** The Official WatchOS 5 thread **

Commissario
You can get it now, download the profile and follow the instructions linked on this page to get the GM.

It's a very slow install but you can speed it up by following these instructions. It took about forty five minutes on mine to install.

I'm sure there are lots of changes but the two that have jumped out at me straight away are the new Podcasts app and WebKit - html emails are now displayed correctly.

The new face with the multiple complications doesn't appear to be there on my Series 3 but that's not too surprising.

Commissario
OP
Just been for a walk and used my watch for a couple of podcasts - It worked flawlessly. What would really be great now for me would be Audible to have an Apple Watch app and then I'd be a very happy bunny.

Commissario
OP
Auto workout detection is nice too, I walk to and from work every day and I no longer need to remember to start a workout or stop it.
It didn't start automatically for me but when I stopped to eat my sarnie outside the Co-Op, it popped up and gave me the option to stop/pause my walk.

Also, WatchOS 5 now pings a notification when you use Apple Pay on the watch - It didn't do that before.

Soldato
I usually get prompted about 10-15 minutes after I’ve set off and asked if I’m working out, it then retroactively credits me with what I’ve done previously, so the timer will be running from 13 minutes with full credit for the walking I’ve done up to that point, it’s really clever.

Commissario
OP
I don't know if it's my imagination but the text on the workout screen looks sharper, crisper, clear than before.

0qZmrGc.png

Yes, I know my average is slow, this includes going in a few shops, buying an ice cream, watching the world go by, etc etc.

Soldato
Looking forward to this today - the big deal for me is - hiking activity - I do this a lot and previously I just had to use the walk exercise to register it - thankfully it will take into account elevation now!

Commissario
OP
And it’s here!

/edit - Except I can't see how to do it. I don't see an option to install Audible on the Watch.

/edit 2 - Once I'd restarted both the watch and the phone, the app was available for me to install, it's syncing some books now. Slowly!

/edit 3 - To speed up transfer, switch off Bluetooth on the phone once you've started the sync. It forces it to use WiFi which is quicker.

Commissario
OP
Well it works. Sort of. I went for a walk this morning with a new audiobook on my watch.

When I got back and opened Audible on my iPhone, it hadn't synced with the watch and my place wasn't saved. Worse, it then synced and the last played point on the watch was lost, it went back to the beginning.

That's not good. Hopefully this is something they can fix as it needs to synchronise across devices otherwise it's pretty useless.

Back
Top Bottom