[PIC_THREAD] Landscapes, Architecture, Seascapes

Caporegime
Thanks Doodah!

Each time I go I am trying to practice on composition more than anything now. Trying to find a balance in the photos, ensure the foreground content is good etc.

May have killed my tripod though...

Anyone know how to remove sand from a tripod? asking for a friend....

Soldato
@Phate

Once they start looking like that, with very minor composition changes depending on your preference, I find on simple foreground like your last set it's the small details that make all the difference. For instance, on the second shot, you've got a cluster of 3 rocks in the sand but then a very awkward small 4th black one. It would look better shopped out to leave 3.

The last one isn't as good as the rock in the foreground is too large for the frame and the rocks behind lead the eye off the edge of the frame as opposed to the centre, off centre or one third in either way etc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
@Phate

Once they start looking like that, with very minor composition changes depending on your preference, I find on simple foreground like your last set it's the small details that make all the difference. For instance, on the second shot, you've got a cluster of 3 rocks in the sand but then a very awkward small 4th black one. It would look better shopped out to leave 3.

The last one isn't as good as the rock in the foreground is too large for the frame and the rocks behind lead the eye off the edge of the frame as opposed to the centre, off centre or one third in either way etc.

Thanks Drollic :) - indeed at this stage its it really is the tiniest details that make the biggest changes. Will bare your thoughts in mind and will try some shopping over the weekend.

Soldato
OK, last one :p

JLE11045.jpg

Is it just long exposure + filter to make water into mist ?

Soldato
43791807035_7633d4457d_k.jpg

Noob question: took a few photos here and wasn't happy with most of them. They looked fine on the camera at the time but once I got them on the big screen at home I realised they were a bit crap. So how do you guys know if you've taken a good photo at the time? Just experience knowing what settings to use for a particular shot or can you see it on the camera screen when things are not right?

Soldato
Noob question: took a few photos here and wasn't happy with most of them. They looked fine on the camera at the time but once I got them on the big screen at home I realised they were a bit crap. So how do you guys know if you've taken a good photo at the time? Just experience knowing what settings to use for a particular shot or can you see it on the camera screen when things are not right?

Histogram helps if your camera has one

Caporegime
noob question: took a few photos here and wasn't happy with most of them. They looked fine on the camera at the time but once I got them on the big screen at home I realised they were a bit crap. So how do you guys know if you've taken a good photo at the time? Just experience knowing what settings to use for a particular shot or can you see it on the camera screen when things are not right?

Can you tell us specifically what you were not happy about specifically?

Under exposed? Over exposed? Composition?

Maybe post a few and tell us what you don't like and we can try to help? :)

Which camera btw?

Soldato
@touch

You've exposed the sky correctly and not the foreground. The camera can't do both like your eyes can due to more limited dynamic range. You either need to take another photo like you have exposing the foreground and blend the two (tripod required) or you need to try and expose both and shoot in raw so you can lower the highlights and raise the shadows. Make sure your metering mode is taking into account the whole frame.

Soldato
@touch I would be more than happy for a photography companion! I bet you know some cracking places off the beaten track for some super shots as well.
Are you dabbling a bit now with a camera? Give me a shout on whatsapp or FB or something :)

Back
Top Bottom