BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I always wonder why low mileage late model BMW's are not being sold through the dealer network.

Presumably a trade-in for a desired car in the same indy dealership?

On another note, I had finally bought the BMW F10 530d LCI and after having had it for just over a week, I honestly can't find anything I dislike about it (with the exception of some minor bodywork issues).

I'm still amazed by the difference in quality between F10 and F30 cars of the same generation.

Soldato
@Egon Just as a bargaining chip, BMW AUC dealers have to replace tyres with less than 4mm tread. At 2.2mm you should be replacing them immediately anyway so that's approx £800 you will be out of pocket.

Also check the service menu in the car's computer (go to Vehicle Status) and check when the next oil, brakes, etc. are due (should give a mileage/date by which the service should be undertaken). The sooner they are due the more relevant it is to negotiating a discount.

Soldato
At 25k on a 3 year old car most things on a car should still be as good as new. I'm guessing its the one from Darren Allick cars?

Brakes and tyres are the only things I can think of which may be due replacement soon. Have you got the registration of the vehicle and done an MOT history check? Called any of the dealers where the car was serviced to double check if it was done and what was done?

Did they move on the price at all? 2.2mm is really a hairs width away from being on the limit so it's a rubbish form that they haven't been replaced already OR that they are replacing them at their cost. Would you buy a car that needed a service in 500 miles if the dealer wasn't prepared to do it or give you money off?

Yes, that's the one. Did you look it up, or had already seen it listed?
Yes I have the reg, the only check I've done is through the DVLA site that mentions the tyres advisories.
They wouldn't move on the price at all, they claimed interest from another party who was also viewing that day as the reason... probably a selling tactic.

@Egon Just as a bargaining chip, BMW AUC dealers have to replace tyres with less than 4mm tread. At 2.2mm you should be replacing them immediately anyway so that's approx £800 you will be out of pocket.

Also check the service menu in the car's computer (go to Vehicle Status) and check when the next oil, brakes, etc. are due (should give a mileage/date by which the service should be undertaken). The sooner they are due the more relevant it is to negotiating a discount.

Are you sure on that, I thought it was 3mm? We checked most of that on the day and it was spot on, but I might ask him to send me some pics. The car comes with a BMW service pack until July 2020 which at least is a bonus.
Do an HPI check, verify service history with main dealers, check iDrive for any errors, use an ODB scanner if you have one.

What are the tyre sizes? You're probably looking at £600-800 to replace all 4 with decent run-flats. Could save a couple of hundred if you go with conventional tyres and a mobility kit.

Make sure to check the condition of the paintwork, as that's expensive to fix, listen to any squeaks and creeks, as there are plenty to be had in F30s, and verify that all electronics are working without issues.

Not a lot to go wrong with these under 60k miles.

Tyres are run flats so yes, not cheap. There's a bit more life left on the fronts at least, over 3mm.
The basic HPI check is clear.

Soldato
On the front yes, the rears are 255/35/19 so the rears are a touch more. The Eagle F1A2s were the cheapest (premium) run flats I'd found as well. I've had the Eagle F1 non runflats on other cars before, but I'd read the run flat equivalents were the worst of the premium brands - for what that's worth! It's got the standard Pirelli P Zeros on at the minute.

Soldato
Are you sure on that, I thought it was 3mm? We checked most of that on the day and it was spot on, but I might ask him to send me some pics. The car comes with a BMW service pack until July 2020 which at least is a bonus.

Legal limit is 1.6mm, BMW recommends to change at 3mm. I must just have had a nice dealer as they changed mine at 4mm.

Soldato
Doing the daily autotrader browse as you do, Visualizing my next sports car would most likely be another BMW, How reliable is the E89 more specifically the 30i engine? Still got the 3.0i E85 but given it to my dad to enjoy as a late mid life crysis car, But I know it wasn't the best built car BMW have made, poor rattely interior, niggly issues like the Vanos, DISA valve, rocker cover gasket and the silly placement of the roof motor (Still didn't regret the purchase, best car i've owned so far), I'd hope being a newer generation it's a far more reliable car, all i know is it's more of a softer GT car compared to the E85/6, and to also stay away from the 35i engine for the fear of my wallet.

Soldato
At 25k on a 3 year old car most things on a car should still be as good as new. I'm guessing its the one from Darren Allick cars?

Been thinking about this, how did you know it was that one? Or was it just the case of a quick search given the details I'd given? :)

Edit: Result from the dealer. I expressed my disappointment in the situation with the rear tyres etc. They've come back to me today to say they'll putting new tyres on. Goodyear F1s run flats rather than the Pirelli's.

As far as I can tell, all seems good on the idrive system, brakes and disks good for another 12k on the front, 36k on the rear. Services carried out as scheduled, no imminent oil changes etc.

The only thing he couldn't confirm is whether the end of warranty check was carried out. If the MOT was done by BMW, which I assume it was, then it should have been done automatically, yes? Any way of checking this?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah good news. Yeh bit cheap of them to not replace tyres which are almost done. And you can bet your bottom dollar that they took money off whoever traded that in to account for the tyres.

Yeh just found the car using the details you provided.

And not sure if they do it automatically when they have an MOT but I'm sure it's fine. You should expect it to be almost brand new condition.

Man of Honour
The end of warranty check is not an official part of the servicing schedule and is just an extra service some dealers offer. It's very unlikely you'll be able to find out if it was ever done and frankly it's not a big deal.

Soldato
I guess I should pop in and say hi now that I'm a proud new owner of a 440i.

Decent first experience with dealers after the sale as well. I've had some rattling/scratching since picking the car up from Sytner Solihull. At first I thought it was my keys in the cup holders but that was soon eliminated, along with everything else obvious so booked it in at Cooper Reading. Turns out some coins were rattling around under the seat. I know they're not mine, and obviously fishing them out is not covered by warranty.

So I was sat in Cooper Reading reception not wanting to pay for it... phone up Solihull and trying to get through to a senior enough person. Solihull and Reading were talking to each other for a while but I didn't have to argue my case (although reading between the lines Cooper did a bit of reasoning on my behalf): Solihull agreed to reimburse me the cost for this issue, so I'm happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom