BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
The BMW 530d (2014) I purchased comes with a professional satnav (NBT), which appears to have maps that have not been updated since 2014 (Road Map Europe Next 2014-2).

Is the USB Map Update from Connected Drive for £69.95/2 years my best bet in getting this up to date? I have already carried out a free media software update.

Are there any other Connected Drive services worth looking into?

Soldato
Real Time Traffic Information at 40 quid a year is worth it, you'll get remote services with that as well.
Thanks Fox, I'll look into it. Is it worth paying for both services then (updated maps and RTTI)? Also, I think it already comes with Remote Services, as I was able to use them online when I got the car.

Some pics and specs of the car below.

BMW 530d M-Sport (F10 LCI - 2014)
  • Carbon Black metallic paint
  • Oyster Black interior with Dark Ash Wood trim
  • Comfort seats with memory function
  • Digital Cockpit
  • Professional Navigation
  • Harman&Kardon speakers
  • Adaptive xenon headlights with High Beam assist
  • Rear-view camera
  • Folding mirrors
  • Split folding rear seats
  • Electric sunroof
  • M-Sport bodykit
  • Standard suspension

20180915_171641_2.jpg

20180915_135132_1.jpg

20180915_135225.jpg

20180915_135238.jpg

20180915_135249.jpg

Soldato
Genuine question

Why is the cold/warm mix like this on the F10/F11 peasant models? It wasn't like this in the M5, the centre vents were individually air mixed hot / cold. I'm assuming it's because it's not the advanced climate?

Y6w5TQj.png

Man of Honour
The advanced climate is like that as well. You need 4 zone for separate driver and passenger hot/cold mixer.

Only the M5 and Active Hybrid5 had that as standard so the ''peasant models" you refer to include such base models as the 550i.

The bigger problem is that the 520d comes with the basic climate system which has no solar sensor, no fogging sensor and reduced vent settings.

Soldato
Picked up the new car at the weekend. Drove it like a granddad all the way home :D

Had a bit more fun on Sunday. ;)

Still getting used to the idrive system. I was looking into the current version and if there were any updates. Maps are on 2018-1 so not too bad, are these released every 6 months? What months?

The other software versions look like they need an update too, but I can't tell if they are worth it or not, according to the release notes they're all to do with the connecting to the latest iPhones. No use to me as I run android. I assume there must be other useful updates in there. Can anyone shed any light?

I understand MB is media, TB is telephone. Any idea what the 'Add-on' listed here is? HB-001...

9fMLxPr.jpg

Soldato
The software updates include Bluetooth, device compatibility, and multimedia patches.

As it's a partial software update, not much that can go wrong, just make sure you use the correct VIN and download it from the BMW website.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/mobile/software-updates

The most recent version of the BMW Maps is 2018-2 at the moment.

You can get a 2 year subscription to the latest maps (USB download) for £69.95 from Connected Drive.

Soldato
The software updates include Bluetooth, device compatibility, and multimedia patches.

As it's a partial software update, not much that can go wrong, just make sure you use the correct VIN and download it from the BMW website.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/bmw-ownership/mobile/software-updates

The most recent version of the BMW Maps is 2018-2 at the moment.

You can get a 2 year subscription to the latest maps (USB download) for £69.95 from Connected Drive.

I'll try updating the idrive version tonight then and see how it goes.

However I'm even more confused about the maps because I noticed yesterday that it is showing the following:

Europe
BMW Group
Road Map EUROPE EVO 2018-1

NBTevo_E15501A
Automatic map update
GB, IE (2018-2)

This seems like conflicting information to me, 2018-1 and 2018-2. I don't understand what that bottom half is telling me! Can you shed any light for me?

Man of Honour
Your car has automated over the air navigation map updates.

However, whilst the cars installed navigation map is for all of Europe, the over the air updates only update for your home region. So, you've got the 2018-1 base map but it's been updated automatically to 2018-2 for the UK.

Soldato
OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification Fox.
Is there any way I can check if that has expired? I think the majority of the connected drive services I have on the car expire at the end of the month.

Associate
Last 6 weeks or so I’ve noticed my 320d (f30) is very jerky when at Low speeds say 10-35mph, it’s the automatic version and it’s almost like the engine isn’t sure what gear to be in. I’m going to ring stratstone soon and get it booked in, was just wondering if anyone had anything similar? Only has 25k on it and has been spot on so far just this defo doesn’t feel right.

Soldato
OK, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification Fox.
Is there any way I can check if that has expired? I think the majority of the connected drive services I have on the car expire at the end of the month.

Create a connected drive account @ https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.uk/app/index.html#/portal

It will tell you all the available services and expiry dates of them for the car. These should also be detailed in the connected drive section on idrive.

2018-3 maps are now available so grab them before it expires at the end of the month.

Soldato
How in idrive can I select multiple folders to play music from? Background, I created a usb stick with music, individual folders for all artists, imported the lot to the internal hard drive so I now have a folder called rock/pop with loads of sub folders.

When I browse folders I get rock/pop when I click on it I get a list of all the artists/folders, I want to be able to play all the songs in this folder, how?

Soldato
I know the electric cars are not popular here, let alone the i3, but it's impressive how quickly this tech is evolving.

193 miles on a charge is very decent from a lightweight EV.

BMW's i division has upgraded the electric-powered i3 with a new battery that is claimed to extend its range by almost 30% under everyday driving conditions.

The new 120Ah lithium ion unit replaces the 94Ah battery used by the existing i3 and brings a 9.2kWh increase in energy capacity for the quirky five-door hatchback, at 42.2kWh.

In the standard 168bhp i3, it provides a range of 193 miles, or up to 34 miles more than the predecessor model, under the newly introduced Worldwide Harmonised Light Vehicle Test Procedure (WLTP).

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-paris-motor-show/updated-bmw-i3-gets-greater-range

Back
Top Bottom