclerc is probably a better driver, but I don't think Wehrlein got a particularly fair crack of the whip so it's hard to be sure and I don't think he deserves to be dismissed in the manner you have.

Soldato
That is an abhorrent move. Football is already proliferated with gambling companies, and children are exposed to it constantly. F1 already booted out tobacco, but seems unable to leave all vices alone so now it goes into bed with gambling.

Very, very poor decision.

Team orders will make this 'interesting'.

Last edited:
Soldato
Terrible idea that is fortunately likely to have a limited lifespan. I really can't see it working.

The actual races are too predictable unless they really do start adding sprinklers.

The "betting" could well be who crashes first, who pits first, who gets FTD.

However, I can't see a real betting person getting much of a thrill from placing any of those bets. Plus the culture of placing bets doesn't really exist in motorsport as it does with football or horse racing.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom