Help please

Associate
Hey guys,

Unfortunately I ended up ordering a power supply to replace mine and picked up an Evga 1300w PSU from a seller. Before I changed the PSU I had no issues. Since changing today I am now getting 5 short beeps on each boot. Other than that the pc seems to work fine. Should I return the unit as faulty? I never had this issue with my Corsair PSU. I have tried setting bios as default and this never helped.

Lee.

Associate
OP
So a few updates with this. I tried going back to my old power supply and same issue. Here is what else I have troubleshooted.
- I stripped the computer and rebuilt ensuing all cables and connectors are correctly installed.
- Tried each gpu on its own, no fix
- Tried all 8 sticks of ram on there own, no fix.
- Tried removing the battery and resetting the cmos, no fix.
- Tried with a single ssd and all, no fix.

I am really stumped here. 5 beeps on gigabyte seems to point to the clock speed, but even on default its doing it and the beeping is damn loud. The motherboard has the code AA which I believe means its working correctly and when booted up it seems fine. Should I ignore this annoying beeping? I just don't understand what has started this off, before I replaced the PSU there was never 5 beeps so this is a little strange.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just updated to latest bios and still the same, I am thinking I may need to change the motherboard...even though it's working fine? Could it be a motherboard short?

Associate
OP
What about replacing battery?
(or did you check its voltage?)

I have not tried replacing the battery no, but before I changed the PSU this wasn't happening. Even on default voltage it's doing it. I am lost as what is causing this.

@ PastyMuncher, I am using only the cables that came with the PSU and yes it was unopened. I do have a 10 year warranty, but the issue hasn't been caused by the power supply and is happening on my old one now too. I say issue, but the pc is fine apart from the beeps on boot, but it doesn't do it when you restart.

Associate
OP
Gigabyte Gaming 7 x99, think its this or very similar. https://www.gigabyte.com/de/Motherboard/GA-X99-Gaming-7-WIFI-rev-10#ov .Why would changing the PSU suddenly bring a cpu error? Checked the chip last night and the pins and looks normal. Would be gutted if I had to replace my CPU, it's the 5960x. Surely if the CPU or Motherboard really had issues, I would get bluescreens? It just seems too much of a coincidence that it only started after changing the psu, obiviously I know the psu is fine now but it is still odd.

Associate
OP
So just home from work, I have tried memtest through today and left it running, it passed. I have reseated the cpu and checked pins again and it looks fine.

Associate
OP
Mystery solved, just borrowed a magnyfier off my friend and I have some bent pins on one side of the board, about 10. God knows what has caused that but a new board will be ordered :(
So I need a new motherboard because there are few too many pins and its a mess. I don't want to spend a fortune though, just spend £1550 on 2 cards and then an sli bridge and PSU!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom