Iceland 3 nights including Northern Lights - realistic clothes

Soldato
Hi all,

Venturing off to Iceland for a 3 night stay in November and we've got a night trip to northern lights(hopefully) and then a day trekking about then a free day the 3rd day. We've googled what clothing to wear but we're on a bit of a budget with clothes buying so wondering if anyone has any advice on what definitely needs buying and what is probably a waste of money.

I'm naturally always baking hot and sweat loads even in winter and in coats and my wife's always cold even in the middle of summer.

Also anyone got any ideas what to do in Rejavik on the free 3rd day. So any tips would be great.

Soldato
Depends on the weather of course but we did a similar trip last December and it was between -6 and -14 depending where we were. Wore a £11 woolly hat from Amazon, £2.75 woolly gloves from eBay, a Skogstad parka (about £150 but already owned), a craghoppers microfleece (£20 or so), t-shirt, some fleeced walking trousers and walking boots. Were kept warm and had option of layers.

If temp is 0 degrees or above should get away with normal walking trousers with that and maybe a lighter coat. Depends how you get to and from things and how much walking you do but all the excursions we did had heated buses or boats.

Third day I would consider whale watching in the morning and go to some of the small museums and churches in Reykjavik as we did that and it was pleasant just wondering about. Also as you should know already Iceland is whoppingly expensive!

Man of Honour
I'm going next June, if you're looking for something to do on the free day there's a free thermal beach in the city you can visit instead of the crazy expensive blue lagoon. Also if you scuba there's a really unique dive in a fissure in Silfra. £280 for two dives so not cheap but the photos are spectacular, it's the main reason I'm going to Iceland.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both. It says average temps in November are 4c so I can imagine it drops quite a bit at times.

That thermal beach sounds good but in November is that viable. The blue lagoon does seem very overpriced for a 2hr visit.

We know Iceland is very expensive so we've said this will be an alcohol free trip and limited food expense but want to treat the wife to at least one good night.

Man of Honour
Thanks both. It says average temps in November are 4c so I can imagine it drops quite a bit at times.

That thermal beach sounds good but in November is that viable. The blue lagoon does seem very overpriced for a 2hr visit.

We know Iceland is very expensive so we've said this will be an alcohol free trip and limited food expense but want to treat the wife to at least one good night.

The thermal beach also has a big hot hub and is open all year I believe. The nice thing with it being free is at least you can just go have a look and decide what to do :).

Yeah the whole place is crazy expensive, they really sucker you in with the cheap flights though! I'm stopping in the Faroe Islands on the way up there which really isn't helping the budget either.

Soldato
Hi all,

Venturing off to Iceland for a 3 night stay in November and we've got a night trip to northern lights(hopefully) and then a day trekking about then a free day the 3rd day. We've googled what clothing to wear but we're on a bit of a budget with clothes buying so wondering if anyone has any advice on what definitely needs buying and what is probably a waste of money.

I'm naturally always baking hot and sweat loads even in winter and in coats and my wife's always cold even in the middle of summer.

Also anyone got any ideas what to do in Rejavik on the free 3rd day. So any tips would be great.
In the capital in the day it is not to bad but if you go out to see the northern lights or go into glacier or ice tunnels you need multiple layers. Do not underestimate the wind and the impact it can have. If you do not see the northern lights most tour groups will if you ask let you go the next night for free and be prepared to get back to the hotel late. +1 vote for the blue lagoon its well worth the trip for most people.

In some areas fish and chips can be around £20 but it is amazing fish and ships. In some parts of the glacier, soup and bread was £20. When people say its crazy expensive they really do mean it. Depending on hotel pocket extra breakfast and use it for lunch. For drinks the water is amazing, so pure compared to here and tends to be free.

I can recommend the Golden Circle tour and/or ice tunnel in the glacier.

EDIt: Forgot to say we loved the Mink Viking Portrait Studio
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...Portrait_Studio-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html

Last edited:
Soldato
3rd day do a 1/2 day snowmobiling tour if you can afford it.

Its not too expensive (or wasnt in 2015) It generally cost around £4-6 a pint and meal was about £20. Certainly no more than London or European ski resorts

Associate
It maybe 4c in the Reykjavik however its like -13c in land at the waterfall etc so would definitely recommend big jackets/gloves and hats. Also consider going to diamond beach! Its amazing

Soldato
Blue Lagoon is worth it even for just the bus drive out past the Mars like rockscape. They do great fruit smothies while you're floating aboyt too.

Reykjavik is a great place to just mooch about though, plenty going on and just a lovely place.

Just get some thermal underwear and layer up on top. Cover up your bits and bobs.

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Wife and I were there in early December last year. I'm normally too warm and she's often too cold.
I had some bamboo fibre base layers from GoOutdoors, wind/waterproof trousers, t-shirt, long sleeved fleece and water/windproof coat, merino wool socks and walking boots. I had some Sealskinz gloves, and they were useless. The only bit of me that got cold was my hands!

My wife had merino wool base layers (from Decathlon), lined water/windproof trousers, t-shirt, fleece, a ski jacket, merino wool thin gloves and some ski gloves over the top.

When we were out of Reykjavik it was -15c, with a feels like temp of -20c. Worse nearer the waterfalls as you have the fine spray from them making it feel even colder.

I wish I had some merino wool thin gloves to under my thicker gloves as I had to give up trying to take photos as my hands began to hurt very quickly!

Permabanned
Merino wool regulates the body temperature and wicks the sweat. That stuff costs money i spent 200 pounds on a merino base layer and another 2 on the shells. And cheap polyester fleece is the midlayer i would not wear that itchy plastic crap as a base layer but your going to have too because of money.

And some of it inc the stuff i have is made from plastic bottles. So your prostate etc will love all that plastic offgassing too. Thats why people pay for outdoor gear polyester causes cancer im sure of it.

Soldato
I went in February, it ranged between -5 and -10.

It isn’t *that* cold, normal winter cloths are fine in the city. Most of the time in the city you will be going in shops etc where it is warm. I was constantly taking my jacket off to stay cool. It’s just the worst if you end up sweating.

On the northern lights tours you spend most of it on a heated bus, again just normal cloths. If you are cold just add an extra layer.

I really wouldn’t bother buying anything just for the trip. Most people have a thick wind proof jacket, warm hat and think gloves already. If you don’t just buy cheap stuff at mountain warehouse, it’s more than sufficient.

If you are going up on the glacier on the other hand you need to make sure you are appropriately dressed as there is little shelter and it’s much colder. As others have said you can normally rent this or it’s included.

Permabanned

For 3 days polyester does it cheaper but it can itch. I would risk cotton on a budget you get cotton easy enough and cheap it only is bad when wet you get cold fast and it is hard to dry.

That shirt has Acrylic too btw thats another man made fibre which left me with a nasty rash. Honestly this crap is everywhere you wonder what the worlds came too when man is given hemp and cotton and wool and he wears Acrylic or Polyester to shed fibres.

Back
Top Bottom