Tabletop Warhammer?

Soldato
Well @Pookie Bear got the better deal on them models, the Khorne ones are all unbuilt or at worst badly stuck. I've got the stormcast ones and one is broken beyond repair, a few damaged that I'm trying to do running repairs on but worst of all they've all been stuck but then based although the person has used Dulux paints and a roller. It's horrific and a load of detail has been lost. Trying the Dettol technique to strip the paint, testing it on the broken one at the moment.

Bit annoying but hopefully I can strip them or its £20 wasted.

Commissario
If you get stuck with the paint, biostrip it:)

It works really well as you can either slather it on, or dip the model in and pull it out, leave it for about 30 minutes and most of the paint will have likely pealed off, then a toothbrush for the rest.
It's give the best results for my brothers attempts, and iirc he's tried oven cleaners, dettol, various other methods.

Soldato
Well @Pookie Bear got the better deal on them models, the Khorne ones are all unbuilt or at worst badly stuck. I've got the stormcast ones and one is broken beyond repair, a few damaged that I'm trying to do running repairs on but worst of all they've all been stuck but then based although the person has used Dulux paints and a roller. It's horrific and a load of detail has been lost. Trying the Dettol technique to strip the paint, testing it on the broken one at the moment.

A bit of a shame, but hopefully one of the suggested cleaning techniques works. I've tried Isopropyl Alcohol and Dettol, but never heard of biostrip.

I always avoided skin. After watching this guy, I was quite happy with skin techniques. I put up some photos a few pages ago of my Khorne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOFo4Bbadfw
Thanks for that. Interesting technique.

Soldato

Everyone has their own way of stripping. I use Dettol, £3 for a bottle. Doesn't seem to harm the models, but it does make them smell for a long time, even after undercoating. Anything that was resistant to Dettol (small bits of paint stuck in details) I use some Isopropanol. I wouldn't soak them in it, as suggested above. I just spray and clean with tooth brush.
I bought the Thunder and Blood set for very cheap. Quite a bit was damaged and a couple models painted with what seemed like Hammerite but only two of the Khorne had lost any detail (Dettol/Isopropanol would not shift all the paint). I bought some Eternal hammers of Ebay to replace some broken ones. The Khorne horn blower had lost his horn so crafted my own out of some Fymo.

I spent a lot of time bringing them back up to a decent standard, although I decided I had far too many models to paint and was not getting anything done, so I sold them... for a lot more than what I bought them for.

I think I get the most fun repairing and rebuilding broken models!

Soldato
Everyone has their own way of stripping. I use Dettol, £3 for a bottle. Doesn't seem to harm the models, but it does make them smell for a long time, even after undercoating. Anything that was resistant to Dettol (small bits of paint stuck in details) I use some Isopropanol. I wouldn't soak them in it, as suggested above. I just spray and clean with tooth brush.
I bought the Thunder and Blood set for very cheap. Quite a bit was damaged and a couple models painted with what seemed like Hammerite but only two of the Khorne had lost any detail (Dettol/Isopropanol would not shift all the paint). I bought some Eternal hammers of Ebay to replace some broken ones. The Khorne horn blower had lost his horn so crafted my own out of some Fymo.

I spent a lot of time bringing them back up to a decent standard, although I decided I had far too many models to paint and was not getting anything done, so I sold them... for a lot more than what I bought them for.

I think I get the most fun repairing and rebuilding broken models!

The Dettol is making (slow) progress, will be sitting down later to give them another good scrub.

Tempted to pick up some biostrip as 30mins to clean sounds appealing

Commissario
the biostrip is pretty awesome, as it is actually a paint stripper as it's primary job (as opposed to having that effect as a byproduct), if you find you like it, you can buy it in 5l tubs for decorating fairly cheaply (IIRC about £20) which will last forever with models :)

I may have gone a bit wrong today, I picked up Rogue Trader :D
I'm probably going to do the Rogue Trader team first.

Soldato
Biostrip does indeed work well. Downside is it's messy and can be a pain to wash off on certain minis. It's a real shame that they changed the recipe on fairy power spray. The old one was better than biostrip with none of the downsides.

Soldato
Although I previously said I would not recommend soaking a miniature in isopropanol, i'll have to take that recommendation back. Just tried it with some grey plastic Orks, that were coated in a layer of green and a layer of red. Can't tell what kind of paint they were, but after soaking in isopropanol for an hour the paint came off very well, possibly better than Dettol, and I cant see any loss of detail on the model.
Obviously different paints will react differently and I'm not sure if the other types of coloured plastic they make the models out of will give a different result.

Soldato
Ive been reading up a lot on this.

Dettol works perfectly fine, I've done it myself now several times. And another positive of dettol is that it is really easy to get hold of - just grab it in your weekly shop etc.

The drawbacks are, its slow, you need to leave it at least overnight, 24-48 hours ideally. It stinks. It needs a good scrub with a toothbrush after and rinsing it a little more (more dettol I find works well) and that can get messy.

Also I have done a couple where it didnt take 100% of the paint off in one go, but like 99% (you can undercoat over and you would never tell).

Ive not tried the isopropyl alcohol but from what I've read it's better in pretty much all respects if you can get hold of it.

A seperate subject - I am progressing with these Grey Knights, amassed around 1500 point army so far, I have got the rule book + codex so have a better idea what I am doing. Still 100% metal (well aside from backpacks and a couple or arm conversions), all from ebay.

I managed to buy 10 of the teleporter back packs from ebay, as far as I can tell, is the only real difference between the strike squads and interceptor squads. I got an (inquisitor?) I think in terminator armour from 1989 which will make a great Chaplain.

But yeah, 28 models so far (plus 2 dreadnaughts) , 15 painted so far. My painting is getting a little better, I will never be pro lol, but a good tabletop standard is all I aim for.

Also now reading through the rules, it is a lot more flexible than I thought it might be in terms of what can be included in your army, the fact that you can mix and match detachments, and even include different armies in (imperial guard + space marines etc) together, yes ok, you cannot field and army of just 12 dreadnaughts, but personally think it is very flexible.

Soldato
Before;

qj4Ey8d.jpg

Stripped and based;

z08Gc69.jpg

Finished;

5NMTT68.jpg

Happy with the turnaround, I didn't actually manage to get all the blue off despite the neck end of 48 hours in Dettol. Not sure it was a failure of Dettol, the person who had them must have used blinking household paint, the models had no detail until they were stripped back. Pretty happy with the results all in all though and at least they are salvagable, a PITA to do so but I'm happy it isn't money wasted! :)

PS. I know they it's a different model that is based to finished, was just an example :p

Soldato
These Orks I'm stripping. Underneath a coat of horrid green, one was actually very well painted... checkered shoulder pads n' all. Shame it all had to come off. I guess the seller probably sprayed them all to make them look semi-started.

Soldato
My first ever real attempt at painting was Errtu the Balor from one of the D&D boxsets. It was bad paint, bad technique and not the greatest model either. So after my failures, I decided to Dettol him. That was about a year ago. I then basically gave up painting minis. He still smells now - even though I'm busy redoing his paint job at the moment. I think he'll always smell!

Soldato
Before;

Stripped and based;

Finished;

Happy with the turnaround, I didn't actually manage to get all the blue off despite the neck end of 48 hours in Dettol. Not sure it was a failure of Dettol, the person who had them must have used blinking household paint, the models had no detail until they were stripped back. Pretty happy with the results all in all though and at least they are salvagable, a PITA to do so but I'm happy it isn't money wasted! :)

PS. I know they it's a different model that is based to finished, was just an example :p

Looks really nice. Have you put any Agrax Earthshade on it? Just about every I do now get a decent coat!

Soldato
Yeah washed the gold in agrax then highlighted in the gold layer (whatever its name is) washed the black with nuln oil, the blue in something blue shade (can't remember name)

Edge highlighted the silver with a light grey and really happy with the results, makes it really pop.

Soldato
So I visited the parents and they had kept my old Warhammer models. Damn I didn't realise how many I had.

I've got about 30 Dark Angels, 10 man squad, 5 assault squad, 5, terminators, azreal, asmodai, techmarine, razorback tank and Dreadnaught, few other randoms.

Tyranids, probably around 40 or so, maybe more, carnifex, 2 hive tyrants, lictor, Tyranid warriors, then a load of genestealers and hormagants, some thing with a big brain, some things that look like cannons.

Then Imperial guard...well. Basilisk, Hellhound tank, lemon Russ, some walker thing, heavy weapons squads, and what I estimate to be at least 60 troops.

The majority of the above are metal, and most of it is early 90's, I think some of the imperial guard are a bit later.

Plus a ton of 2nd gen books, including one Ork book which is selling on eBay for £55-£60.

It's like Christmas come early. I'm gonna write to Dettol and see if I can bulk order direct from the factory!

Soldato
So I visited the parents and they had kept my old Warhammer models. Damn I didn't realise how many I had.

I've got about 30 Dark Angels, 10 man squad, 5 assault squad, 5, terminators, azreal, asmodai, techmarine, razorback tank and Dreadnaught, few other randoms.

Tyranids, probably around 40 or so, maybe more, carnifex, 2 hive tyrants, lictor, Tyranid warriors, then a load of genestealers and hormagants, some thing with a big brain, some things that look like cannons.

Then Imperial guard...well. Basilisk, Hellhound tank, lemon Russ, some walker thing, heavy weapons squads, and what I estimate to be at least 60 troops.

The majority of the above are metal, and most of it is early 90's, I think some of the imperial guard are a bit later.

Plus a ton of 2nd gen books, including one Ork book which is selling on eBay for £55-£60.

It's like Christmas come early. I'm gonna write to Dettol and see if I can bulk order direct from the factory!

Go with that biostrip, doubt I would bother with Dettol again, done that job but barely.

Soldato
These Orks I'm stripping. Underneath a coat of horrid green, one was actually very well painted... checkered shoulder pads n' all. Shame it all had to come off. I guess the seller probably sprayed them all to make them look semi-started.

Yeah I think a lot of ebay sellers dont realise you can paint strip them, so think they will get more money if sold as unpainted or base coated.

I recently purchased a space marine dreadnaught from a random low score seller, early 90's made from metal, got it real cheap to. The ebay picture looked like it was base metal, when it turned up, I was a bit like..mmm either this has been coated/dipped in some industrial grade metallic paint (like Hammerite metal fence paint or similar) /or it is still the base metal and its been put though the washing machine on an 1800 spin.

Yesterday I dettol dipped somewhat pesamistic.

Anyway today I took it out, was first happy to see that it was some kind of paint that was falling off, but was obvious to see that underneath that silver gloop covering the model, was actually a really nice ultramarine paint job. Shame in away that came straight off also.

I can't think of any other reason why someone would do that.

Back
Top Bottom