Poll: Singapore Grand Prix 2018, Singapore - Race 15/21

Rate the 2018 Singapore Grand Prix out of ten

Results are only viewable after voting.
Soldato
Sirotkin had the inside line to the next corner so, IMO, Perez was trying to force him to the inside to compromise that line somewhat but Sirotkin didn't budge and there was contact. It wasn't a deliberate side-swipe.

Pretty sure that if you drive into someone knowing it will cause an accident, but hope you can bully the other driver into moving so as to avoid that accident, then that's deliberate. It's the same as the Ocon accident - drive into someone in the hopes they move out of the way or back out, and Perez gains an advantage.

Caporegime
Sirotkin had the inside line to the next corner so, IMO, Perez was trying to force him to the inside to compromise that line somewhat but Sirotkin didn't budge and there was contact. It wasn't a deliberate side-swipe.

Perez wasn't trying to force him across, he moves much too quickly to do that, and - in any case - should have known it wouldn't work. The driver on the inside can always force the driver on the outside to compromise their line. I think he simply failed to account for Sirotkin still being there, which is an astonishing lack of awareness.

Soldato
I don't believe it was deliberate from Perez in the Sorotkin incident, just inept as regards positional awareness. That he has hit two cars that were alongside in one race suggests there's an issue with peripheral visibility out of the modern F1 cars fitted with the Halo.

Soldato
That he has hit two cars that were alongside in one race suggests there's an issue with peripheral visibility out of the modern F1 cars fitted with the Halo.

You what? There is no parts of the halo that come close to the area where Ocon and Sorotkin's cars were.

Also the drivers say it makes no difference.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/134549/ricciardo-tested-start-visibility-with-halo

In the first incident he intended to give Ocon a 'little kiss', it just had unintended consequences, the second was just blatant. Both were firmly the fault of Perez and he could have easily avoided both.

Caporegime
First half of race was interesting. Waiting for tyres to die and incidents.
Second half was so dull.

Ferrari make more and more bad calls. Not always obviously bad. But still. I think they pitted too early. Lewis clearly wasn't pushing those tyres at that point. Unless ferrari themselves were marginal. But that silly attempt in q2(?) on the ultra soft was just silly. Merc almost couldn't do it in q1.

Perez is an idiot. Shame ocon isn't in going forward. To that point, I bet merc regret not being able to get ocon in next year. Especially with having a potentially better all round line up. Bottas hasn' pperformed. He's done his job, but he isn't great. If ferrari have a better car next year. Leclerc could make the difference.

Useful points for Renault. Nice to see haas doing really badly. Grosjean somehow went from best of the rest to way out of the points but the hulk got 10th.

I'm becoming less optimistic about Riccardo signing for next year. I think hulk will beat him

Also think Vettel's only hope is 2 Hamilton DNFs.
That is possible. But yes. I think he needs 2.

Catch up is the best way to watch the races. Can just skip through 10 min chunks

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

As it stands, there is a 40pt gap.

Assuming Vettel wins every race and Ham comes 2nd, it would take 6 races to overturn the gap. Crazy really :eek:

Soldato
Plus there are a couple of tracks remaining - USA and Japan - that Hamilton seems to always go well at and some that Vettel has some difficult memories of.

It is looking more and more likely that while this could have been remembered for Hamilton's greatest ever WDC, it may be overshadowed (somewhat unfairly so) for the underperformance of Ferrari and Vettel that will help him to it.

I'd love to see what Hamilton could do in this year's Ferrari. All the evidence points to him being even faster in it.

Soldato
Simple but good. If only their main product was available in the UK.

I'm still royally ****** off that they've signed a contract to allow gambling to be advertised to minors. The sport shouldn't need that and I can't understand why more aren't calling them out on it. In 20 years time, it'll be viewed no differently than advertising cigarettes to kids.

Man of Honour
Agreed, the gambling addition is poor. I can just see it now - the national anthem playing with the 'pit kids' in front of the drivers, surrounded by gambling advertisements. It just adds a seedy element to the sport.

Back
Top Bottom