Raspberry Pi - $35 Linux computer

Man of Honour
I've been working on improving/adding to an existing project.

Couple of components to locate a little differently for clearance, and another two pin header to accept a button input to add.

In short it's a "HAT" that has:
ADS1115 ADC Board header to accept a two temperature and a pressure sensor (With the necessary voltage dividers to convert resistance to voltage)
A Molex Mini-Fit Jr header for sensor inputs.
4 pin header to connect a 1.3" OLED display
5v Buzzer + N-channel MOSFET allowing me to switch 5v with a GPIO pin via PWM
2 Pin header (To add - button input to change what's displayed on the OLED display)

WEtBxN5.png

Sounds great. Now to educate myself.on how to do this.

It should be relatively simple, even if you've never used python before.

It'll be two wires from the reed switch (One to 3.3v the other to a GPIO pin

This guide will cover the basic python side

http://raspi.tv/2013/how-to-use-interrupts-with-python-on-the-raspberry-pi-and-rpi-gpio-part-3

Associate
Pi 3 B+ released today by looks of things. 1.4Ghz 64-bit CPU, onboard dual-band wifi and bluetooth, 300mbit ethernet, 1gb LPDDR2 SDRAM and impressively POE but which requires an adapter. Still, impressive specs for the price.
Definitely good value for someone getting into a Pi, but I cant justify the upgrade over the Pi3B I already have. It does everything I need flawlessly.

Caporegime
Found a monitor on eBay, I've since discovered that you can set up Alexa on a RPi too, would a zero be enough to do both? But then how would I get sound as there's no 3.5mm jack's on it.

Associate
Cant believe its taken me so long to get a Pi, and I'm actually now thinking of getting another!
I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3b+ 2 weeks ago, and at this point I use it for EmulationStation, and an SQL web server to get back into programming.

I'm now thinking what else can it do - whats the best projects on here people have used a Pi for? Myself I'm thinking I can link in my sql server, with a database to pull the external temperature from the local weather station, and then in time add to that internal temperature of my flat. Once I've done this, I think the next step might be to build a DIY home energy monitor. There are lots of articles out there of non obtrusive electricity monitors that snap onto cables. The ideal place for this is likely next to the electricity meter/fuse box, but I think I would need to open the fuse box if I wanted to measure individual circuits. A further issue would be where to get power to run the monitor - there are no sockets here! Perhaps this is where the Pi Zero W comes into play?

Soldato
Cant believe its taken me so long to get a Pi, and I'm actually now thinking of getting another!
I purchased a Raspberry Pi 3b+ 2 weeks ago, and at this point I use it for EmulationStation, and an SQL web server to get back into programming.

I'm now thinking what else can it do - whats the best projects on here people have used a Pi for? Myself I'm thinking I can link in my sql server, with a database to pull the external temperature from the local weather station, and then in time add to that internal temperature of my flat. Once I've done this, I think the next step might be to build a DIY home energy monitor. There are lots of articles out there of non obtrusive electricity monitors that snap onto cables. The ideal place for this is likely next to the electricity meter/fuse box, but I think I would need to open the fuse box if I wanted to measure individual circuits. A further issue would be where to get power to run the monitor - there are no sockets here! Perhaps this is where the Pi Zero W comes into play?

I used my old one for an ADS-B receiver. It's currently disassembled whilst I try and get the antenna mounted higher up.

Soldato
Finally got in to the whole Pi thing at the end of last week. I've already bought my second case and now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of Retropie.

At times it's been terribly frustrating, but today things seem to falling in to place. Discovery Amiberry (for Retropie) in particular has proven to be revelation.

Associate
So I have finally finished my retropie setup, however it has significantly slowed down now I've added all the games I had on the various systems. It used to boot up in 15-20 seconds into Retropie, but now takes nearer a minute if not more. Not sure if its something to do with the memory card, or trying to refresh my games library every time its switched on?

Oh and also got a Pi Zero W to run as a web server :)

Soldato
Official TV Hat now available:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-tv-hat/
https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry-pi-tv-hat

Quite timely as I'm just about to mess about with a Pi and the Xbox one tuner, to link up with Emby/Plex as part of a SkyQ "alternative"

Edit: Appears you can only use one TV Hat

I was under the impression that the cool kids used the PS3 TV kit as it’s supported under Linux and is more capable. My own SkyQ journey is HDMI splitter + baluns + remote IR, but my needs are probably a little different.

Don
I was under the impression that the cool kids used the PS3 TV kit as it’s supported under Linux and is more capable. My own SkyQ journey is HDMI splitter + baluns + remote IR, but my needs are probably a little different.

The Xbox one tuner cost me £4 so was worth a go. Seemingly works with my pi and libreelec, but flaky as anything under libreelec x86 on my Xeon pc.
Hopefully have a ps3 playtv on the way as well to mess about with, although that doesn't do HD channels.

Back
Top Bottom