Pimax 8k is live

Soldato
A tricky nut indeed... I can't help but think it would result in your peripheral looking blurry.
I know that's kind of the point and that it's meant to kind of mirror the way our own vision works, but I also just can't see it working fast enough to keep up with our rapid eye movements even if it did manage to avoid a having noticeably blurry area outside of the 'sweet spot'.

Does that make sense?

Anyway, much brighter minds than mine are working on it, so good luck to them.

Soldato
I'm just not impressed with how it looks, think you might be right. I'm not doubting the immersion but visuals look so ropey to me. Looks grainy and pixalated and I know I'll never be satisfied with it in its current state.

Even this wont be good enough for you then bud, you're not going to get the flawless visuals you (and we) want for a while.

For me the pixelation is just something I accept to have immersion, I knew that going into it but everyones expectations are different.

You need to get hold of this and try it first tbh, only way you're going to know if youre happy with it.

Soldato
Even this wont be good enough for you then bud, you're not going to get the flawless visuals you (and we) want for a while.

For me the pixelation is just something I accept to have immersion, I knew that going into it but everyones expectations are different.

You need to get hold of this and try it first tbh, only way you're going to know if youre happy with it.

Where can you try one without buying though? that's the difficult part.

Associate
Abother Vive owner here and the 5k+ sounds like a clear winner for me. Minimal cost upgrade for the headset only.

It does mean having to ditch my beloved wireless though and go back to tethered but I'll learn to cope with that especially if I'm getting those upgraded visuals and FOV.

Now to just wait for the full item to go on sale as I didn't trust them enough to kickstart fund them.. I'm hoping people who did back and switch to the 5K+ don't want to keep them and sell them on.

Soldato
Where can you try one without buying though? that's the difficult part.

you know what Tony, life is too short. Buy the 5K from Pimax when it's available. Sell it on when the next headset comes along.

I never really liked car games until I got VR. Even played a few times on Triple Screen setups, but, they didn't really do anything for me. But, the first time trying Dirt Rally on my Rift, I was like wow!! before getting violently sick :p Project Cars is much easier on the stomach. Back to the point. The immersion that VR brings to racing car games is awesome. It's a whole new dimension to the game that Flat Screens just can't match.

If you just stop focusing on the resolution and just enjoy the immersion I think you will find that VR is brilliant. And it's amazing how quick you adapt. The resolution bothered me for a while when I first got the Rift, but, now I don't even notice for the most part.

Soldato
@melmac Yep I know. I really need to try a new set somehow, I'd rather get VR than triples that's a no brainer. But I know how OCD and anal I am with eye candy, I can't help that, I'm big on visual quality.

Maybe someone here that gets a Pimax would be good enough to invite me for a playtest ;)

Associate
@melmac But I know how OCD and anal I am with eye candy, I can't help that, I'm big on visual quality.

Yeah, so much this. Having the right IPD and even making sure the headset is on correctly makes such a big difference.

Even the correct IPD adjustment and correct placement won't reach OCD and anal levels of eye candy visuals. Yes they can make a big difference but if someone is used to and is partial to 4k gaming, even the best tuned Rift will look rough in comparison. It's still bloody awesome though.

Soldato
I was thinking more in terms of in game settings and SS etc, but yeah, that stuff too :)

Then again, Tony is very partial to the candy, so...

I understood that you were talking about SS and stuff, but, if you wear the headset incorrectly and have the wrong IPD, especially if you have it set lower, then you will never find the sweet spot, it will always look terrible. And I sometimes think that's what happens when people do quick demos. They are using the headset and think it's an awful blurry mess not realising that with a few simple adjustments it would look way better.

Soldato
Yeah, totally. It's definitely a common issue.
Speaking of the sweet spot, is it just me that finds that pretty much all of the display is the sweet spot? I only notice it being a slightly off at the extreme edges if I actually look for it.

And while I'm here, I'm also baffled by people that say they have trouble seeing upcoming corners in racing sims due to pixelation etc. They must be using some bloody awful settings.
I never get any fogging either. Must be down to nose shape or something. I dunno.

Soldato
@melmac Yep I know. I really need to try a new set somehow, I'd rather get VR than triples that's a no brainer. But I know how OCD and anal I am with eye candy, I can't help that, I'm big on visual quality.

Maybe someone here that gets a Pimax would be good enough to invite me for a playtest ;)

Big performance improvement on the latest pimax software.
Pcars 2 is now 80+ fps on 2xSS with medium settings on a 1080ti.

Associate
I'm totally torn now, if they improved that much in one software update to the 8K it makes it an attractive proposition, the 5K+ deal isn't that only a $100 voucher to spend on accessories if you go for it...I only want it for racing, so I don't even need a lighthouse according to sweviver.

Decisions decisions....I have time, my backer number is in the 2000's ...

Soldato
Big performance improvement on the latest pimax software.
Pcars 2 is now 80+ fps on 2xSS with medium settings on a 1080ti.

I was watching Sweviver's vid last night and couldn't help but think what weird settings he was using.
Lowering the SS and bumping up the graphics would've probably made it much better looking and gained more FPS.

Perhaps it was just to make a point of using max SS or something... I guess it at least showed that it's possible to get it looking good and running well either way.

Back
Top Bottom