Captain Marvel (2019)

Soldato
I don't think people are complaining about Larson not smiling and thus her not being "pretty enough". People are complaining about her coming across in the trailer as having a total personality vacuum. It isn't helped by the fact that the few lines she has, she speaks in an uninterested little girl voice.

It's not some sort of sexist attack on Larson not being feminine enough, it's about expecting the new big MCU superhero to be larger than life, to create awe, and have the charisma and screen presence that the character deserves.

I'm not surprised the professionally offended are labelling fan criticism as a misogynist/sexist attack in order to dismiss it, that's what happens nowadays. The fact is that the fans don't care about the character's gender (they've been buying into Captain Marvel as a woman for years), they just want the movie to be stunningly good and blow everyone away.

Soldato
Just wait for the film, how can you say somebody is a personality vacuum from a teaser trailer?

Because I'm commenting on how she comes across in the two minute (not a teaser) trailer. As is everyone else. No one is saying she is a personality vacuum or that is how she is for the whole movie (the public don't know yet). All they have and all they are commenting on is the trailer that has been released to get the fans interested/excited. She's lacking charisma in the first two marketing events we've seen.

Caporegime
Because I'm commenting on how she comes across in the two minute (not a teaser) trailer. As is everyone else. No one is saying she is a personality vacuum or that is how she is for the whole movie (the public don't know yet). All they have and all they are commenting on is the trailer that has been released to get the fans interested/excited. She's lacking charisma in the first two marketing events we've seen.
So the trailer wasn't cut by her and she is directed in a certain way. That's hardly her fault.

Soldato
So the trailer wasn't cut by her and she is directed in a certain way. That's hardly her fault.

I don't know. Maybe it's her acting style (a lot of American actors seem to use the script as a suggested starting point), maybe it's the way she's been directed. I don't hold her personally responsible as an actress, I'm just commenting on the character on screen as it is portrayed. All I can go on is what we've been given so far.

I don't know when we came to the point where commenting on the character and it's portrayal became a personal attack on the actor. It's just another way to shout down any critical comments people don't like by namecalling or strawmanning. Saying Larson's portrayal in what little we've seen is not working for me doesn't mean I'm attacking the actress. Maybe she's not doing a good job, maybe the directing is not getting the best out of her (as we've seen in other films). She wouldn't be the first actor to be poor in some things and great in others.

The first trailer for Captain Marvel should blow us away, and the obvious weak point is what we've seen of the main character as acting in a bland and disinterested way. Captain Marvel as the main character should be bigger and better than that, right from the very first trailers. It's a misstep from Marvel that we're even having this discussion, that there's anything in that trailer to have reservations or misapprehensions about, let alone the lead actress who has to carry the films and future MCU titles.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, why cast an Oscar winning actress? Ridiculous.

:rolleyes:

None of the other Avengers has won an Oscar so why would that be a yard stick to measure whether that person is a good "fit" for the MCU? I'm sure multiple Oscar winner Daniel Day Lewis would be awful if originally cast as Tony Stark instead of Robert Downie Jr for example.

As mentioned before, Brie CAN act fantastically well so either she, or the studio, have made the conscious decision (for a so far unknown reason) to have her act with a bland emotion-less face from the footage we've seen so far. So not just "no smiling" but not showing anything at all - no fear, determination, anger, hope, passion, love, humour, charisma - just a grimace when on top of the train shooting "lasers" out of her fists.

I'm hoping it's just a bad trailer and the next one will show more of Brie's range just as a "see what I can do" to the fans but, on the basis of that 2 min trailer, I'd say people have every right to complain.

Soldato
Yeap I think we could be but we can only make a judgement based on what the trailer has shown us, maybe a "better" trailer wouldn't have caused so much fuss.

Back
Top Bottom